Do you like the addition of RPG elements to everything?

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 11 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Chaos the Light Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Do you like the addition of RPG elements to everything?

Post by Chaos the Light Chao »

It seems that, more and more recently, RPG elements - namely, leveling - have been fused with more traditionally basic genres. Pure character action games have almost completely died off. Inspired by Souls, Witcher, or the Elder Scrolls, many developers are opting for action RPGs instead. Shooters, which once lacked anything close to leveling, are fused with RPGs in titles such as Mass Effect, Borderlands, and the Division. Even COD's Blops the 3rd has added leveling-up unlocks and upgrades to both its campaign and multiplayer. Then, there's MOBAs. Essentially PvP RPGs, they incorporate leveling into multiplayer with creep score and grinding while within a match. This subgenre itself is infiltrating other PvP genres (see: Battleborn) and making sure not even those style of games are safe from the spread.

Of course, "safe" is some sensationalist wording, and not even accurate if you like the elements. So, do you?

I liked leveling at first, but it is beginning to get tiresome. Keeping so many things locked behind levels has drained a lot of fun from the beginning of games. Not all suffer from this, like Mass Effect is fun from the start, but in games like Borderlands, you do not unlock enough stuff to make the gameplay diverse until you have practically beaten it.
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: My ego will blot out the Sun.

Re: Do you like the addition of RPG elements to everything?

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

I'm not sure if RPG elements are being added to everything.
I mean, there's definitely more action-RPGs now, but that was already a genre. I'd also argue that Borderlands and Mass Effect were made with action-RPGs in mind, so they're essentially that but with guns.
MOBAs are based on things like Starcraft and Warcraft, and both those games and MOBAs have been a thing for a long time.
I mean sure, we get games like Destiny and Battleborn, and sure, some form of levelling/loot dropping is included in FPS games in an effort to increase playability, but it's not everywhere, and it's not really anything new.

I think it's mostly okay. For me, it get tiresome to play COD and such games, because levelling is slow, and most of the time I've already done that grind/am doing that grind. I really like loot dropping as an idea over levelling, like how TF2 and CS:Go handle it. That way, you're not locked away from items, and just simple gameplay for a little bit garuntees you'll get an item that, if you don't want, you can simply just uncraft and craft another one.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

what is more tiring to me are the "open worlds" that pad the industry right now. i like a carefully crafted world, but playing ratchet and clank's reboot reminded me sometimes i just want to progress without traversing mount where-is-the-quest

but i particularly like rpg elements so a leveling system actually motivates me to play a 60+ hour game, particularly if there is some skill tree. and i don't have the dexterity for traditional shooters so rpg elements that pull the game away from twitch and precision help me enjoy it more. i think where you see slower progression is deliberate, especially in multiplayer games, because it keeps the game out there and visible rather than rented and resold and isn't like playing a narrative heavy or single player game where lack of replay value and longevity (compared to online games) is more easily forgiven.

i wouldn't worry though because with how much easier it is for smaller developers to make things it's doubtful any genre will actually go away and i've seen plenty of games paying homage to more visceral shooters or action games especially lately, just AAA games follow trends. just 15-20 years ago little girl me couldn't escape platform elements slapped into everything
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Yes.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD