USA Election 2016

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: Actually more of a Gadfly

Re: USA Election 2016 (GOP sucks a thousand curds edition)

Post by Goat »

Off the top of my head, I can say that Trump did eventually denounce his support. The KKK then went ahead towards supporting Hilary Clinton afterwards. I think that's the second time I've had to repeat myself on that instance so far.

I mean, his quote really does sound stupid. Mainly because it's been taken out of context by a lot of people and been pushed forward as being the only thing worth reporting on. The full context was that he would look towards them as advisers in the fight against ISIS, which he already has many people on for other subjects.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

He denounced his support like, a week later or something.

Also, even if it is taken out of context, there is literally -1 ways that "shut down the internet" can be attributed to anything good. There was another episode I just watched about Trump wanted to take away freedom of the press, which was also p funny
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

The places were ones where ISIS recruits are the ones where he intended that "shutdown" to occur.

Now, freedom of the press.

I'm sure some media sites are good, but any kind of laws or action against the current corrupt media will have a lot of corrupt media acting like wounded gazelles and acting as if they're the victims suddenly despite the few years many of them have been active in disinformation, slander, and hatred against the population. I hope every single one of them goes 6 feet under as badly and as painfully as Gawker has.

Now back to the KKK, do you feel like there's someone we forgot?

Someone we acknowledged as being just as hateful, that we forgot to mention?

No one at all, reminding us to tell Trump to denounce them?

Starts with Nation, ends with Islam, in the middle there's an "Of"....
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

The places were ones where ISIS recruits are the ones where he intended that "shutdown" to occur.
First of all, there aren't just special places. Like, you don't go to Memphis and be like, "Okay this is Rendezvous, world famous for their ribs, and right next door we have the KKK signup building, where many prestigious KKK members get their robes. Oh and over here you have Alahu Snackbar, an Islamic Bar, Grill, and ISIS recruitment center." You can find ****** up **** literally all over big cities, and trust me you do NOT want to shut off internet for an entire metropolitan area.
I'm sure some media sites are good, but any kind of laws or action against the current corrupt media will have a lot of corrupt media acting like wounded gazelles and acting as if they're the victims suddenly despite the few years many of them have been active in disinformation, slander, and hatred against the population. I hope every single one of them goes 6 feet under as badly and as painfully as Gawker has.
To this, i bring up the Alien and Sedation Acts.
Now back to the KKK, do you feel like there's someone we forgot?

Someone we acknowledged as being just as hateful, that we forgot to mention?

No one at all, reminding us to tell Trump to denounce them?

Starts with Nation, ends with Islam, in the middle there's an "Of"....
I don't see your point? We already know Trump has raging Islamophobia.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

P1. Certain places could also imply the fact that Twitter hasn't done enough against ISIS recruitment and a lot of the time has been caught taking more action against conservatives than ISIS itself.

Or if you want me to bring up where they have recruited, there have been boards on 8chan with active and or open recruitment channels. Whether or not they were FBI/CIA sting operations is left up in the air.

P2. Took a look, any point in particular you want to bring up in it?

P3. Then why does Trump not have any plans to act against current US Muslim Citizens whereas Cruz explained his plan to patrol muslim neighborhoods?
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

P1. Are you actually going to blame Twitter? That's like blaming MegaUpload because people use it to share torrents. Oh wait, that happened and it was stupid as ****.

P2. Literal censorship. Not a good thing. Was repealed. Same exact situation here.

P3. Trump was quoted as saying that he was going to ban all muslims from coming to the United States and for muslims living in the US, they would be forced to wear ID saying so. This is something he stated even dating back to last November. How quickly we forget these things.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

P1. Blame Twitter for Terrorism? A bad idea, blame twitter for how it chose to handle terrorists? Good idea!

P2. You're losing me here, what's the point you're looking to make with the act and how it relates to the topic at hand? If you could rip a portion that you're looking to pinpoint here, that would help.

P3. He would require syrian refugees coming in to be under watch actually, not US Muslims if I recall. Aside from that, he's perfectly allowed to limit entry to Muslims should he be president. It could help if you also mention it would only be a temporary ban as well.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I'm no fan of Twitter or other mega-social sites, but how do you realistically moderate such a massive amount of traffic? Trying to hire enough raw manpower for the job would likely be enough to bankrupt Twitter, and any algorithm for automated moderation is likely to either give so many false negatives it fails to render Twitter unusable for illegal activity or so many false positives it blocks a lot of legitimate activity. Assuming Twitter could actually solve the moderation problem, forcing Isis and all other criminals to go elsewhere, Twitter is just one public forum in a vast sea. To add to that, Twitter might not be willing to share their moderation algorithm(same goes for any other mega-social sites if they managed to solve the moderation problem first), and even if the first to find a solution to the moderation problem was willing to share and the solution could be implemented on every public internet forum, the solution would have to be such that its publication would not contain information that would allow for its circumvention.

So, we have an extremely difficult problem that needs a solution that's fast enough to process all the world's communications in real-time and remains secure if it is made public. The Computer Science part of the problem sounds like it would give Turing himself nightmares(and for those who don't know, Turing is to computer science what Einstein is to modern physics). Not to mention the corporate politics **** storm that would come about if the developer of said magic moderation algorithm wasn't allowed a period of exclusivity or the logistics of having it implemented on every public internet forum or the ethical concerns such widespread censorship would bring up even if the algorithm was perfect.

Seriously, it sounds like you want to comdemn Twitter because they don't have the digital equivalent of a sniper array capable of putting a bullet in the brain of every wanted criminal in the world without hitting any innocents while the suggested solution sounds like the digital equivalent of nuking an entire city in order to assassinate one person who is suspected to be in that city. The former is straight out of science fiction and the latter sounds like something you'd find on TV Tropes' Godzilla Threshold page. Granted, Internet censorship and killing people are crimes of vastly different magnitudes, but I think these similes/metaphors do a good job of illustrating the described areas of effect and the collateral damage involved.

Also, if any of the ISIS recruiting threads on the public Internet are sting operations by the CIA, FBI, or another government agency, then shame on the government agency in question for their dishonesty and failing to uphold the moral high ground they claim to have.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

P1. They could moderate the terrorists the exact same way they shadowban, ban, and mute conservatives or other current right wing users.

P2. You're talking out of your ass if you think something like this would be difficult for Twitter, they have a very real bias that already targeted political figures and users over benign claims of harassment that wound up being nothing more than crocodile tears.

Aside from that, you're overexaggerating and making the entire thing sound apocalyptic for this incident. I've brought up two spaces they're known to recruit, we can start there or you can gawk about your dystopia that only helps people who plan on doing nothing to solve the core problem at hand.

P3. While the suggested solution? Oh right, the same lie that keeps being repeated with no sign of any of you wanting to take a look at what he said in any isntance of the word.

I repeat once more, all Twitter has to do is treat terrorists the same way they treated people like me. If they'll bellyache, they'll be dragged kicking and screaming into complying like the Californian lefties they are.

P4. To be fair on their end, the stings do have the benefit of catching any would be foreign fighters.
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by wic. »

Twitter is trying so hard to oppress you that I was able to find your account in under 5 minutes without knowing your Twitter name or handle.

Twitter is actively trying shut down terror related profiles. Could they do more to shut them down? Maybe, but I don't know. None of the people in this topic are well enough educated to speak in the matter, especially you.

I see right wing/conservative accounts all the time, hell I even see neo-nazis pretty often, so I'm not too sure what you mean about Twitter trying to shut conservatives up.

And I don't know how you think that the government will force Twitter to comply. Twitter is an international company and they can easily change their headquarters and thus its jurisdiction. We also saw a government agency try to force a corporation to do something related to security, and Apple completely resisted and had the case dropped. Informal precedence shows the exact opposite happening. With the Apple v FBI thing, the government only showed that they can't bully corporations to their whim.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

I've been taken down before and hacked into, part of me wonders who wasted their time trying to hack someone as low on the foodchain as me but **** happens even if I knowingly accept my place as just another internet denizen who wants to avoid fame and especially avoid winding up an embarrassing anti-sjw who picks the low hanging fruit of the most idiotic social justice warriors from tumblr and college campuses. That **** got too cringe worthy for me really fast when more and more people just found it as an outlet to boost their own damn ego.

That aside, you don't know because frankly you're not the one being affected. Twitter could find itself doing a much better job if it didn't find itself banning people for political speech at all or at the frequency it has, that's part of the problem here if we have a group that intends to create a Caliphate.

Now about Apple VS the FBI, I was honestly shocked just how fast the tone changed when just last month we had the media championing them when it came to the Oregon occupation. It's not surprising, but that was the first time I got to see just how authoritarian people will turn and then go right back to trying to masquerade themselves as libertarian. It shows nothing more than the fact that sometimes the only standards people have are double. You want to know why it was easy for Apple to resist before? The FBI acted only a shred of competence above Reno 911 police officers for that case, god speed to them in indicting Hilary at this point because I honestly don't know if that scandal of hers was anything more than a puppet show for establishment conservatives to make it look like they're busy.

But Twitter? Well do remember that Trump will have access to the Presidential "I win" button known as Executive Orders, it's no surprise Bernie or Hilary won't use them, even Bernie admitted to intending to use them to legalize illegals. This is part of why I stopped caring and started to enjoy what freedom is left before the next president is in, we locked ourselves into an even further authoritarian selection.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

They could moderate the terrorists the exact same way they shadowban, ban, and mute conservatives or other current right wing users.
They already do by responding to reports. They probably get millions of reports a day, and a lot of those would be false "this guys a terrorist" when it reality its just someone that speaks arabic talking about eating ice cream or something idk. Twitter can't moderate the billions of tweets that people post daily, and rely on the masses to report these things.
You're talking out of your ass if you think something like this would be difficult for Twitter, they have a very real bias that already targeted political figures and users over benign claims of harassment that wound up being nothing more than crocodile tears.
As stated earlier, reports.
Aside from that, you're overexaggerating and making the entire thing sound apocalyptic for this incident. I've brought up two spaces they're known to recruit, we can start there or you can gawk about your dystopia that only helps people who plan on doing nothing to solve the core problem at hand.
Learn arabic and spend your day going through posts from Saudi Arabia so you can report the terrorists. Boom, done. Ezpz right?
While the suggested solution? Oh right, the same lie that keeps being repeated with no sign of any of you wanting to take a look at what he said in any isntance of the word.

I repeat once more, all Twitter has to do is treat terrorists the same way they treated people like me. If they'll bellyache, they'll be dragged kicking and screaming into complying like the Californian lefties they are.
The reason Twitter got onto you was because you got reported. Boom. Done. I already know a few people from this site that would have reported you, and you do too. Its not like twitter is some political mastermind carefully curating the perfect scene to turn conservatives into liberals. That would require way too much effort for little to no gain on the part of the company.

EDIT: Also, the Government has no power over these "Californian lefties" you're talking about. As you can clearly see from the Apple v. FBI situation, the government doesn't hold all the power.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

I hadn't even considered the problem of Internationalization when I wrote my previous post. As complicated as writing a program to accurately evaluate the appropriateness of a post when you only have to worry about English is, writing such a program to handle posts in any language would be orders of magnitude more complicated. And that's before you take into consideration things like culture and idioms. Consider how imperfect Google Translate is and trying to combine that with any other kind of qualitative text processing. Seriously, even a version of a "modbot" sufficient to handle CI's level of traffic would probably be worth a Ph.D in Artificial Intelligence and a solution that could handle Twitter or Facebook might be worth a Field's Medal(widely considered the Nobel prize of Mathematics).

@EvilPinkamina: While it really isn't a reflection on Trump himself(I doubt he knows anything about making web pages), how is his website being entirely HTML5 a bad thing? Sure, pure HTML4 would probably be better if none of the added functionality is used, but my experience as a user is that HTML5 is vastly superior to Javascript, Flash, and other common rich web content platforms.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Its not that its bad, its just so basic. Like, it looks like something I could find on the tumblr store but with a coat of Donald Trump paint. Its not that big of a deal just something I noticed at 2 in the morning.

Although going through the site it does appear to use a lot of javascript. I didn't notice that lol.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

https://support.twitter.com/forms/abusiveuser

"Offensive, disrespectful or in disagreement with my opinion"

Their priorities are far disconnected from reality, I'm done going nowhere in progressing the subject at hand and would rather leave this to show just how childish of a site we're dealing with here.

On terrorism Pink, do you want me to ask the Saudi's which terrorists they're funding right now?
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

You said terrorism recruitment goes through twitter. Certainly, since you already know how they're being recruited, you can report the action, no?
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

If only it were that easy

If I may quote the department of defense
“Twitter is actually hurting the fight because most of the accounts they target are only suspended for a small period of time, not actually deleted. Once they become active again they are only contributing to the overall number of extremist accounts that are created each day.”
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

If terrorists lost twitter access, it wouldn't be the worst thing for them. Like, assuming that everything goes perfect for the US Government and only terrorists were perma'd from twitter and couldn't do anything on the site, that's still not where a majority of their supporters are coming from. Certainly, its where a lot of their publicity comes from, but not their supporters. Most of their supporters would come from the dark web. The US Government surely already knows this, and their movement towards twitter is nothing more than taking advantage of the panic to get what they want. For more examples, look at indecent in Paris. While everyone was mourning and sympathizing with the victims, many politicians took no delay in claiming the issue was with encryption, a point that most insist is the cause of terrorist attacks despite loads of evidence proving otherwise.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Unless internet is far more widely available in southwest Asia than I think it is or Isis has far more influence among Muslims living in the developed world than I think they do, I would assume the majority of their recruitment is done the old-fashioned way, and even if Twitter is the hotbed of Isis recruitment Goat implies, I suspect the majority of Twitter accounts claiming support for Isis are owned by the armchair activists of Islam Supremacists if not just a bunch of alts created by a handful of moderately tech-savvy individuals to make it look like Isis has a bigger presence than it actually has.

Also, I forgot to mention this before, but as much as I dislike Apple's "Walled Garden" mentality towards what you can do on stock Apple products and outright hate many of the trends in consumer electronics Apple started, I have to side with Apple on their recent decision to refuse the FBI's request to hand over information that could completely under mind user privacy on Apple products. The government has a bad habit of turning a blind eye when massive corporations misbehave or just giving them a metaphorical slap on the wrist when they do anything about it, but this is one time the Government was in the wrong not for inaction, but for action.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

@Pink
You're very right on encryption and recruitment, on top of that I do realize that a bulk of support likely came in from fighters in the middle east and europe as well.

@Jeff
P1. Middle class muslims are the ones most susceptible to joining anti-western terrorism. You might have a point on your later statement, though even if it is armchair activists do remember they're currently supporting a group responsible for attacks in Belgium, France, and attempted others across europe, and have a bigger success rate in massive slaughter and genocide everywhere else. Aside from violating a few of twitters basic rules as it stands.

P2. Among all of you already supporting a socialist here, why do you find a problem with what happened to Apple?
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

You know what democratic socialism is, right? Bc invasion of privacy != democratic socialism
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

What's the difference between that and a socialist democrat
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Changing the order of the words doesn't suddenly make it mean something different.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Socialist democrats have been around for much longer than Democratic socialists, couldn't your statement apply to yourself?

I mean, there has to be some kind of difference? That's what I asked just now.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

I'd argue, but honestly you don't give a ****, and if you did you'd have already looked it up by now.