Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon?

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 4 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.

CN or Nick?

Cartoon Network
50%
Nickelodeon
21%
Both / Neither
14%
I don't have cable TV / never watched these channels.
14%

Total votes: 14

Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon?

Post by Tsui »

Which channel do you prefer and why? Which shows are/were your favorite, your least favorite? If you had to pick one or the other for the rest of your life, which would you choose?
This includes related channels like Boomerang and Nicktoons Network.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Re: Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon?

Post by Triert »

Cartoon Network isn't nearly as bad with the shows they're trying to keep running.

They've made plenty of stupid ass mistakes, Teen Titans Go, Annoying Orange, Problem Solvers, now, I'm divided on whether or not to throw Uncle Grandpa into this mix, but from the two cartoons listed only two are still running (Uncle Grandpa is scarily getting the same amount of attention from them as Spongebob gets spoonfed by nick.)

Nickelodeon however? Don't make me start on them.
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Post by ShadriaFan »

Boomerang is one channel that I still watch, as well as Discovery Family (used to be The Hub). I'm loosing my satellite, so I won't be able to watch these channels much longer.
Favorites: Flintstones, Scooby Doo, Pokemon, Power Puff Girls, Tom and Jerry (all others)
Less Favorites: Tom and Jerry (some of them. There was a group of 50-ish made by one person...and those I detest...too much unneeded violence done to Tom in those cartoons), Johnny Quest (I..tried to like it, but I just couldn't get into it), Top Cat (It lost its charm to me over a few years), Magilla Gorilla, and most other cartoons similar to it..ex: Wally Gator. (I don't know why I dislike these, but I just can't find much enjoyment from them)

I avoid Nick with a passion..last thing I watched on there was Avatar: Legend of Korra..and I don't think that's running on there anymore...? Oh, and Digimon. I watched Digimon.. I love Digimon <3
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Don't have TV, so I can't comment on any current shows, but from back when I had cable, I watched much more Nick than CN.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

Discovery Family (used to be The Hub)
How long was I out of the ****** loop?
chaobreedersmh
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by chaobreedersmh »

As far as I can tell, The Hub randomly changed to Discovery Family. One day it was The Hub, next it was Discovery Family, which is really weird because for weeks before it was The Hub, they were announcing how they'd be changing the name. Also The Hub is a way cooler name...

I think I'd choose Cartoon Network because they have most of the shows I like now. Nickelodeon has nice shows, but most of the time they're airing things from the 90's when I sit down to watch TV, which always rubs me the wrong way when it's late at night. My favorites are Clarence, The Amazing World Of Gumball, and Steven Universe. The Looney Tunes Show I also thought was really good, but apparently a lot of people didn't think so. I like the rest of the shows, but Adventure Time and Regular Show are too fast paced, Steven Universe can be too fast paced as well but its animation I like better so.

I think the only show I don't really like on Cartoon Network is Uncle Grandpa, its colors are way too saturated and it's just like ehhh. Not the worst thing I've ever seen though.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

Cartoon Network has rarely been in our channel pack for some reason, so I was stuck with Fox kids/Jetix/Disney XD and Nickelodeon my entire childhood. Now I watch adventure time online and that's about it. I now and then watched some Cartoon Network when they temporarily added it in our channel pack, and it's pretty wacky.

I'm gonna say Nickelodeon though because I can't really judge Cartoon Network yet.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: spongebob

Post by Pumpkinium »

ShadriaFan wrote: Less Favorites: Tom and Jerry (some of them. There was a group of 50-ish made by one person...and those I detest...too much unneeded violence done to Tom in those cartoons)
same!! tom and jerry aired on cartoon network and i used to love watching it but some episodes just felt really boring or i didnt like the animation style of some of them
theres also a new tom and jerry show on cartoon network and ive seen some episodes and i dont think its that bad? i dont really know how to judge it cause i dont watch TV anymore but shrug

im a cartoon network person, ive never really watched nick, and ive had a small obsession with disney channel for a while but that kind of went away. i loved courage the cowardly dog and ESPECIALLY ed edd n eddy (which gave me a long childhood obsession of trying to make money by doing random stuff when i played outside) and i also watched adult swim which gave me my dosage of anime (cowboy bebop, inuyasha, ghost in shell stand alone complex, big o, lupin the 3rd, and flcl being the ones i liked the most)

i dont really mind cartoon network still, i just dont ever turn my tv on for anything other than playing games because im just too lazy to watch tv. adventure time, regular show, and the amazing world of gumball are really good shows too
help me
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Disney XD.

Gravity Falls, Wander over Yonder, and back when it was new, Pinky & the Brain, Jackie Chan Adventures, the Fresh Prince, Jimmy Two-Shoes, Kid vs. Kat, I'm In the Band, and a bunch of over well-recieved shows from other channels.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

First and foremost, I don't have cable... or satellite as they're on here. Might not know some shows.

When I was younger, Nickelodeon was my favourite. SpongeBob, Fairy Odd Parents, Ren and Stimpy etc. But now I feel like all nickelodeon has that's any good is iCarly and Victorious. But honestly, I've switched to watching more CN shows. Regular Show has made its way into my top 3 favourite shows, and Adventure Time is also fantastic. There's also Gumball and some others.

As for Disney, the only show they have now is Gravity Falls, and I feel like it falls short compared to Adventure Time and Regular Show which both usually involve 2 people fighting evil... somewhat.
Back when I was waaay younger, Disney was my favourite. Lilo and Stitch used to be awesome along with some of the other disney shows. Not anymore though.

Funny how my favourite when I was younger is now my least favourite and my previous least favourite is my favourite. I wonder if they target different age brackets.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Well, looking at all at all of Nick's channels, besides the actual Nickelodeon programs (which are pretty lame)-
Nicktoons Network is pretty strong, they've got Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra (which yes, Shadaria, is still going, though the last episodes of book four are set to premiere at the end of this week) and occasionally show reruns of Invader Zim, that's a positive. It also airs Fairly Odd Parents, Spongebob, and other cartoons much more frequently than the main Nick channel, so there's that.
Teen Nick is largely unwatchable- except for 90's Were All That block, which I watch every single day. Somedays it's the only thing I watch on TV at all 8I
Also, I honestly watch the Nick at Night sitcoms pretty darn often. George Lopez, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, The Nanny; not a huge amount of stuff but
-taken all together I probably watch more from Nickelodeon than I do all the other channels combined.
Also, recently Nickelodeon has decided to air the 2003 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon (which I enjoy immensely) alongside the 2012 TMNT series (which I never liked very much; too many wonky looking mutants, not enough ninjas), and if they do that long term, the channel will pretty much win me over.

For Disney, Gravity Falls, Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja, Star Wars Rebels (which is actually very, very good), and Phineas and Ferb are solid shows which I keep an eagle eye out for new episodes when ever possible. Other than that though, I don't really watch Disney that much, except occassionally for movies and the rare airing of older shows. I really miss old Disney cartoons, they need a 90s Disney block like Teen Nick's to revive classics like Darkwing Duck and Gargoyles.

Cartoon Network and Boomerang would probably be in better esteem with me if they didn't sandwich the shows I actually want to watch between hours and hours of crapy programing. Why does Boomerang, a salvage yard for cartoons of days long past that wouldn't otherwise be on TV anymore, air episodes of The Amazing World of Gumball? Why does Cartoon Network, which has a channel like Boomerang, air hour longs blocks of old Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry cartoons back to back? Why does modern Toonami only air on Saturday night? Seriously, CN needs to make Toonami an everyday thing, or else the block is going to meet it's end while the Z-Warriors are still on Namek :P
I watch Pokemon on both channels and try to catch any new episodes of Regular Show or Steven Universe that come on, but other than that I don't watch Cartoon Network much throughout the week. Sonic Boom, in the tinny, tiny sliver of a time slot it has is almost notable.

Nickelodeon takes 1st place for me
Cartoon Network is 2nd
Disney comes in 3rd, and then only because CN has anime, otherwise Disney > CN
And I'm kinda surprised I arrived at this conclusion
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I've mostly lost interest in Television(most shows are a lot less interesting when you can't enjoy the action and sight gags), and even when I do find a show worth listening too, I tend to have a preference for torrenting entire seasons and marathoning them.

As for the networks under consideration:
-I've never had more than basic cable, so I can't really comment on any of the spin-off networks.
-Regarding CN, I miss the days when they showed a good mixture of well-loved cartoons from before I was born, the days when their original programming was called Cartoon Cartoons and they had a Friday prime-time block dedicated to new episodes there of, the days when Toonami was an everyday thing(both in the afternoon and at midnight), the days when Adult Swim aired Futurama, the Days when they had a Prime-time Saturday night block of Anime and anime-like Western Animation. Modern Toonami has too much long-running Shounen that lost it's appeal a long time ago, not enough new and interesting programming, and even when they have something I actually want to listen to, it's had a time slot that makes tuning in just for that show difficult, Most of Adult-Swim's original programming never interested me and what little did never seems to get new episodes, and the reruns of Fox's animated sitcoms kind of lost it's appeal after I marathoned king of the hill and lost the ability to enjoy sight gags on Family Guy and it's sister programs. I also agree that their day-time programming has gone to pot.
-Nick, I miss the days when new Nick Toons where consistantly entertaining, when Teen Dramas made up a smaller portion of their line-up, and they didn't fill the day with endless reruns of the same show for hours at a time. I also miss Snick. On the other hand, I must confess to liking Nick at Night more in recent years than when I was a kid, though at the same time, some of the shows that made me hate Nick at Night as a kid grew on me in later years(For example, I enjoyed Andy Griffith a lot more the last time I was exposed to it than I did when I was a kid).
-Can't say I was ever a fan of Disney Channel, though I loved many of their Classic and Renaissance era Animated Features(Note to self, try to find a way to listen to the entire Disney Animated canon in order).

Notable Mentions:
-I miss FoxKids and KidsWB from before 4Kids took them over and proceeded to Kill Saturday Mornings.
-I miss the Anime Invasion/Made in Japan blocks that aired Saturday mornings on Family before Disney bought the channel and renamed it to ABC Family(these blocks where eventually superceded by Jetix in my area).
-In general, I miss the days when I would gladly crawl out of bed at 7 or 8 on Saturday morning, be glued to the TV to noon, and have two or three shows I wanted to watch in every time slot.
-I also miss the days when there was worthwhile shows during the afternoon and primetime during the week on channels available over the air as the Boarding school I attend from 4th-12th Grade didn't have Cable in the dorms(we went home every weekend, so I had the benefit of Cable then).
krzys2
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher
Motto: The key of making chao happy...Is good fruit

Post by krzys2 »

Cartoon network , because i dont know other one
Image Image Image Image
Legends will never die, so will not cookies
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

I don't watch much live television anymore, but I feel that it is more important to judge these channels based on present content and treatment of old content, rather than based on their history of channels.

I also wrote something dumb and long so I'll compress it.
Spoiler:
Currently, Cartoon Network comes off as the most successful. They generate the most shows that seem to be well liked, and are marketed and admired for their current iteration. Nickelodeon's regular programming comes off as weak, and most brands associated with the channel that sell well are selling based on nostalgia (Turtles, Spongebob, etc.).

In terms of original content, Adventure Time seems to be the strongest series on Cartoon Network, but it is important to note that Regular Show, Steven Universe, and Uncle Grandpa depend on similar elements. The Amazing World of Gumball and Clarence are also similar, but have enough differences to where comparing them to the others is more difficult. There also is some apparently dependency on Legos, based on this Mixels series and the Lego Ninjago and Legends of Chima series as well. (I am not discussing Go! or Boom)

Nickelodeon has entirely messed up, since arguably their best currently running animated series, The Legend of Korra, has become freely available on their website. The two zombies, known as SpongeBob and Fairly OddParents, are still running and have completely separated from what both shows were previously about. I didn't know that Sanjay and Craig was still airing, and it never came off as very appealing. I had no actual exposure to Breadwinners, and just tried watching the first episode. I will not allow myself to discuss Breadwinners.

The biggest concern I have for Nickelodeon is their dependency on brands: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Rabbids Invasion, and the Dreamworks shows. While Cartoon Network does have Legos and Pokemon, they've mostly been able to forge their own brands and gain respect that way. Hopefully these trends will pay off in due time, or Nickelodeon will take more risks on series that seem worth the risk.

I also refuse to discuss Nickelodeon's live-action or Nick Jr. content, as their live-action content rarely lasts more than a few years anymore, and I do not mean this in a good way, and Nick Jr.'s content is better judged by someone who knows something about educating children.

In terms of respect to older content, Cartoon Network also seems to be pulling its weight better, because there will still be times where older content airs on the main channel, not just Boomerang, where as to enjoy older content from Nickelodeon, you need to have one of its sister channels. To be fair to Nickelodeon, they seem to be testing the waters with a TeenNick programming block called The '90s Are All That, but it starts at midnight and doesn't last very long. Ideally Nick's primary demographic for TeenNick aren't the teenage children of children who grew up watching '90s cartoons, because then Nickelodeon messed up. (Also TeenNick seems to be hosting some of the better live action shows.) I didn't know until now that Nick@Nite was still a thing, and Nicktoons has too many sports-based series.
Honestly I don't think either channel is doing very well in terms of content, and what I've seen of buffers and advertisements definitely makes me think I can't look back anymore. It is really weird how adults produce this content, but I have a hard time watching it. I wish we'd see more who follow in the footsteps of Craig McCracken and his peers, where they make content based on what they want to see, not based on what they're told others want to see. Better content happens when creators are open and honest, not aiming for a particular demographic.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

TeenNick/The N Has been doing "90's are All That" literally for over 2 years, so it's safe to assume whatever waters they were testing have dried up by now.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

@Crazo: In all fairness, Nick at Night(at least last time I tuned in) was quite different from it's older incarnations(For one, where as oldschool Nick at Night had plenty of shows from the black and white era of live-action television and shows from when color television was still considered cutting edge, most of modern Nick at Night consists of syndicated Sitcoms that had their original runs during my life time(the block definitely doesn't cater to Nostalgic adult viewers the way it use to). Speaking of Nick at Night, we did recieve TV Land, arguably the oldest of Nick's sister channels for several years, but I don't know if we still get it or if the channel is even still running.