Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 3 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Sonicluigi
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Post by Sonicluigi »

Wow it's been a while since I've been on the forums. I have a question for any LoZ fan/player. I'm an incredibly huge LoZ fan, and i really enjoy most of the titles. I've always loved OoT growing up, but as i grew older and discovered the wonderful world of the internet, I found constant feuds between people saying it's overrated and sucks, and some saying that it's one of the best games of all time. I personally really enjoyed it, and it played a good part on my childhood, but i wouldn't jump the gun and say that it's the best Zelda game(personally, Majora's Mask is my favorite c:) I just wanted to know you guys' opinions. Do you think it's overrated or is it truly a masterpiece? And might as well throw out your favorite LoZ game just cuz i like hearing other people's favorites :D
Hi c:
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Post by chaoadventures »

From what I've played with the Wii Virtual Console version (I got to the Water Temple. Yay.), I can say this, Ocarina of Time is a very good game.
Graphically no. But given the tools they had at the time, yes. I personally like Wind Waker more, but I can't really say very much towards that
since the only 3D Zelda games I've played are Ocarina and Wind Waker, and Ocarina is very close behind.

I also just want to say Navi doesn't annoy me, but I can see why she bothers other people.

Oh yes. And I'm stuck in Minish Cap. Stupid Swamp.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Being a masterpiece and being overrated are not mutually exclusive.

Ocarina of Time is an excellent game every bit worthy of being called a masterpiece, but being widely referred to as the "Best game ever" is overrating pretty much by definition. Might be the best game the speaker has ever played, but few people can claim to have played every game widely considered worth playing, and I daresay it's impossible to have played just every game that has been preserved via emulation(I think the SNES had 720 games officially released in the US. Playing 1 hour of each would take 4 weeks, 2 days if you could play 24/7 and doesn't include the time to switch games).

Point is, chances are, if the person can be honest in their opinion, there's probably a game they haven't played they would consider on-par if not superior to what they consider "The Best Game Ever".

As for Majora's Mask, I haven't played it, but I get the impression that most who have played both OoT and MM prefer the latter but most who have played only 1 of the pair have played OoT. I do consider OoT my favorite 3D Zelda, but I haven't played Majora's Mask or Skyward Sword, the point-and-click aiming made me ragequit TPWii(and I've never played TPGC), and I could never figure outhow to get enough air with the leaf to get into the Lost Woods in Wind Waker.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

Overrated is an overrated term.

People just say things are overrated because they hear amazing things about the game, and when they eventually play it they're underwhelmed because they've overestimated the hype and because of that they don't understand why the game was considered good in the first place, and usually think less of it.

For me, I personally think Dark Souls is pretty overrated. I heard great things about it, jumped on in and it wasn't as great as everyone was calling it, it was underwhelming since I heard great things and was let down, I honestly think it's not as great as it seems. There are probably many reasons for and against my argument, so there would be tons for opinions of OOT.

Obviously, there are people who compare it to eariler games in the series, and if they can justify it then they usually have good answers to why they believe it's overrated. Personally, I don't think it's overrated but I do think people proclaim it to be the best way too much like it's their first Zelda game or to fit in since it's usually the first Zelda game they hear people talking about.

Plus, you've also got the edgy contrarian who goes against the norm just to be different, so we can't forget them.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Yukki 2.0
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Arrivederci.

Post by Yukki 2.0 »

^ As was said before, too many people overuse the "best game ever" rating. It's certainly not a bad game, but it never really cast it's magic on me. There were some parts that I enjoyed, but for the most part, the game seemed kind of bland and extremely linear. The overworld had little to explore, and it just felt, well, empty.

But as I said, it's not a bad game. It just didn't pull off what I expected. On the other side of the table, Wind Waker and Majora's Mask are beheld sometimes as the best games since OoT, and sometimes, people criticize them for being too light/dark. I think we can all agree that Wind Waker had a light surface, but a really, really dark story. Majora's mask is just dark. Imo, these games trump OoT.

Twilight Princess tried too hard to be dark, but it did end up having an unsettling tone. Skyward Sword is just a sin.
The Chao Island Resurgence will occur in 2026.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

ocarina of time really isn't that linear, it definitely guides you to certain places but it's not like you can't go off and explore and do your own thing and the temples can be done in a lot of different orders

without glitches i can think of these orders you can do temples in:
Spoiler:
child: (2)
deku - dodongo - jabu
deku - jabu - dodongo

adult: (30) (for any route that puts forest after spirit or water, you have to get the bow and leave)
forest - fire - water - shadow - spirit
forest - fire - water - spirit - shadow
forest - water - fire - shadow - spirit
forest - water - fire - spirit - shadow
fire - water - forest - shadow - spirit
fire - water - forest - spirit - shadow
fire - forest - water - shadow - spirit
fire - forest - water - spirit - shadow
water - forest - fire - shadow - spirit
water - forest - fire - spirit - shadow
water - fire - forest - shadow - spirit
water - fire - forest - shadow - spirit
spirit - forest - fire - water - shadow
spirit - forest - water - fire - shadow
spirit - fire - forest - water - shadow
spirit - fire - water - forest - shadow
spirit - water - fire - forest - shadow
spirit - water - forest - fire - shadow
forest - spirit - fire - water - shadow
forest - spirit - water - fire - shadow
fire - spirit - water - forest - shadow
fire - spirit - forest - water - shadow
water - spirit - forest - fire - shadow
water - spirit - fire - forest - shadow
forest - fire - spirit - water - shadow
forest - water - spirit - fire - shadow
fire - water - spirit - forest - shadow
fire - forest - spirit - water - shadow
water - forest - spirit - fire - shadow
water - fire - spirit - forest - shadow
combined with the various ways you can reach the various heart containers and upgrades and the fact that they're all available at virtually any time, no two playthroughs of ocarina of time ever have to be identical.

i do agree that MM is better tho, much better plot, atmosphere, gameplay mechanics, dungeon design, arguably music, graphics, and presentation

EDIT: actually all of the combinations that put forest before spirit aren't valid because you have to go back in time to get the lens of truth and the requiem of spirit but either way the rest are legitimate
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

^Actually, I have read at least one uber Challenge the indicated that the Lens of Truth and Requiem of Spirit are both optional. Supposedly, Young Link can reach the Spirit Temple on foot if you've memorized the path through the Wasteland, and while there are many traps that become harder to avoid without the Lens of Truth, there isn't anything that actually requires it. Not that I've attempted a playthrough with either self-imposed challenge.

But yeah, the only things that encourage one play order over another is relative difficulty of dungeons and maybe a few clues pushing you one way over another. Except for the Fairy Bow and Longshot, most of the Dungeon weapons see little use outside the Dungeon you obtain them, and I'm not certain upgrading to the Longshot is actually required to beat the game. The only places where the game truly railroads you I can think of are:
1. Must defeat Gouma to leave Kokiri
2. Must collect all three Gems to go to the future.
3. Must get the Hookshot before doing almost anything as an adult.
4. Must get all six medallions to enter Ganon's Castle.
naruto_chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by naruto_chao »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote: 1. Must defeat Gouma to leave Kokiri
2. Must collect all three Gems to go to the future.
3. Must get the Hookshot before doing almost anything as an adult.
4. Must get all six medallions to enter Ganon's Castle.
-Navi dive
-DoT skip
-Bomb hovering
-Actually Young Link can get into Ganon's tower, I dunno how but he can.

But for regular people the game IS pretty linear.
hey there! I don't have anything to put here for the moment, you can just move along now.
cloudchaoclan
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao
Motto: determined

Post by cloudchaoclan »

It might just be me and my predisposition towards storytelling in games, but I never really found a problem with the game being linear. I've always been pretty forgiving of games if they required me to sacrifice some adventuring to take care of something if I was invested enough in the plot. Even now, I still don't think its that big of a deal, considering countless other games and series do the same.

Another thing, (and this could honestly be nostalgia goggles refusing to come off) I still really like the graphics. I've never really cared as long as I could interpret what something was supposed to be. Plus, nowadays it has that vintage look that tells you the developers were working within pretty restrictive limitations and still managed to make it work.
wuz fun -_^
DropkickGiggles
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: Always grinding!

Post by DropkickGiggles »

For me, LoZ: OoT will always be my undisputed favorite Legend of Zelda game of all time. Ah, the nostalgia... :sway:

Life is Water Temple. Image
Chaos the Light Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by Chaos the Light Chao »

Fun fact: OoT is metacritic's most highly rated game and the only game to have received a collective grade of 99.

Nowadays, it's not that special as it's just another Zelda game using the Zelda game formula, but it is the OG of 3D Zeldas and was the one whose success made all the others possible, so credit where credit is due. It was groundbreaking for the time.