Negatively Received Games You Actually Like

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 11 years and 4 weeks old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Negatively Received Games You Actually Like

Post by Lamby »

We all have that game that either we've loved since we were kids and later found out was universally panned by critics as terrible or that game we've always acknowledged as terrible as its reception but still love anyway for its charm, music, mechanics etc. Share that game/those games with us and explain why those game(s) earned a spot in your personal favorite games list. Please please don't just list games if you could.

Please do not mention games that weren't actually widely negatively panned by critics. Do not say something like FF7 or Pokemon Emerald: while fans may be vocal about disliking certain games they don't always parallel actual sales and reviews when the games were released. I'm talking about games like Yoshi's Story and Glover that were universally panned as meek games because of glaring flaws like difficulty, camera angels, and failure to make their mechanics come together effectively that may have redeeming things about them, in your opinion.

Here's a few of mine:

Contra: Legacy of War - While lacking the polish of the 2D SNES games and suffering serious control issues because the Contra formula didn't quite mesh with isometric 3D, I always thought the game had an interesting roster of Contra characters and it was quite a fun experience in 3D using the weapons in a new dimension.

Chameleon Twist - Hardly long enough to justify the price it sold for and lacking polish, replayability and difficulty, the tongue based platforming was one of the most innovative ideas I'd ever seen at the time.

I'm sure you've seen topics like this before, but since opinions change over time, feel free to post again and humor me.
Last edited by Lamby on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Re: Flawed Games You Actually Like

Post by Sable »

Sonic 06, Jersey Devil, Megaman X6, Glover.
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

ATTENTION EVERYONE.

I love Quest 64. I can't think of a single thing about the game I didn't hear someone complain about. I still loved it to bits and the elemental magic system was cool to me. I also liked how you had to find little whisps or something in order to power up your elemental magic. There was a lot of stuff the game could have improved on, but if someone ever gave the game another shot and redid it with a bit more oomph behind it, it could be a really unique and fun RPG! I also remember liking the designs of towns and stuff. Then again, I was really young when I played it before so I can't be sure on that front. The music's nice, if not a little outdated sounding. I never got very far in it before my grandmother got rid of it though. I should ask my brother if we ever got a new copy of it.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
CasualCollision
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: The War Against Roaches is over...

Post by CasualCollision »

Sonic 06, Glover, Big Rigs, and MOTHER (I'm not going to deny that the grinding and that the way too abundant random encounters are tiresome. With patience though, I grew to love it).
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: Never look at your life as something insignificant.

Post by Snowy »

Sonic 06
Midnite
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: ミ☆

Post by Midnite »

Call me crazy, but I actually kinda liked Bokosuka Wars.
- space for rent -
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

Guys, I'm sort of looking for a why as well. I'm not going to demand it, but I'm actually very interested in what you think. I could be missing out on certain games.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Jack911
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by Jack911 »

Spyro Enter the Dragonfly
This game was really hit hard because of technical issues such as frame rate, glitches, and that sort of stuff. I personally love it because it was my first Spyro game and it holds a place in my childhood gamecube experience. The only issue I recall having was some bugs with the glide mechanic, but other than that, its still fun (or to me anyways)
3DS Code: 5026-5348-1262
PSN: Lagilash911
Steam: CptJackFalcon
(PM me if you use anything)
Midnite
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: ミ☆

Post by Midnite »

I'll go back and edit my post with reasons why I like BW when I'm in a more upbeat mood.
- space for rent -
Kausa
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Kausa »

Monster Rancher series
----------------------

I can't even begin to describe how much I love these games.
They were all wonderfully made with amazing story and game-play mechanics.
They accompanied a series, which was also amazing, but the series and games came out the same time Pokemon did.
They were often called "pokemon rip-offs" but they were completely different.

The idea behind Monster Rancher is at one point in time, monster lived side by side with humans. They helped them in day to day tasks, and were friends and "pets".
(Every game says this part different) The monsters were trapped into disks called "saucer stones" for various reasons. In modern day when the games take place, people are releasing the monsters from their stones and using them for fighting. (The monsters often enjoy it, and the ones who don't aren't normally forced to)
The player takes place of a monster trainer/rancher. You unlock disks in a variety of ways.
In some games you find pieces of them on adventures and piece them together. In some you write words or draw pictures.
But in all main series game (I.E not the gameboy/DS one for obvious reasons) how you unlock a disk is by putting a CD or DVD into your playstation.
Each CD you put in unlocks a different monster, some games have over 500 of them. (I think the newest one has 700ish maybe?)
You then train and raise monsters for fighting, aiming to be the best in the land.
But you need be careful. Losing fights, training too hard, and going on adventures can end your monster up in the hospital, where it could die.
When treated badly, they will run away. And after a few years they will all die of old age.
You can use your old monsters to combine and make new monsters, who are stronger.

If you ever need to talk, vent, or just want advice, you can always message me!
Jack911
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by Jack911 »

^Ive always wanted to try that series, but I never made a commitment to try it
3DS Code: 5026-5348-1262
PSN: Lagilash911
Steam: CptJackFalcon
(PM me if you use anything)
Kausa
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Kausa »

You really should!
Though they are fairly hard to get a hold of now.
My personal favorite is 4, because can raise more than one monster at a time.
But you can get an emulator depending on the specs of your computer. (But they kinda take away the magic of switching disks all the time and seeing whats on what disk)
Omelet
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Omelet »

Glover - Charming gameplay, and the graphics were nice in my opinion. Though I kinda found the movements rough and some levels perplexing. But I wasn't familiar with the game at the time so prolly that's why.

Rocket the Robot - Man, I never see anyone discussing this game, so I'm assuming most thought it terrible. It was amazing. The game play was very nice and smooth, but I never have completed the game the many times I've played it. But I still love it none the less. One of my first games ever.

Pen Pen Triathlon - It was this game for the Dreamcast with these penguins and you would race in different environments. The graphics appealed to me as a young kid and I really enjoyed playing it. I know there were some glitches but can't recall them.

Marble Saga Kororinpa - I ******* love this game. One of my most favorite games. It is very challenging, and has great graphics and sound tracks. Plus you can make your own levels! The camera though can be annoying and your movements might be messed up.
Last edited by Omelet on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mhhhmmm... I am tasty enough for you, anon-kun? *sizzle*
Kausa
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Kausa »

^ oh oh oh was it Pen Pen triathlon?!
I LOVED that game!
Omelet
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Omelet »

^ Yes, it was! 8D

Too bad my disk snapped in ahlf because I was only 5 when I had it and though breaking things was fun
Mhhhmmm... I am tasty enough for you, anon-kun? *sizzle*
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I was under the impression that Monster Rancher was very well received by those who could see past the fact that it was cast in the same mold as Pokemon(though, in all honesty, every Monster Battle franchise has been doomed to living in Pokemon Shadow).

Anyways, Many slammed Sonic Advance 2 for being the beginning of the "All-Speed, no substance, hold right to win" gameplay that has plagued many of Sonic's 2d outings over the last decade and for overusing bottomless pits, but it was the only Sonic game I ever really enjoyed Time Attacking.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

Holy crap when I was little sonic advance 2 was crazy hard.I can beat it now but I honestly enjoyed the game after I got good at it.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

Every single game has flaws tbh.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

Yea but the point of this thread is to explain why you like games despite the fact that they are considered flawed and awful games to play. Tell us how and why you still find something everyone calls a piece of garbage a diamond in the rough.

For example some people think skyward swords controls are flawed (I would call BS, I had no trouble with the controls at all), but that game would not be one to talk about in this topic because it was highly praised by most gamers and the public in general. Upon release, Quest 64 got moderate to negative reviews for many different reasons. Most fans of RPGs call this a game only those who have never played an RPG can enjoy. That is why it an appropriate topic for discussion.

And also, Monster Rancher doesn't count because, outside of Monster Rancher Evo, the series has received overall positive reviews (I got that with a quick check of the facts on wikipedia). Just because pokemon fans call it a ripoff (some pokemon fans call ANYTHING where you raise colorful monsters of varying types a ripoff of pokemon), doesn't mean the game was considered flawed and bad overall. In fact, I've never met ANYONE who said anything negative about the Monster Rancher series.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
Kausa
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Kausa »

^ I only posted it because I've never seen anyone say anything about it period. I assumed it was mostly unheard of.
Outside of my best friend, I had her try 4 and it bored her out of her mind.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

skwid79
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by skwid79 »

I'd say twisted metal 2 with its awful handling on the vehicles.
Message me on Discord if you so please at skwid79#4016
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Post by CitrusCat »

Jack911 wrote:Spyro Enter the Dragonfly
This game was really hit hard because of technical issues such as frame rate, glitches, and that sort of stuff. I personally love it because it was my first Spyro game and it holds a place in my childhood gamecube experience. The only issue I recall having was some bugs with the glide mechanic, but other than that, its still fun (or to me anyways)
This. You basically said everything I would've said, so I have nothing more to add. :)
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
Shadowkirby17
Adept Chao
Adept Chao
Motto: Green is not a creative colour!

Post by Shadowkirby17 »

Sonic 06.
I don't see what's so bad about it; the glitches make it seem like an even more enjoyable adventure. Also, the plot wasn't THAT bad.
Maybe it's ghosts.
Gondi
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Gondi »

^ Good one.

Sonic Adventure 2 and Spectrobes come to mind for me.