Dreamcast VMU Emulation

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Dreamcast VMU Emulation

Post by Crazo3077 »

I'm trying to find a program that can run VMU files and let me play their games. I haven't had luck at getting any to work, and I'm trying to avoid just using applications for Dreamcast that let you play the VMU games on the Dreamcast itself. Does anyone know of any emulators that actually work on PC?
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Re: Dreamcast VMU Emulation

Post by retrolinkx »

A quick google gave me several links to youtube videos and VMU emulators.

I'm not sure which one you're trying to find specifically, but they seem to exist.

Try looking through these posts.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Midnite
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: ミ☆

Post by Midnite »

I use nullDC. The interface is a bit clunky, but the emulation's smooth from my experience.
- space for rent -
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

NullDC emulates a Dreamcast, not VMUs.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Crazo3077 »

retrolinkx wrote:A quick google gave me several links to youtube videos and VMU emulators.

I'm not sure which one you're trying to find specifically, but they seem to exist.

Try looking through these posts.
The posts brings me to two options: DirectVMS and SoftVMS32. I've tried using DirectVMS, but it never loads anything when I try to use it. And I have no idea how to use SoftVMS32. It gives me a bunch of file types I've never seen before, though from what I can tell I have to run it in DOS, and I know absolutely nothing about that. Any advice on what I should use? The forum page doesn't really go into detail, other than that SoftVMS32 is the base for most VMU emulators out there.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

I'm not entirely sure myself. I don't emulate VMU's.

Why are you trying to emulate the VMU anyhow? I remember they used to be useful for obtaining special items for games, but I'm assuming you'd want to know how they can be used for Chao raising in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, right?
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Crazo3077 »

My ultimate goal is more related to hacking and editing, to be honest. I want to be able to test the breeding mechanics on Dreamcast, and I now have more than enough VMUs to do it very efficiently, but I cannot access anything of the special Chao from the Black Market, and no one saved the data anywhere. My plan was to use a VMU emulator to use Cheat Engine on, and attempt to find the variables I needed. I've tried on Dreamcast emulators before, but Cheat Engine doesn't always pinpoint the same location each time.

I would use the Chao Editor programs for VMU, and the guy who made it even posted on that forum you linked me to, but his editors only change the appearance of the Chao, not the genetics. This was a problem we faced back when Fusion was first working on his editor, but I made sure it was addressed. My plan was essentially the same as it was back then.