The ongoing chronicles of why Tumblr is full of fools

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

The ongoing chronicles of why Tumblr is full of fools

Post by Rajikaru »

I'm not gonna pull a Treedirt and post a big thing going on that the worse side of Tumblr has latched onto and is making a big deal out of.

I'm just going to link to some videos by a very smart person that deals with some of the **** that makes Tumblr literally one of the worst places on the internet.

Here is my favorite that involves the "Welcome to Tumblr" video by JelloApocalypse.

Here's the one about Cultural Appropriation.

As well as an older one about Thin Privileges, as the famous Tumblrites put it..

These videos do what I never had the skills to do: describe why Tumblr can be such a horrible place and what happens when you give people free space to not be criticized whatsoever, no matter how out of the left field they are, and why this can be a problem. The "Tumblrites" as I refer to them (people that are way out of the left park when it comes to situations like equality) are literally like a virus: you leave it alone, and it fester and grows in both population and size. Now Tumblr isn't just these people, however they make up a giant population of the site.

It isn't a problem because of what you believe. It's a problem that you treat it as fact and bring other people down for it or because of it, or believe that because other people agree with you, that you are right.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Re: The ongoing chronicles of why Tumblr is full of fools

Post by Triert »

You realize my gripe with these people is because they've already festered into the real world and away from solely tumblr right? They were born on livejournal but they got their behavior from others in the real world there too.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

I'm going to contribute to this.

Tumblr wants races to get along, and at the same time wants them to be split apart.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

It's better for context to know that those three blogs are anti-feminist as well as anti-sjw blogs.

SJW's tend to be very racist in regards to black and white relations
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

Tumblr is only really good for finding images and videos of things.

http://noirlac.tumblr.com/

Plus DYKG.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by wic. »

I don't really see tumblr as being any worse than any microblogging or social media site. It gives people a platform, and the people who shout the loudest get the most attention. This really isn't a new concept, so I don't know why people really care so much. There are so many different communities to tumblr. Music, art, funny bs, fandoms, politics, there's a lot to the site.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that people like that get a platform. Even worse, they bastardized the definition of social justice. We can agree that there are bad sides to the site, but, let me blow your mind, tumblr is in no way different from any other site that gives people a platform.

If it really bothers you then close yourself away from those communities, or just choose to not go on tumblr anymore. It's kinda pathetic we're sitting here complaining when it is so easy to choose to ignore it. Tumblr is what you make of it, don't want to hear other people's stuff? Then choose not to. You choose who you're exposed to, you choose who you follow.
Triert wrote:You realize my gripe with these people is because they've already festered into the real world and away from solely tumblr right? They were born on livejournal but they got their behavior from others in the real world there too.
Also there always have been extremists. This is not some sort of phenomena that tumblr started. But, again, tumblr gives people a platform. Usually you wouldn't really hear about these people unless they made major news, but since tumblr gives them an easy platform, you can hear about them easier. Basically, correlation doesn't imply causation. Tumblr didn't cause there to be extremist people.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

I know that full well wic, the extremists raised them first.

Mind you, it's hard to get away from them when they're the ones who keep coming where they're either not wanted or don't belong.

But consider the amount of hate campaigns that usually get started there and how little control there is to these people and then you get social justice warriors. Whose brand of justice is closer to organized lynch mobs than protestors. If you would consider the amount of hate mail these people have produced, harassment, and in one case even urged someone to commit suicide, they're harmless because they can only do as much harm as they want to behind a computer screen.
Linds 269
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Linds 269 »

I want to contribute with an "I agree to everyone who's posted evidence of annoying tumblrites."

And wic, there are a couple people I follow who reblog ridiculous stuff like this, but they're my friends, and I appreciate some of the other stuff they reblog. My point is, I shouldn't have to unfollow them. And I don't want to. But those posts are still there, maybe few and far between, but still there.
(19:42:34) chaosulitmaster: I find it so creppy that with a IP adress, you can find yuor hoes within a 15-20 mile radius. >.>
(18:57:45) Omelet: I AM INSERTING IT (13:17:50) Omelet: I DID INSERT IT
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

I know one too many people on tumblr, CI, and the real world that have these kinds of people as friends. On tumblr there are people who don't want to take part in standing up to them because they're too afraid of getting harassed out of tumblr for these kinds of things. In the real world they're afraid of their friends that act like this.

If people are too afraid to stand up to these "activists" then are they really activists when they can't confront them without facing this sort of bigotry? Because that's what they're acting like instead of anything else.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

wic. wrote:I don't really see tumblr as being any worse than any microblogging or social media site. It gives people a platform, and the people who shout the loudest get the most attention. This really isn't a new concept, so I don't know why people really care so much. There are so many different communities to tumblr. Music, art, funny bs, fandoms, politics, there's a lot to the site.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that people like that get a platform. Even worse, they bastardized the definition of social justice. We can agree that there are bad sides to the site, but, let me blow your mind, tumblr is in no way different from any other site that gives people a platform.

If it really bothers you then close yourself away from those communities, or just choose to not go on tumblr anymore. It's kinda pathetic we're sitting here complaining when it is so easy to choose to ignore it. Tumblr is what you make of it, don't want to hear other people's stuff? Then choose not to. You choose who you're exposed to, you choose who you follow.
Triert wrote:You realize my gripe with these people is because they've already festered into the real world and away from solely tumblr right? They were born on livejournal but they got their behavior from others in the real world there too.
Also there always have been extremists. This is not some sort of phenomena that tumblr started. But, again, tumblr gives people a platform. Usually you wouldn't really hear about these people unless they made major news, but since tumblr gives them an easy platform, you can hear about them easier. Basically, correlation doesn't imply causation. Tumblr didn't cause there to be extremist people.
How exactly is that fair? "If you don't like it, then go away"? How is that fair to the people that have to experience the ****, to say "Hey, you don't like it? You can always ignore them!"? Also, how has that ever worked, in any situation? For example: "Ignore bullies and they'll go away!", when has that worked? I, for one, would love to live in a world where if you ignore problems they'll go away, but that isn't how it works anymore.

You can't just say "Ignore action: go!" and never see the problems again, ESPECIALLY when they're ACTUALLY MAKING NEWS, like this big Zoey Quinn shitfest You know the people that back her up? The ones that aren't literally people she slept with or possibly slept with such as legendary ragemaster Phil Fish? They're same idiots on Tumblr that go on about equality and feminism, and then bash every boy in existence because they don't know the pain they're going through or they're privileged, so it's okay (and just for the record, no, I'm not talking about when people post dumb "straight white boys" posts, even though those posts are stupid, 'cause some of them are genuinely funny. I'm talking about the people say they want equality then literally **** on any other person ever because they're different). They're backing her, and white-knighting her, because "IT'S OKAY, SHE'S REVOLUTIONARY, A GIRL IN GAMING TAKING A STAND!!!" as if there wasn't already literally hundreds of girls in and working on video games.

It's annoying, it's asinine, and it's making news on just about every god damn gaming site, most of which are pretty ****** anyways. And you know what ignoring it does? It ****** lets them win, because nobody is backing the people that are against her up, so when they try to take a stand it's five hundred assholes sending those stand-makers death threats because they're "misogynistic assholes and rapists" for some stupid reason. And then Zoe Quinn will walk free, even though she has slept with people who work in gaming press (who then went on to promote her utter **** "game" as some revolutionary look at depression when it's a god damn half-assed visual novel), RUINED a great opportunity for ACTUAL female game makers, and TRIED TO SILENCE ANYTHING CLOSE TO "CRITICISM" THAT SHE COULD. **** like this is why I'm sick of people saying "Don't like it, just go somewhere else!" or "Don't like it, just ignore it!" That doesn't ****** work anymore, and if it ever did that was long time ago. This isn't about some damn bug bite itching your arm, this is about literal god damn viruses swarming all around, growing and merging together to form one giant piece of **** that is making news and is actually ruining god damn gaming as a whole. Yeah, a great ****** job ignoring it did!

Give me a way to both ignore these pieces of utter horse **** and prevent them from winning this god damn "war" that they've made **** like gaming and social justice about. Give me a way to ignore these assholes on tumblr that also prevents them from latching on to idiots like Zoe Quinn and Phil Fish. I'll never stop using it. Oh wait, there isn't a way.
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by wic. »

So basically linds and Nova are saying "I shouldn't have to, it's not fair." Well, life really isn't fair now is it. Those people are going to keep saying what they're going to say whether you like it or not, there's nothing you can do about that. You won't stop them from saying what they have to say just like they won't stop you from saying what you want to say. I don't care if you don't want to do something or shouldn't have to. You want to stop getting exposed to something, then don't be exposed to it.

Also Zoe Quinn is hardly "news". Like, yeah, she did some ****** things within the videogame community (actually, only true awful thing she's done imo is block that charity), I don't condone them, but that's really not news. Real news is something like what's happening in Ferguson, the crisis in the Middle East, or the pollution at the US-Mexican border. Zoe Quinn is an inconsequential blip, she is nothing. You even said yourself most game journalism sites are **** to begin with, so why do you care? Your precious videogames aren't under attack. This isn't news, this is stupidity.

I've just learned about Zoe Quinn within the past couple days, because it's really something which I find inconsequential and don't really care about. It is entirely possible to just ignore this kind of stuff, and it has no effect on you. None of what Zoe Quinn has done is important or in any way impacts you. It is completely possible to just ignore something and it won't get to you.

Your problem is this is personal to you. For some absurd reason you have decided to take this personally, and feel too involved to step back. Honestly, it's kinda pathetic. You're so up in arms about essentially imaginary issues when you could be using it for something real. There are real and actually important issues out there, one girl and a bunch of people with stupid views on a microblogging site isn't.

There is no "war" and there will be no "winner". Imagine that they did "win", what do they get? Their ideas might gain public awareness but do you really think the mainstream would accept those ideas? Like really try to imagine their ideals and mindset being accepted universally - it just won't happen. You're part of the problem yourself, after all, it takes two to tango. You feed them the attention that they crave. So, keep getting upset about non existent problems, it's actually kind of funny.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

^ These people are CENSORING US

They have organized forums, wikis, and entire gaming websites to make sure no dissenting opinion of her is said.

Do you want to tell us that they can't affect us when they refuse to let us speak?

Do you want to be exactly like her when she told people to ignore what she did and focus on something "newsworthy" like Ferguson?

Do you want people to ignore these kinds of people and let them run free? When they censor us, when their corruption is rampant, it starts affecting us when we refuse to accept it and vocally complain. But even trying to do that isn't enough anymore wic!

Do you want to tell something like this to the SJW's themselves? I'm so sure we've done so for a while now with no resolution in sight, and guess what, the fact of the matter is that here we are finally deciding to refuse to tolerate their attitudes and behaviors any longer.

Oh, and the mainstream already accepts ideas such as "all men are rapists" or "all men are abusers" or "white people are the devil" if the white privelege conference wasn't enough indication for you.

You want to laugh at us, we wont have it. Because guess what?

Enough is enough, the madness ends to all of us because we have decided to refuse to let it continue.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

I'm gonna go ahead and say that saying "If you hate a social media website, just stay away from it!" is as obnoxious to say as "If you get bullied, just ignore it!" and "If you're sad, just get happy!". First of all, social media websites are an addiction, specially to teenagers. Once you're seriously enjoying a social media website, you have a hard time getting away from it. For example, like, a million people here on this forum. No one ever really leaves, they will always return at some point. Only not when they died or got banned.

This isn't JUST, though partly, about not wanting to unfollow friends who tend to reblog stuff you don't like, but it's about that tumblr turned into an influence.

Not necessarily wrong. Tumblr created awareness about sexualities, genders and body types, about accepting them and why they exist. That's great! They are trying to get racism out of the door. Great! It's all really awesome, but my biggest issue with tumblr is...

They take everything too far.

Tumblr is much like Nash Grier. Once he finally gets popular, he gets cocky and does whatever the **** he wants and people will follow him, like him, defense him and be influenced by his behavior. He is basically creating a society that accepts and maybe even copies his behavior. Same with tumblr. They create SJW's that will go off the charts, influencing the outside world, other websites, etc.

This isn't just about Tumblr, a few people you follow and social media being addicting.

It's about how we have to lock our doors and windows and shut down our computer to not get in touch with those people. Well excuse me, princess, for not wanting to feel like we should have to do that.

This is not about blocking out a prick in the chatbox to avoid reading their messages.

This is about having to block out the ****ING WORLD.

Tumblr is a huge community of hypocritical ****asses. And they should be in charge of the ropes just as much as any white cis scum should be. Which is not at all.

Don't get me wrong, I love the art and all that other blog business on tumblr, absolutely love it, but I'm sick of all the incredibly loud extremists. And you're in no place to say that we can just avoid them that easily. They are extremists. A big part comes from tumblr, and they will go everywhere you don't want them.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Tallkat Vantas
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: ask yourself: What Would Bayonetta Do?

Post by Tallkat Vantas »

You ARE taking it too personally. Also, y'all are talking about "tumblrites" as if they're some evil spawn hellbent on destroying everything good and pure in the world. (cookie points to Triert for admitting that they've raised genderqueer awareness, i guess)

You need to get over yourselves. A lot of people from tumblr need to get off their high horse, but you guys aren't any ******* better half the time.

That's all I'll say on the matter, don't even bother trying to reply to me. Well I mean, you can, but I won't be looking at this thread anymore. Have a nice day.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Tallkat Vantas wrote: You need to get over yourselves. A lot of people from tumblr need to get off their high horse, but you guys aren't any ******* better half the time.
How does that even work? We're just as bad as people that sleep around to get leverage for their indie "games", or that send death threats to other people that don't agree with what they think, or that promote "equality" but criticize white people just because they're white?
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I never really saw the appeal of mega social sites, and determined that watching the news is by and large a waste of time many years ago, but ignoring the online bigots has worked out fairly well for me. Honestly, the only reason I've even heard of this Zoey person is because people on Chao Island have complained about her in the last few days, and while I've heard the name Phil Fish before, its only been since people started talking about Zoey that I've heard of anyone having beef with the guy(and I have no idea what said beef is). So Zoey did some less than honorable things to artificially inflate hype for a crappy video game, not like her behavior is suddenly making the competent game makers start churning out garbage, and its not like she's the first person to ever overhype a crappy game(though I suppose spending more on marketing than on development is the more classic example).

I'll agree that the behaviors being criticized probably shouldn't be condoned, much less encouraged, but I'm not sure what metaphorically shouting at these people is likely to accomplish other than giving the ones who act out of a desire for attention a further boost to their already unhealthily overinflated egos. Sure, left unattended, chances are that the metaphorical fire will run rampant long before it burns itself out, but I'd say what is being done here is doing more to add fuel to the fire rather than smother it.

Problems need to be addressed, but until I can think of something productive(or someone else makes a good suggestion) within my abilities to address these problems, I find it more productive, and better for my mental health, to focus my efforts on either improving my own abilities or addressing issues that are already within my ability to have positive impact.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

What you said is completely understandable, Jeffery, but if you want, you should probably listen to these videos (links below) in order:

The first video to start on to understand what's going on with Quinn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Equc1QnQ9rw

The second video that goes over the first video originally being taken down as well as more issues with Zoe Quinn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-51PfwI3M

Also, while there isn't a good video on Phil Fish, basically he's the creator of Fez, and a while back he went on a tirade on twitter that his fans didn't "deserve" Fez 2, and then tried to get youtube to take down any videos that had footage of the original Fez. Since then he's been known for being a really crappy person with a horrible personality, driving many people away from any games he worked on. Recently, he relaunched his twitter (which he originally closed after the backlash he got from his aforementioned tirade) to not only yell at his fans and tell them they don't deserve Fez 2, but to also defend Zoe Quinn, even when another person on Twitter revealed that Zoe Quinn had sexually harassed him at a recent wedding. Basically, the dude posted about being sexuallly harassed by Quinn, and Phil Fish sent, word for word, "You crashed that party, nobody invited you, nobody wanted you there, you little ****." as a response.
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by wic. »

Triert wrote:^ These people are CENSORING US

They have organized forums, wikis, and entire gaming websites to make sure no dissenting opinion of her is said.

Do you want to tell us that they can't affect us when they refuse to let us speak?

Do you want to be exactly like her when she told people to ignore what she did and focus on something "newsworthy" like Ferguson?

Do you want people to ignore these kinds of people and let them run free? When they censor us, when their corruption is rampant, it starts affecting us when we refuse to accept it and vocally complain. But even trying to do that isn't enough anymore wic!

Do you want to tell something like this to the SJW's themselves? I'm so sure we've done so for a while now with no resolution in sight, and guess what, the fact of the matter is that here we are finally deciding to refuse to tolerate their attitudes and behaviors any longer.

Oh, and the mainstream already accepts ideas such as "all men are rapists" or "all men are abusers" or "white people are the devil" if the white privelege conference wasn't enough indication for you.

You want to laugh at us, we wont have it. Because guess what?

Enough is enough, the madness ends to all of us because we have decided to refuse to let it continue.
They censored you, which is exactly why you are talking about it right here, right now. Hmm.. yeah, sounds like censoring. You're not being censored, if you look around you will find people speaking out against Zoe Quinn. Tumblr, youtube, twitter, you'll find them. Just because people have a dissenting opionion doesn't mean they're censoring you. As a matter of fact, I've heard more people condemning her for her actions than I have people condoning her for them. So trust me, your guy's voices are being heard, and it's ridiculous to think otherwise. So, obviously, if you can get your point heard and speak out then they're not affecting you with censoring.

Also what do you even mean by "run free"? People have done unethical things, but no one's broken any laws in this entire thing. There's no justice do be dealt. You were the one that said these people resort to mob justice, but it sounds like you're doing the exact same thing. And again, obviously you're not being censored, so stop saying you are.

So basically, after trying to tell SJW's to stop, you're resorting to doing what they're doing, only reversed? That's what I'm getting from you with that whole part, and if that is what you're trying to say then good job, because it's truly a great plan.

And no, their ideas really haven't spread. If you were to go ask a mixed poll of people, I'm 100% sure that the majority would answer "no" to those questions. I've never met someone who thought any of those things about me because I am white or am a man.

Also, grow up, you sound like you're fighting some war against the mass evil when you're truly not. You are some guy behind a computer complaining about other people. That is all you are.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

We haven't been censored here and you're right. People HAVE been censored on Reddit, 4chan, Steam, Kotaku, and Wikipedia for trying to post their own opinions on the matter that didn't sit well with Zoe and were silenced.

Do you know what it means to not tolerate? Obviously these people have their views and will present them, and up until now people have been afraid to confront them and challenge their views at all, many of which have been picked apart at and easily fall in the face of genuine reason.

In the Zoe instance, the corruption is apparent and no law breaking has been comitted. But SJW's doing illegal things? Well that depends, do you consider pushing razor blades towards ones suicidal sister because she had straight passing privelege, illegal? Because the people involved but the SJW sure did.

This is minor compared to major feminist backed law changes, many that erase men as being victims of crimes such as rape but always being the automatic aggressor. No thanks to the Duluth model in effect, why do I put them in the same breath? Well, they do overlap and endorse one another, and surely neither of us here want to support this bad feminism now do we? It's only natural to put these two in the same breath when they choose to do so.

Do you know what people want to stop? The fear we have from trying to confront them, does that fly over your head or do you still think we should just "log out." Okay then, we've logged out but guess what, if Suey Park is any indication they'll still be affecting what you want to watch because they take it upon themselves to decide whats right and whats wrong.

These people exist and are making social justice movements, genuine ones seeking equality, look like nothing more than misinformed, emotional, and irrational bigots. Do you think we want to see this become our reality? Do you think that's okay? Of course you don't, so what's your business here then?
Linds 269
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Linds 269 »

Ignoring everything else besides wic's last post, I wanna reply to wic. Wic, I never said it wouldn't not be fair. Nor did I say they need to stop. This entire TOPIC is literally just us complaining. Not asking them to stop.
(19:42:34) chaosulitmaster: I find it so creppy that with a IP adress, you can find yuor hoes within a 15-20 mile radius. >.>
(18:57:45) Omelet: I AM INSERTING IT (13:17:50) Omelet: I DID INSERT IT
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!

Post by Flame »

I was a member of this crowd for a while and it pushed me off Tumblr. I dislike this crowd of 'SJWs' actively because they gave me the internal belief that a man in a role is sexist because a woman could fill that role too. It's a belief I've been trying to shake off for months. Also, remember the 'not all men' crap? The way of mocking people that were genuinely trying to respond to some of the ****ty things they said?

I'm all for equality and I support feminism. However, when Tumblr has become the radfems they claim not to be (and they have), I want nothing to do with them.

I'll elaborate more on this when I'm not on a phone.
ChaoBreeder2440
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by ChaoBreeder2440 »

drama on all social websites makes me wanna barf

i'm gagging right now just thinking about it

barf
Spoiler:
i'm gonna not just talk about tumblr, but most social websites. the majority of it is on tumblr from what i've seen though, so that's why i'm gonna post here. with most social websites, there's drama, sure. if it's bickering and people disliking eachother, that's okay. that's people! but when it comes down to people getting hurt in ways they don't deserve, that's what i don't understand. i mean, i know people are just really ******, but why? why should people get hurt for things like having an opinion? i don't know. that's why i personally avoid arguing about those subjects. i don't want trouble for myself, and i REALLY don't want trouble for those around me, just because i gave an opinion on a subject. like i said, that's why i don't give my opinion on a lot things, or well, use a lot of social websites for that matter. it's kind of sad that it's come down to that, but oh well.

another thing. i might joke around about stuff that people might find annoying or offensive, like calling someone dumb for example, or bothering them about something stupid, but i make it very obvious that it's a joke. i give off the social cues, that mean, "hey, this is a joke, you shouldn't take this seriously!". if they really want me to stop, they can ask me kindly to stop and to not do it again. i know jokes can still hurt, but i only really do it if i don't think it'll bother you. if it bothers you a butt-ton, and i did it anyways, i mostly likely DIDN'T KNOW it bothered you so much. what i hate though is when someone makes a /big deal/ of something as stupid as a joke, or at least, what i consider a joke. there are some sensitive subjects i don't consider jokes. it's extremely childish when someone gets upset over something little though.

i'm just glad i don't rely A LOT on social websites like some people. i honestly think it's pathetic when they feel the NEED to rely on them. i mean, if they just enjoy posting on it, then go ahead. but if it comes to a point where you would be better off not posting on those websites for one reason or another, and you can't leave it behind because you rely on them too much, that's just sad. for example, if it's other people causing the problems for you, why be around it? i'm not saying you should just let them have the site, but think of it like this for example. wouldn't it be better if ALL the people that aren't idiots, left the website and went somewhere else, so the site that they left can be treated as a containment zone? sure, all the idiots can leave, but that's a lot more work, and takes a lot more time. that's all just an example though. all i'm trying to say is, it's sad to rely on social websites /in my opinion/. i just have my little shell of friends on steam, and that's all i really need. i lurk social websites, only to post on them some, not 24/7. if i make another friend on steam, i remove them if they give me any problems that cannot be avoided or fixed. i just wanna have a quiet, simple life. i honestly just wish a lot of websites would go back to being not-as-dramatic.

and i also wish i could have my old friends back. people have changed so much. i'm not saying they're the problem, or that i am, i just wish we could get along the way we used to. it used to be so simple, now it's so convoluted.
chocohugs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: a minute of thought is worth a lifetime of effort

Post by chocohugs »

just want to clarify a few things about the references to this indie game drama
Nova! wrote:How does that even work? We're just as bad as people that sleep around to get leverage for their indie "games",
it's confirmed that she didn't sleep around to get positive press on her game, the only two articles about the game were written by one dude well before she slept with him. (and they were only passing mentions, nothing positive or negative)

zoe quinn is a scumbag because she cheated on her boyfriend with five other men and was extremely emotionally manipulative; you can read the entire saga here, if you really want. (language warning) to add my own two cents, i have no idea why feminists and such are defending her, all she's doing is making a bad name for female developers.
Nova! wrote:Also, while there isn't a good video on Phil Fish, basically he's the creator of Fez, and a while back he went on a tirade on twitter that his fans didn't "deserve" Fez 2, and then tried to get youtube to take down any videos that had footage of the original Fez. Since then he's been known for being a really crappy person with a horrible personality, driving many people away from any games he worked on. Recently, he relaunched his twitter (which he originally closed after the backlash he got from his aforementioned tirade) to not only yell at his fans and tell them they don't deserve Fez 2, but to also defend Zoe Quinn, even when another person on Twitter revealed that Zoe Quinn had sexually harassed him at a recent wedding. Basically, the dude posted about being sexuallly harassed by Quinn, and Phil Fish sent, word for word, "You crashed that party, nobody invited you, nobody wanted you there, you little ****." as a response.
phil fish is also a pretty huge scumbag, not gonna argue with that. from what i understand, he's pretty chill in person and in streams and stuff, but he has a really abrasive personality online and doesn't necessarily know how to filter what he says. but hey **** those SJWs am i right??? anti-SJWs are so much better!!!!

big image + language warning

so yesterday his company website, polytron, was hacked into and all of his personal information ("Tax returns, financial statements, invoices, contracts, expense documents, personal information, bank accounts, sales data, Sony / Microsoft / Steam QA + certification files") was doxxed--resulting in this:

so he (maybe???) sold the IPs and then deleted his twitter (by the way, he didn't come back just to defend zoe quinn, he came back and was tweeting about ferguson for a while before that zoe **** started)

i'm hearing now that this is fake??? but at the same time, why would you willingly release this information? whatever the case, if it is real it's completely inexcusable. fish isn't a criminal, he doesn't deserve this

all phil fish info and pics were found here (language warning)

--

ACTUALLY ON TOPIC: yes, this social justice "movement" has flaws and extremists, just like any other. it's also done a lot of good, informing people on slurs, gender, sexuality, etc. i do think we should call out the bad eggs within it and educate them on why they're wrong about instances of cultural appropriation, believing all cis/het/male people are inherently bad, etc. but this isn't the way to do it.

this post got away from me but essentially: at its core, social justice is about equality. at its core, anti-social justice is about opposing all of that and imo is way more harmful.
tumbl - twittr | avatar by tsui
(15:29:10) Jack_Augustine has never been hugged by a girl before
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Regarding Phil Fish, while the guy sounds like an asshole, I'd say he's completely within his rights as to whether a game he made gets a sequel, and while I don't particularly agree with copyright law as currently written or implemented, his actions are hardly any worse than any other copyright holder that has gone out of their way to purge their works from YouTube.

Regarding censorship:
I don't know enough about Reddit to comment.
My knowledge of 4Chan is somewhat limited, but hasn't that website been known for given rise to groups of questionable moral character sinc long before the Social Media boom? Though, I must admit, I was under the impression that 4Chan was a bout the closest anyforum comes to true lawlessness, so the censorship(if it actually occurred and wasn't just the result of the less vocal opinion being buried) does seem to clash with what I know about the place.
I didn't know Steam had any social media attached to it sufficient to be censored. Then again, I'm not a PC gamer, and even if I was, I doubt I would bother with steam except for games I can't get elsewhere.
I thought all rational people had come to the comclusion Kotaku didn't deserve hits, much less active attention, much much less respect a long time ago.
I thought Wikipedia had guidelines against including personal opinion in articles and maintaining as neutral a slant of the facts as possible. Then again, if the article is about a living person, I can see statements of unpleasant facts being removed on the grounds of libel if there is insufficient backing. Still, if it's gotten to the point of an edit war, I would think someone would have contacted the appropriate staff to have the article put under protections while the disputed information is worked out.

Still, I'm not convinced that those getting up in arms in this thread aren't making a mountain out of a molehill(though I'l admit the problem of Internet Bigots might at least be as big as a large sand dune).
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

Choco, this is for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-51PfwI3M#t=635

Now then, you can say "well there are extremists in every movement." All day, plenty of people have, and people will continue to do so. But mind you, in an FBI investigation of a mosque there had been an undercover FBI agent disguised as a radical muslim. The rest of the muslims in that mosque reported the FBI agent, to the FBI. In every movement there is a certain amount of accountability to be had to ensure it isn't going out of control.

That won't stop them from harassing totalbiscuit or jontron, that won't stop them from existing in the real world and continuing to spread these ideas on issues of race, gender, or other instances. We can't stop them, we can't force them to stop, but they can be held accountable for their actions.

I think Ghandi put it best, “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” This can be true of many movements nowadays.

But, it seems as if you are at a misunderstanding of what the term "Anti-SJW" means, I have repeated myself countless times and I will continue to do so until the term is known to everyone. At it's spelling, and from when it was first made, it's always meant "Anti-Social Justice Warrior" Obviously, neither of us want to tolerate what they do, considering we both like seeing social justice done, but the movement is fractured between our extremists that we're doing our best to ensure their ideas are exposed for the bigotry they're founded upon.

Oh, and Phil Fish? Did the fact that he was defending Zoe fly over your head? "but he has a really abrasive personality online and doesn't necessarily know how to filter what he says. but hey **** those SJWs am i right??? anti-SJWs are so much better!!!!" Because even if you're joking here, you seem to lump him in with people opposing the extremists within the anti-sjw movement. Do you have any idea how much we go out of our to make sure blogs that are genuinely anti-social justice are not tolerated among the rest of us? LogicD being one of the major Anti-SJ blogs that no respected Anti-SJW would go out of their way to defend on his thoughts regarding race, sex, nor orientation.

****, the term SJW was coined by others to highlight the Knight Templar Zealotry they pulsate from their actions towards others. It was never meant to be a positive nor flattering term no matter how much they try to "take it back."

Consider this everyone, if no one does anything, nothing will change. Trying to write off Anti-sjw's as "against social justice" has become tiring as many admit to being social justice warriors before realizing just how irrational they had become. Now they want to make sure others don't make the same mistakes they made when they were in their extremist phase, these people are irrational, malicious, and downright bigoted, but they can change just like anyone else the more we continue to speak reason to them before they turn into a tumor that kills any credible social justice movements.

This video hammers the nail on the matter. (Language Warning)