Online Only Games

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: Actually more of a Gadfly

Online Only Games

Post by Goat »

I realize even if I thought up of the bright idea to make this topic after watching Rebel Taxi's cell damage video, it's also one I've made before watching it too.

What the **** is going on with online only games? Did we forget what the worth of a game is? A term I'll bring up again, traditionalist will be used in saying that the traditionalist gamer in me really doesn't think games should be impossible to play five or three years later because it was made a certain way that limits people from playing.

Now, look at all these games you see that are more or less exclusively online. The only saving grace is that should a company like Blizzard go to hell people will still be able to recreate warcraft, but other games will be as useless as Splatoon will be when the Wii U servers shut down and the company moves on the to NX.

We must break free of the sins of leisure and stop living in the moment (for this instance) and demand more content in games, I mean **** even Titanfall 2 is going to be getting a singleplayer campaign soon, something like that has become a second game entry. That just goes to show how far our standards have fallen.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Online Only Games

Post by chaoadventures »

Fun Fact: You need multiple people to play catch, or have a race, or *insert outdoor game activity*. Video games like this are actually true video games.
If your basketball pops, everyone has to stop playing. If the servers go down, everyone has to stop playing.

And video games are dying in quality anyways, so it doesn't even matter, 90% of the good stuff is already out, and we're just waiting for the rest before the apocalypse at this point.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

chaoadventures wrote:And video games are dying in quality anyways, so it doesn't even matter, 90% of the good stuff is already out, and we're just waiting for the rest before the apocalypse at this point.

some days i wish a new dark lord would finally arrive to punish us for our sins and begin the new dark age of video games.

I know what you're saying is true, most of E3 this year just showed how low energy gaming really is. You can't stop people from giving in their money, at most all I can do is spread the word to resist the lies and trash we're supposed to enjoy.
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by wic. »

I guess don't support business like Nintendo that will just let a community die? I like MMO's so I don't see the problem. I've never had a problem where I was playing an MMO and the community died or smthn
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Communities don't die within a day unless the servers shut down unexpectedly, and you can usually expect an MMO to do this over a game that isn't considered an MMO
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

TF2 has been around 9 years and it still has official servers and support. It even still has features in production such as official competitive matchmaking.

Pretty sure everyone's precious Nintendo are the only AAA company to ditch online games after what, 5 or 6 years?
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

^Assuming you're referring to the original DS and Wii's online being shut down, it should also be noted that the servers were shut down because their server matchmaking tech provider, "Gamespy",
was bought by "Glu Mobile" (I've also never heard of either).
Now they do it themselves.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Chaos the Light Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by Chaos the Light Chao »

Crash32 wrote:TF2 has been around 9 years and it still has official servers and support. It even still has features in production such as official competitive matchmaking.
Because it's successful and gets iterative updates. Games that don't have the gross income to keep the bottom line in the green throughout the years are all doomed to eventually die. Anything else is bad business.

Online only games just need optional player-hosted servers to be future-proofed (which, hey, is what TF2 does), but the only console game that has those, to my knowledge, is Battlefield. Online only sucks right now for a lot of reasons, but I think the concept will eventually develop enough to work much better than the current methods.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

What the **** is going on with singleplayer only games? Did we forget what the worth of a game is? A term I'll bring up again, traditionalist will be used in saying that the traditionalist gamer in me really doesn't think games should be limited to only one person playing alone.

Now, look at all these games you see that are more or less exclusively singleplayer. The only saving grace is that should a company like Nintendo go to hell people will still be able to recreate Mario, but other games will be as useless as Final Fantasy X will be when the robot overlords take over our free will and prevent us from playing alone.

We must break free of the sins of leisure and stop living in the moment (for this instance) and demand more content in games, I mean **** even Titanfall 2 is going to be getting an online mode, something like that has become a second game entry. That just goes to show how far our standards have fallen.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Crash32 wrote:TF2 has been around 9 years and it still has official servers and support. It even still has features in production such as official competitive matchmaking.

Pretty sure everyone's precious Nintendo are the only AAA company to ditch online games after what, 5 or 6 years?
TF2 has the potential should Gaben's heart remain pure to live on if steam or valve ever go offline. I remember something being said before that would allow their games to continue being enjoyed if they shut down. On top of that, computer games can still be enjoyed if they die thanks to programs like Hamachi. (REEEEEEEE)

But yes, AAA (Nintendo included) are the ones repeating this insulting process and are the guilty ones involved in this mess.

@Pink what the frick
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

I feel copypasting your post and changing some of the words is more productive than actually explaining why multiplayer only games exist, because i have the sneaking suspicion you don't care.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

I don't mind a refresher on why they exist, but if you mean to imply i'll unfairly judge you and misinterpret and assume against you. That's a different matter I admit I can be guilty of
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

@EvilPink: I got the impression Goat's rant was less about games with no single player and more about games whose multiplayer has no local mode and whose online multiplayer is dependent on official servers.

And while I much prefer a quality single-player experience(largely because I have no one to play with face-to-face), I'd have to say that, barring technical reasons that render such impossible, it should be common practice for multi-player games to have local multiplayer and for online multiplayer to be implemented on peer-to-peer rather than client-server, and if client-server is absolutely necessary, the ability for player-hosted servers should be a day 1 feature. Forcing players to play online and go through publisher ran servers when it isn't necessary strikes me as publishers trying to exert undue control over players.

MMO need a server-client set-up, and a home desktop might not be up to the challenge of hosting an MMO server, and having official competitions played on official servers makes it easier to block cheating, but there's no reason a one-on-one match between friends can't be handled peer-to-peer or just by plugging in a second controller if the friends can meet face-to-face.

And for what it's worth, if I'm going to play a multiplayer game, I'd rather play with a friend I can trash talk to his/her face than some stranger I can't trashtalk at all without buying a microphone that will get no other use.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

The only nintendo thing i can think of is the wii and Ds losing online services which even then were there first online devices. Everything else is still intact and as far as i know no game got hurt beyond belief by the shutdown, a lot that had online multiplayer i can think of where just as good if not better with local multiplayer, like pokemon, smash, and mario kart.
Enzo03
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao
Motto: Resident forum dinosaur.

Post by Enzo03 »

This is why PCMR is PCMR. Old online-only games or games with defunct multiplayer that actually have a community interested in them will just get modded into having online support again.

Case in point: Halo 2 Vista, with the Project Cartographer mod. Removes all GFWL **** and lets anyone host or join servers, removes DRM. Upcoming patches will add anti-cheat and stats tracking.
Steam: crazyenzo03 - Discord: Enzo03 #2547
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Nintendo community has revived the servers for a lot of Wii games, either through replacement ways like Dolphin's netplay or through alternate WFC servers.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

Nintendo's servers were only shutdown because of the GameSpy buyout and various other companies were affected too including most notably Rockstar who had to completely redo parts of GTA IV's online that relied on their services.
strawberry-boyfriend
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by strawberry-boyfriend »

It puts a nasty stamp of time on a game but it's interesting conceptually. I'm not a fan of Souls but they do constant online interesting. Journey did it very interesting, and emotionally almost. MAG was an failure though, same for Shadowrun.

MMOs are not a good video game forum for me but they are the purest online only games, and they're interesting for it, considering how they work and the money they make and the impact they can have. I wished something like The Secret World played better but it's still interesting and I think it works really well online.

And then you have Arena shooters, Quake, Team Fortress, CS, Overwatch, and they're very fun, but I can see the desire in their cases to have offline play (quake not withstanding).
Reviews for Ravenyte
"One of the best users... I've ever seen." - Roger Ebert
"Incredible... Truly [a] transcendent user, one who will no doubt change the face of this website for good." - A.O. Scott
"Pretty good." - Werner Herzog
strawberry-boyfriend
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by strawberry-boyfriend »

Enzo03 wrote:Halo 2 Vista, with the Project Cartographer mod. Removes all GFWL **** and lets anyone host or join servers, removes DRM. Upcoming patches will add anti-cheat and stats tracking.
Wow that's really cool that sounds like the Freespace Open Source project
Reviews for Ravenyte
"One of the best users... I've ever seen." - Roger Ebert
"Incredible... Truly [a] transcendent user, one who will no doubt change the face of this website for good." - A.O. Scott
"Pretty good." - Werner Herzog