Favourite video game soundtracks

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Tallkat Vantas
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: ask yourself: What Would Bayonetta Do?

Favourite video game soundtracks

Post by Tallkat Vantas »

Title is pretty self explanatory. Sometimes, by which i mean most of the time, a video game's music can make or break the whole thing. There's few incredible games which don't come with a soundtrack to match.

Personally, my favourite is the soundtrack of metroid prime 2: echoes. it's truly breathtaking at some key moments, and turns the great boss fights into something else entirely. It's followed closely by Bayonetta's and Skyward Sword's soundtracks.

What's/what are yours?
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Re: Favourite video game soundtracks

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Nihon Falcom is God Tier for video Game Music composition.

To list Specific games I have played to completion: the PSP version of Oath in Felghana features an awesome rock orchestral remix of the Ys III soundtrack plus two awesome retro versions based on the original chiptune versions. The game is worth playing just for the Music(the gameplay is awesome as well, and its quite pretty).
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

In terms of 3D and non-handheld games, my favorite soundtracks are probably from the first Metroid Prime and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- or at any rate those games' soundtracks stand out the most while I'm playing them. However when it comes to listening to music just to listen, it's always songs from Sonic games that garner my attention, particularly the soundtracks of SA2:B and Sonic Heroes. I also really like the menu themes from Sonic Mega Collection. They were surprisingly somber and haunting, quite uncharacteristic of the series (and menu themes in general), but very memorable. Frequently I would just stop playing and shuffle through the menus to hear the different themes.

In terms of 2D games, my favorite soundtracks include Sonic Advance 2 and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. I also like how Sonic Advance 3 reworked themes from the previous Advance games and Sonic Battle. The (in)famous soundtrack of Sonic Rush was quite memorable, and I listen to it frequently, though I kinda wish they'd gone for something closer to the style of the GBA titles. All of the Pokemon games have cool soundtracks, but Gen III is probably still my favorite, especially the BGM of R/S/E. That trumpet fanfare that accompanies every theme is golden. Oh yeah, and the Gameboy Color Zelda games had great sound. When I think of classic game music, I think of Link's Awakening and the Oracle duology. The melodies that played whenever the female lead was singing or dancing are probably what the games are best known for (and rightly so), but the rendering of past Zelda themes as well as those introduced in LA were equally exceptional.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

Anything made by Hideki Naganuma.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Wolf
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao

Post by Wolf »

eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

sonic heroes is actually p cool (at least i think)
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: Never look at your life as something insignificant.

Post by Snowy »

^ That, the minecraft soundtrack.
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Post by ShadriaFan »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr4j2dwMg-8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hBF1WZeT_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ph_hRm_ljc I know, I know that this is a remixed ost, but I couldn't find the original ost.
I could go on and on about the huge selection of Touhou music, but that would be too many video links.
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
Nirvana
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Booty butt cheeks! booty booty butt cheeks!

Post by Nirvana »

Chrono Cross' soundtrack was godlike
Megaman x4's was good too
I'm surprised no one has mention daisuke's stuff from gg or bb. oh well. Awesome stuff
all pokemon stuff was awesome. well, barring some stuff from the newer regions... 1 song sounds like dubstep x.x
Sonic was good up until 7 rings.
FF VII, FF IX and FFXII had good sound tracks, too
That's all I can think of for now
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Dust: An Elysian Tail's OST is awesome in my opinion.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Enzo03
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao
Motto: Resident forum dinosaur.

Post by Enzo03 »

Steam: crazyenzo03 - Discord: Enzo03 #2547
ZipoCXG
Chao Artist
Chao Artist
Motto: Well have you had curry?

Post by ZipoCXG »

Pretty much any Sonic game (minus Chronicles) or Pokemon game's soundtrack.
BriefCasey795
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: Recovering Cancer Patient

Post by BriefCasey795 »

Out of all the Mario games I have played, Super Mario 3D World's OST is my favorite.
Friend Codes - Youtube - Steam -
Anything you see on here before 2016-17 does not reflect who I am today.
moonsoul
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: How to cure an obsession: Get a new one

Post by moonsoul »

The Shin Megami Tensei series has awesome soundtracks. I've also been listening to songs from the Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side soundtrack. It's cutesy and fun, with a few sad and dramatic tracks in the mix.
Vampires smell good.
Aruesso
Accomplished Chao
Accomplished Chao

Post by Aruesso »

VVVVVV, the Katamari Damacy series, Sonic Generations, maybe the Pop'n Music games if that counts? idk they pick good tunes for their games
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

sonic heroes is da bes
CasualCollision
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: The War Against Roaches is over...

Post by CasualCollision »

EvilPinkamina wrote:Dust: An Elysian Tail's OST is awesome in my opinion.
Yes! Absolutely!

I'd also be lying if I said that Cave Story didn't have some of my favorite VG tracks of all time. That, and The Legend of Zelda - The Wind Waker, as well as The Tower of Heaven.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

Jazz Jackrabbit
Final Fantasy X
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

Sonic 1, 2, CD, Adventure to Heroes + Generations
Crash 1 to WoC
Guitar Hero (does that count? :p)
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Ivogoji wrote:I also really like the menu themes from Sonic Mega Collection. They were surprisingly somber and haunting, quite uncharacteristic of the series (and menu themes in general), but very memorable. Frequently I would just stop playing and shuffle through the menus to hear the different themes.
I'm doing it again now TT____TT

Sonic Gems Collection's alternate themes for the musseum are also pretty good. The remix of Can You Feel the Sunshine? particularly stands out.

Also, talking about suprising and haunting music- the soundtrack of Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku II. That game's BGM was so amazing.... It's the final word on the Game Boy Advance's sound capabilities. To me this was one of the greatest soundtracks of all time.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Yukki
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Motto: Cupcakes are evil.

Post by Yukki »

Man oh man, Zelda games always have a bootyful OST. Link between Worlds was golden, Wind Waker's OST was platinum, Skyward Sword's was a diamond. Also yeah, Link's Awakening and the Oracle Games had great music. Even the terrible games like Spirit Tracks and Minish Cap have unique OST. (My opinions don't shoot me)

But hey, I'ma redirect our attentions to Kingdom Hearts OST. Dearly Beloved is a really nice touch and Traverse Town's jazzy and relaxing tunes felt in place. Also, several character themes really stuck with me, especially Sora's theme, as it actually does portray his character well. Same goes for the other characters, especially Kairi's. This is probably biased cause I'm in the KH mood

A lot of Sanic's OST's were made by Crush 40, why else would they be epic? The Sonic Adventure series always had catchy tunes to listen to. Open Your Heart and Live & Learn were fantastic.

I'm not really a fan of the Pokemon series, but I gotta admit, the Orre generation had some sweet stuff to hear. Dat Miror B. tho.

And for the Mario series, well, only the main theme sticks out to me. :I
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Bruh, calling out Spirit Tracks and Minish Cap, looks like we gonna have to go. 1v1 Final Destination Fox Only 3 Stocks Melee right now.

--------

On topic though, ORAS totally takes the cake for my #1 OST right now. Its just all so beautiful and nostalgic, but also feels new.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
chaobreedersmh
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by chaobreedersmh »

Only a few games have their entire soundtrack appeal to me a lot. The Wind Waker is fantastic all around and I love two Harvest Moon games' soundtracks, Save The Homeland and Magical Melody. Those're my favorites.

Skyward Sword's was nice I liked it and I thought it really fit the game, but nothing stuck out a lot for me. Ocarina Of Time's was really good too but it's hard to listen to a lot of those songs because they creep me out, which is nice while playing, but not when I'm doing other stuff. All the pokemon games have some really good tracks like dang they're so good at battle music and gosh.

And how could we ever forget Sonic Adventure 2's soundtrack. Beautiful.
KuroMewsagi
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by KuroMewsagi »

When I think of games with great soundtracks, the first thing I think of is music games. Games like Audiosurf let you take any song you have on your computer and it makes a stage for the song automatically. There's also osu!, which has a pretty large community that constantly uploads new beatmaps for you to download for free, though your results may vary if you're not into J-pop. Of course there's also games like Guitar Hero and Project Diva. Of course using these games as examples of games with great soundtracks is almost cheating, since they're made FOR the music.

There's also games like Super Smash Bros and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, which reuse a lot of music from previous games. These games also make me feel like I'm cheating, since the majority of the music is so obviously reused.

The first games I think of when I think of soundtracks are the Danganronpa games. The first game especially has some really unique songs. The second game has quite a few songs remixed from the first, to be a little less noise-y, which although it's less unique because of it, it's definitely easier to listen to for the most part. The Persona games also have some memorable tracks that fit the game quite well. And of course who could forget the soundtrack from the Ace Attorney series? Recently, my friends and I started playing Rayman Legends together and we can all pretty much agree the soundtrack is one of the best parts of the game. And I'm not sure about others, but I knew about Touhou's music before I even knew what Touhou was, so it's definitely worth mentioning.

...and I just realized how old this topic is ... but I already typed all that ... and the thread's like halfway down the first page ... I hope I don't make anyone mad for posting this...