So have you guys been getting your anime doses?

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 6 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Re: So have you guys been getting your anime doses?

Post by Ivogoji »

Broke the 100 Anime Completion threshold on MyAnimelist in December, looking to finish up the 2016 Anime I didn't complete.

Probably going to watch the entire Dragon Ball saga. Not from start to finish, I mean watching DB, DBZ (Bruce Faulconer edition), and DBS all at the same time. I've done it before with Pokemon, this should be easy in comparison.

Speaking of Pokemon, I should make the effort at least to watch Sun & Moon. I did love XYZ.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Xeno
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by Xeno »

Wow, 100 completed anime is a solid milestone; I hope you enjoy streamlining the Dragon Ball saga. I haven't watched either of those series that you've mentioned, but I might look into watching Dragon Ball some time in the future.

I broke the threshold of 30 completed anime on MyAnimeList in December, even though I've had my account for more than four years. I finished watching Girlish Number last week (the seiyuu comedy), and now I'm planning to finish off Lucky Star that I held off for a good while now. This may sound silly, but I will only really watch an anime if I own a physical copy of it, unless it's a newly aired anime.

A few weeks ago, I ordered myself $400 worth of anime Blu-rays from RightStuf as they were having a winter sale, and I got myself: Mayo Chiki!, Non Non Biyori, a Limited Edition copy of Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Rebellion, Girls und Panzer, Is the Order a Rabbit?, K-On!!, YuruYuri: Happy Go Lily, and Wakaba Girl (all of which I still have to watch, except for Non Non Biyori, the third Madoka Magica film, and Wakaba Girl, heh).
“Life’s not cruel until you put the game controller down.”

This is a little philosophical gem that I said when I was insanely tired.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Thanks, good luck tackling your own Plan To Watch list.
Xeno wrote: This may sound silly, but I will only really watch an anime if I own a physical copy of it, unless it's a newly aired anime.
Hell, I'd never stream anime if I could afford to buy new media.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

If ripping DVD/Blu-Ray was as easy as ripping CDs, I might buy more DVD/Blu-Ray, but since it isn't, most of my media budget goes to CD audiobooks.

Anyways, last thing I finished listening to was the first Megaman NT Warrior series. Might torrent Axess at some point, but I'd like to make some progress on what's already queued on my media player.

Speaking of which, said Queue currently consists of:
Cardcaptor Sakura for an episode-by-episode comparison of the Nelvana and Animax dubs.
Digimon Adventure 02, Tamers, and Frontier.
Episodes 20-52 of the original Speed Racer.
Voltron

Though these have to compete with my reading list, which currently consists of:
~1M words of Harry Potter Fanfiction(Currently reading Invincible Technomage, an HP/Marvel crossover where Harry is adopted by Tony Stark after the Dursleys are killed during an accident at a Stark facility, next on my list is the Accidental Animagus, the last in my current Fanfiction binge, but over half a million in it's own right not counting it's ongoing sequel or a sidestory collection)
Audiobooks of:
Star Wars Episodes 2, 3, and 7.
The Years of Lyndon Johnson
A Radio documentary on the US Constitution.
eBooks of Sword Art Online volumes 2-12.

Though, I did recently finish an eBook of Bow Wow 2 Dog Night and hope to check out the author's other works.

Actually, if anyone has any recommendations for Light Novels with Official, English eBook releases in non-Kindle format, please let me know. As someone who use to make near weekly purchases of Manga volumes when he had access to stores that carried them, subscriptions to Viz Shonen Jump, Shojo Beat, and Yen Plus prior to their discontinuation/Digitization, and has been known to buy dozens of Manga volumes in single Amazon orders to then binge read, I miss having an outlet to support the licensing market. If any Drama CDs have gotten dubbed, I'd like to know of that as well, though I'm fairly sure licensees pretty much universally ignore those even when attached to series with mainstream or near mainstream appeal this side of the Pacific.
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by wic. »

waiting for vento aureo
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

^

Same here, it'll be the first of the JoJo anime I'll watch the whole way through. I'm hoping it'll improve it tenfold, because it made Part 2 go from great to amazing.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by wic. »

I think it'll be pretty good. VA is a pretty good part in terms of the manga, but I feel like if it's animated well, then it's visual aesthetic will really shine bright. I think that VA really pales in comparison to DiU and Stone Ocean though. Those two are two of my favorite parts. But then again, part 3 wasn't one of my favorites. I really liked it, but I feel it pales in comparison to some of the later parts.

For me personally I'd have to rank them as 1>3>2>5>>4>6>7. I'm holding off on rating 8 since I wanna see where it'll go. But yea, I really like all of jojo, but absolutely like DiU, SO, and SBR.

Vento Aureo has the unique distinction of being the first Jojo to make me cry like a lil *****. Spoiler: it's when Narancia dies
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao

Post by retrolinkx »

^

Wic, greater than signs go the other way.

For a second there I thought you were hating on Part 7. I still remember those signs as being a Fox's mouth trying to eat the most chickens, and thus the side that's "open" is the side that has the most chickens for the Fox to eat. Learnt it 12 years ago and it still sticks.

I have a pretty unpopular opinon of Jojo's but even I'm not sure with them, since I read 1, 2, 3 and 4 during a great month where I did nothing with my time and honestly it was really comfy so I always remember it as a good time, but 5 and 6 I read in a day, and 7 I read in 2 months. I only really enjoyed 2, 3 and 4 when I look back at Jojo.

I rank them like this, but it could change at any time.

4 > 2 > 3 > 7 > 6 > 1 > 5

I hated 5 since it was SO BORING. It started out great, then it was 2000 pages of boring then it got good by the end, plus I can't even remember any of the characters just because they had dumb italian names and I couldn't care for any of them as much as I did in Part 2, 3 and 4. I really hope the anime gives it justice.
taco chao
Brave Chao
Brave Chao

Post by taco chao »

Just finished Death Parade, that was an interesting one to watch. Currently watching Evangelion after having a friend pester me about it, and it's feeling pretty good so far, if a bit dry at times.

I still need to watch Kaiji at the request of Retro from a few months ago. I didn't dislike it- it was unique and well-written, I just sorta... stopped. Forgot about it, I guess. I'm guilty of that a lot. Also gotta get to Jojo's, not sure if I want to go for the manga or the anime. I swear my to-watch/to-read list grows faster than I can shrink it, but whaddya gonna do?
I'm foo757#1804 on battle.net, if anyone is up for Hearthstone/Overwatch.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao

Post by retrolinkx »

taco chao wrote:I still need to watch Kaiji at the request of Retro from a few months ago. I didn't dislike it- it was unique and well-written, I just sorta... stopped. Forgot about it, I guess. I'm guilty of that a lot. Also gotta get to Jojo's, not sure if I want to go for the manga or the anime. I swear my to-watch/to-read list grows faster than I can shrink it, but whaddya gonna do?
That's cool, but watch Kaiji whenever. It's 10/10 anime with manly tears, amazing music, great story, great characters, chills and thrills. It's honestly amazing.

As for Jojo, don't be an animeonlyfag and read it. You can watch the anime if you want, but transitioning from Part 4 anime to reading Part 5 will be jarring, plus if you're going to wait for them to make Part 5, 6 and 7 into anime, enjoy avoiding spoilers for the next 6 years or so. You're better off reading them overall.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

I haven't watched anything new, still keeping my eye on DB Super and holding out for Boku No Hero Academia's second season this summer, but I wanted to ask everybody here a question:

What do you personally think is the worst anime you know about? It can be for any reason, even something as silly as how a character is written.

I ****** hate the incest anime with the girl with orange her and her older brother falling for her or whatever because I absolutely despise incest, it's up there with Monster Musume for me. At least with Monster Musume it's just "I don't understand what people find hot about girls that are half creature and why is it so popular".
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

^None.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao

Post by retrolinkx »

Rajikaru wrote:
What do you personally think is the worst anime you know about? It can be for any reason, even something as silly as how a character is written.

I ******* hate the incest anime with the girl with orange her and her older brother falling for her or whatever because I absolutely despise incest, it's up there with Monster Musume for me. At least with Monster Musume it's just "I don't understand what people find hot about girls that are half creature and why is it so popular".
I think you mean "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute". Either way, reading the description can show you just how trash it is.

Monster Musume is actually pretty funny if you read it. Sure it's dumb ecchi stuff literally 80% of the time, but I've found myself laughing at the dumb situations I've seen in it countless times just because the main character is a nice guy just trying to live his life but he has to deal with around 10 people who want to literally **** him to death. It's really fun to just read the dumb stuff that happens in it.

But idk I've apparently always had a thing for Romance, Comedy, Ecchi without even knowing. Seriously I looked at my My MAL manga list and it's mostly that with Domina no Do, He is my master, Happy World, Prison School and this pretty much.

As for trash anime, just get any moeblob slice of life comedy romance subplot anime, or something like Konosuba/Log Hozion/Sword Art Online and you've got the worst anime you could ever find. Nothing redeemable about it, the story sucks, the characters suck, everything is predictable and stupid so you don't really want to watch it.

Personally I've never been fond of Pscyho Pass. I felt it was trying to be really deep and give the viewer cognitive dissonance but it fell really short on doing that. The characters just felt like archetypes done wrong, and the bad guy didn't feel threatening at all, everyone else just seemed incompetent when dealing with him that it just made the whole anime seem really stupid. I can't believe I watched 26 episode of it, it was so average in every regard.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

Rajikaru wrote:What do you personally think is the worst anime you know about? It can be for any reason, even something as silly as how a character is written.
Wikipedia wrote:High school freshman Subaru Hasegawa is forced to stop playing basketball at his school for a while when the team captain gets himself involved in a scandal for being suspected of sexually abusing or attacking a child, and the club is disbanded for a year. His aunt, Mihoshi Takamura, then assigns him to be an elementary school girls' basketball team coach. Initially, he accepts to train the girls just for three days, but after learning of their circumstances, he decided to keep coaching them. Thanks to the girls, Subaru's passion for basketball is reignited as his efforts to improve their skills come to fruition and he becomes close friends with them.
Just looking at that gif makes me feel the need to binge watch Ghibli to feel okay about cartoons again.

I also know nothing about No Game No Life besides the fact that the original author and artist was caught tracing. A lot. So I just kind of automatically don't like anything about it.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

anime of "kindergarten" girls with pretty much full sized breasts
plot involves a character who "...is forced to stop playing basketball at his school for a while when the team captain gets himself involved in a scandal for being suspected of sexually abusing or attacking a child,"
Jesus, the irony in that is astounding.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

See, I don't count stuff like Sword Art Online as bad because I dropped it after two episodes. It was probably bad, but I made a point of not finding out cuz it just seemed really boring from the get go. But I don't assume people who did like SAO have bad taste or anything.

retrolinkx wrote: Monster Musume is actually pretty funny if you read it.
True words. Okayado is the voice of a generation.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

I enjoyed the Sword Art Online anime up to at least the end of the SAO arc and enjoyed the first volume of the Light Novels with Volumes 2-12 sitting on my eReader. Granted, I've heard the first six volumes are just a generic shounen fight prologue to the real plot that starts in Volume 7 and that there have thus far been no plans to animate volumes 7+.

My Little Sister Can't be this cute is on my list of anime I want to give a listen if I ever track down an English dub. Though, to be quite honest, anime like Sailormoon, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Digimon desensitized me to incest before I even knew about the taboo.

That Basketball series with the all-girls team sounds interesting. What's it called and does it have an English dub?

Off top of my head, the most cringe worthy thing I can think of that I've seen, or at least heard, a significant portion of is the 4Kids Dub of Ojamajo Doremi, but then again, I've seen what 4Kids got hold of subbed and hold the original in extremely high regard, and 4Kids does have a near-universal reputation as being the last bastion of bad dubbing. Granted, considering that I managed to marathon several bad dubs(Including Saban's treatment of Digimon Adventure, Nelvana's Cardcaptors, and 4Kids' Mew Mew Power without cringing in the last few years, maybe I have a higher tolerance for bad dubs than I did in my youth. Granted, of these bad dubs, Ojamajo Doremi is the only one I have the experience of watching the sub to compare to.

I did think the series with serious business marbles(I think it was called B-da-mon or something like that) was pretty lame, and I say that as someone for whom the original Beyblade held his attention through it's original run on US television. Granted, I only saw a few episodes of the marble show, and like Ivogoji, I'm not willing to call crap something I haven't seen a significant portion of nor am I willing to call out others for bad taste for liking something I haven't seen enough to form an opinion on.

Given how many second tier Monster Battle series I watched and enjoyed back when everyone and their grandmother was trying to replicate the success of Pokemon and Digimon, I wonder how many of them would make me cringe today. I remember Monster Rancher taking the concept more seriously, perhaps even moreso than Digimon Adventure/Tamers, and I remember things like Medabots, Mon Colle Knights, and Flint the Time Detective being even sillier than Pokemon at it's most lighthearted, but I can't remember if they were entertaining enough to come across as good parody.

Also, long runners tend to get boring after 100 episodes or so, but I find that's often the result of being based on on-going weekly manga and insisting the anime have the same release schedule as the manga despite it often taking several manga chapters to make one decent episode or animators wanting to milk a cash cow for all its worth long after the original creator is done telling the story they wanted to tell. I'm staring with unseeing eyes at you Studio Pierrot for making a full half of Bleach filler arcs, half of which can't fit anywhere in the timeline and making the Arrancar saga more lousy with filler than DBZ, making more than a third of Naruto episodic filler(that it's all tacked on after Naruto vs Sasuke Round 1 is only a slight consolation), Making Shippuden more lousy with filler than the Arrancar Saga including making fans of the anime wait two years after the Manga ended to see Naruto vs Sasuke Round 2 animated, not to mention the plans for the Last and Boruto Eras. And while these are probably the worst offenders, YuYu Hakusho is the only Shounen Jump anime I can think of that reached 100 episodes without suffering some kind of long-runner-itis. Granted, I've only seen a fraction of anime based on Shounen Jump manga, though even extending to manga serialized in other magazines, I have trouble thinking of a long running anime adaptation that didn't suffer eventually.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote: That Basketball series with the all-girls team sounds interesting. What's it called and does it have an English dub?
> hears people talking trash about an anime with girls of a certain body type
> wants to know what it is
Classic Jeffery!

Its name is Ro-Kyo-Bu and it doesn't have a dub, but it's based on a light novel that you might be able to screen-read.
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote: Medabots
Medabots is making some sort of resurgence in the meme world these days, which almost makes me want to rewatch it for nostalgia's sake.

When Duel Masters becomes relevant again, that'll be the day. That dub would have been a fountain of memes if it aired in this age.
"I already know what your next move will be!"
"Oh yeah, how's that?"
"Because I'm an Evil Genius TM!"
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote: I have trouble thinking of a long running anime adaptation that didn't suffer eventually.
Hunter x Hunter 2011 practically has this down to a science, being a filler-free adapt of an already very well paced long running manga. Probably the best anime adaptation of a Shounen action series there's ever been in terms of faithfulness to the source material and consistent quality.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Yes, I've heard good things about the HunterXHunter anime, and among Shounen Jump series I didn't read/watch when I had the chance, not reading/watching HunterXHunter is probably my biggest regret. *Shakes fist metaphorically at Viz for not including it in their version of Shonen Jump.* Considering that YuYu Hakusho and HunterXHunter are by the same mangaka, I have to wonder if it's more than coincidence that there anime adaptations don't suffer problems that are other wise near universal, especially with what I've heard of Togashi's perfectionism. No idea how much creative control mangaka and Light Novelists typically have over anime adaptations of their work, but I would assume it usually isn't much, and I suspect Togashi might have demanded an above average level of creative control for YuYu Hakusho and HunterXHunter.

Ah yes, I remember Duel Masters. No idea how big the Strategy Card Game genre got in Japan(Aside from Yu-Gi-Oh and Duel Masters, Battle Spirits is the only other one I can think of), but I remember this show being hilariously self-aware and fourth wall breaking, and unlike with the more general monster battle genre, the card game variant didn't flood the US airwaves.

As if I didn't have enough on my media list, now I've got an urge to torrent and binge, for lack of a better term, fad anime from the late 90s and early 00s. At least they tend to be shorter series that only lasted a single 52 episode season with a few of the more popular ones lasting two years.

The title Ro-Kyo-Bu rings a bell. *Does a quick Google search.* Ah yes, one of my favorite fansubbing groups worked on the second season, which came out about a year after my vision started failing. I'm not big into sports, but I did enjoy Slam Dunk and Crimson Hero when they ran in Viz's Shonen Jump and Shojo Beat respectively, so I think I'll check this out if I can find an online translation or translated ebooks.

Also, I just found out that Cardcaptor Sakura got a new manga for it's 20th Anniversary with a new anime scheduled for 2018. I'd be bingeing six months worth of scanlations or lamenting the lack of scanlations right now if I was still among the sighted. Here's hoping it doesn't take as long for the US to get a decent dub as it did for the first anime(The Nelvana dub really isn't that bad taken in whole with the original episode order instead of the truncated and out-of-order way it was broadcast by KidsWB, but the animax dub is certainly more faithful, and best I can tell, was almost impossible to find this side of the Pacific prior to NIS America releasing a Bilingual Blu-Ray Box-set of the series). Another regret of mine is that I never got into other manga by CLAMP.
Xeno
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by Xeno »

So, this is a thing that is happening.

Even though I haven't watched Ro-Kyu-Bu! (and I don't plan to), I happen to main as Tomoka-chan, with her moeblob teammate Hinata-chan as a partner, in Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax for the PS3. I just like the idea of scoring hoops and the like on your opponents to inflict damage, since it's such a silly concept for a 2D arcade-style fighter. I like to think that Tomoka-chan goes hard in the paint. I will say that I usually have to turn down the volume on my television more than usual when playing as her, since her and her friends' voices sound incredibly high-pitched.
“Life’s not cruel until you put the game controller down.”

This is a little philosophical gem that I said when I was insanely tired.
Nano
Legendary Chaos Chao
Legendary Chaos Chao
Motto: My kickstarter failed, but that's okay!

Post by Nano »

I'm not ready for that kind of anime yet...

Also

Why
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

*Googles NEKOPARA* Sounds absolutely adorable. I hope the OVA gets an English dub, but I won't hold my breath.

And now I'm sad because I'm reminded that it's been years since I've had a pet cat.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

I uh... I rewatched Princess Mononoke again. It's good...
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Nano wrote:I'm not ready for that kind of anime yet...

Same here. Don't do this to me

That being said, does anybody know if there's some obscure anime or manga that parodies the "hot subservient catgirl" anime trope? I've had an idea in my head for a story like that, but it feels like such an obvious and easy parody.
Nano
Legendary Chaos Chao
Legendary Chaos Chao
Motto: My kickstarter failed, but that's okay!

Post by Nano »

I'm gonna leave a post here just for the future:

Anime is an incredibly easy subject to get sucked into talking about, but keep in mind the types of shows you're talking about or linking to. Nothing majorly rulebreaking is happening right now, but I can see the topic lean towards the abyss. Just be careful and try to avoid shows with overly sexual themes, incest, etc and whatnot.

Again, nothing majorly bad is happening currently, but I can tell a topic like this can very easily turn into something I don't want to have to deal with.