actually just visual novels in general

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

actually just visual novels in general

Post by Tsui »

[Previously: "Key stuff"]

The English version of Clannad has been on Steam for a little while and now its spinoff/specific route sequel Tomoyo After is now on Steam Greenlight. Also, Planetarian, having also been on Steam for a while, is getting an anime. Also also, Rewrite+, a rerelease of Rewrite which I believe comes with Rewrite Harvest Festa, was just announced, and Rewrite is also getting an anime.

Basically: !!!!!!!!!!!! I'm excited
Last edited by Tsui on Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Re: Key stuff - Clannad English on Steam, Tomoyo After English on Greenlight, Planetarian and Rewrite anime...

Post by retrolinkx »

Yeah, 2016 has been pretty good for Anime and Anime related games and stuff.

Phoenix Wright has already aired, and AA6 is coming this summer in Japan so if they're going to translate it we could see it coming by the end of the year which is great news.

Jojo Part 4 is airing too, plus the Jojo game will be coming this Summer for PS4 which is great. Fox and I will be playing that a lot.

That's pretty cool for Clannad though. I probably would've enjoyed it more if I knew less about the anime, and didn't watch said anime. Playing the game, even with the Tomoyo route would take quite a long time, especially since it'd just be going through the bits the anime deemed important, and the bits it didn't.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Re: Key stuff - Clannad English on Steam, Tomoyo After English on Greenlight, Planetarian and Rewrite anime...

Post by Mooncow »

Nice! Clannad is one of the most amazing animes I've ever seen, as soon as I saw official translation on steam I bought it right away, good to see the tomoyo after release too! If you haven't seen the anime definitely give it a watch, its a really good anime and i love it a lot.
I had the original game and dodgy translation but didnt give it too much time.

I've got the planetarium game on my wishlist and the anime sounds like something i will definitely watch.

Key are really good and their other animes are worth a watch too!
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

New song called "End of the World" revealed for Rewrite anime. Also, Philosophyz and Sasayaka na Hajimari are confirmed to be the opening and ending themes.
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!

Post by Flame »

When it went on sale, I got Clannad on Steam. Looking forward to playing it, honestly I've never forgotten the tears the animu made me shed.

I've heard of Rewrite from a few people, so hopefully that'll be good. I'll probably look into it, I don't watch much anime but Key stuff is usually good.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Re: Key stuff - games on Steam, also anime adaptations

Post by Tsui »

Clannad and Planetarian are 50% off on Steam right now, if you were thinking about getting them. Oh, and the anime version of Philosophyz.

Also: Rewrite is 5 years old.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Re: actually just visual novels in general

Post by Tsui »

this topic is now for VN discussion in general and not just Key. though, due to the nature of many of them, please refrain from going into depth about anything adult. :herosway:

I was wondering, what do you guys think of games using stuff like E-mote (previously Emofuri) to have their sprites animated? I think it looks kinda weird, but, it's certainly a thing that higher-end games can do now.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao

Post by retrolinkx »

EDIT BY MAMKUTE: Mildly inappropriate images in the video (nudity.)
After hearing this soundtrack from Yu-No, I've been meaning to play it for some time now, and hearing there was a remake coming out soon I'm probably going to wait for that unless it's bad/artstyle changed too much.

I sadly haven't played a lot of VN's, if any. I really should change that, they seem like games that'd really fill a hole in terms of vidya I've played. Yu-No's music at least seems like it has an emotional depth to it that probably compliments the story/scene it plays in that really affects the player.

I guess I should go through some 90's anime VN's over summer, along with Snatcher and other video games I've been putting off for years.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

I actually wasn't aware YU-NO was getting a remake, though after looking it up, it seems to have had some delays though the current release date is in March 2017. The art doesn't particularly look bad to me but it doesn't look much like the original at all. Dunno which you'd prefer.

There's an optional add-on to the English patch up on TLWiki for the Windows version that replaces the BGM with the PC98 version, if you're interested. But half the time I try to check TLWiki just in case of Subahibi progress, it's down, so good luck.

Lately, there have been plenty of good games and not great games released officially in English, even on Steam. Heck, maybe Steam would be a good place to start, if you're looking for all ages ones.

If you're specifically looking for old PC98 stuff though, unless you want to emulate the originals, I think a lot of ports have updated art and music plus voices.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao

Post by retrolinkx »

^

I saw some screens from the remake and it kind of put me off it for a bit, I'm still not certain which version I'd play. I and was considering it over having to learn how to emulate PC98 games and such, I think the last time I checked it seemed to be an odd process although I haven't checked in a while.

I'll see though, I enjoy the artstyle of Yu-No and the remake changed it too much in my opinion, if the remixed music doesn't sound as good or better than the original I guess I'll just go for the original.

I'm not too picky about VN's, but I guess I'd like to experience some oldies, mostly for their story, artstyle and music.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao

Post by retrolinkx »

Gonna bump this due to actually having played Yu-No. I've already posted about this game once before, so I'll just copy paste what I said in spoilers, and then actually say how I feel about the game now.
Spoiler:
For a few years now I've had a game called "Yu-No" in my favourites on Youtube for a while. It was just a segment of the OST that sounded really cool and because of that I really wanted to play it to find out what it was.

When I did do some research (I think it was 2014 at this point) I found out it was getting a remake, and held off on playing it to wait for the remake. Well 3 years later and I've completely forgotten about the remake and never really cared about it one way or the other, I decided on giving it a go after finding a English translation.

The game immediately started up with some nudity and then went onto a panty shot from below, I don't expect much from VN's so this didn't come to me as much of a shock. What did come to me as a shock is the main characters.

I'm somehow relating to this kid, like in every dumb aspect of his life. For example, when he enters his house for the first time in game, I noticed his TV was widescreen and started to think it was a bit stupid to have one back in the 90's, TV's were in 4:3. When you select the TV to look at THIS IS THE FIRST THING THE KID SAYS AS WELL, another example would be how he's always going on about how he loves the architecture of the surrounding area which I can relate to. He has an affinity for history and dislikes pretentious art.

The kid even has a goofy and confident sense of humor. A lot of the actions you can select but not necessarily do (since the kid will just stop you from doing so, leading me to believe that the kid is directly talking to me, the player) in the game are really funny as well, ranging from moving out of an area by going under a girls skirt, and having an option of eating food or my step-mother.

I'm enjoying the game so far, but it's hardly got into the main story yet. Can't really say much for it, but give the OST a listen at least, it's really cool.
It's really good, I've gotten two endings already but only at 34% completion and barely anywhere with the true ending so I've got a long way to go. One of them being your step mother killing herself due to being accused of stealing documents, and being defiled by a person she thought she could trust while you were powerless to do anything about it. It was actually a pretty shocking ending because the step mother is always smiling and happy towards you, and when you come home to discover her being assaulted by another man, you can't do anything about it. You try to fight him, but she slaps you and tells you to leave. You were just trying to help her, and she's pissed at you for it. You even meet the dude who did it to her afterwards as you're rushing home to sort things out, and he basically tells you he told her that she's useless and was just a tool for him to become chief of the company.

Incidentally, it's getting an anime soon. Work started on it in 2016, so maybe Late 2017/Early 2018 would be my guess. Look out for it because it'll be good if you enjoyed similar VN anime adaptions that involved time travel such as Steins;Gate. Although, it already has an OVA but it's heavily sexualized.

If you're thinking of playing this game, go for the Windows Port, since it's the easiest to get and free. Plus I feel the new artstyle kind of ruins the game and several looks of the characters, but that's just me. Here's an example of the step mother.
Spoiler:
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Post by ShadriaFan »

I heard Jojo Part 5 is supposed to have the animated pilot done this year and I'm honestly pretty excited at the thought? It's almost impossible for me to find a english version of the manga (3 out of 4 versions I was given links to led to redirecting ads and the other cut off parts of the pages and was extremely long as it was 1 chapter per page. ) so the possible anime would be amazing. Also there's supposed to be a live action movie based on Part 4 released later this year. :O
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

Should jojo chat be moved elsewhere?

So my favorite VN is this one that had a cyclops girl in it, it was cute. I'll probably have a different favorite when I play more so yeah.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao

Post by retrolinkx »

ShadriaFan wrote:I heard Jojo Part 5 is supposed to have the animated pilot done this year and I'm honestly pretty excited at the thought? It's almost impossible for me to find a english version of the manga (3 out of 4 versions I was given links to led to redirecting ads and the other cut off parts of the pages and was extremely long as it was 1 chapter per page. ) so the possible anime would be amazing. Also there's supposed to be a live action movie based on Part 4 released later this year. :O
http://jojocoloredadventure.blogspot.co ... eases.html

Scroll down to part 5 and it should all be there, you can even read it in colour as well, which I recommend.