Sonic Webble (Online Chao Garden)

Share your creativity! Post your artwork, comics, movies, and related media here. Share your creations or comment on/help others with theirs!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
hedgy
Child Chao
Child Chao

Sonic Webble (Online Chao Garden)

Post by hedgy »

Hi, I'm Hedgy, even though I am not active around the forums, I've been using the this website for years as my main source for chao information. I decided to make a topic here hoping to find some help. :)

:blink: Sonic Webble :blink:
Sonic Webble is a project I started for all sonic & chao fans. It's a place you can breed and train chao, unlike the main Sonic games where the chao garden is single player, this is a website where you can view anyone's chao, and let them race against each other. This project is in very early development phase, but is already playable here: http://sonicwebble.com/ When playing do note that your account may be deleted during the development phase, it will also be deleted when V1 gets released. The email field isn't being checked on whether it's a valid email, so feel free to put anything there if you don't like having your email in the Sonic Webble database. You can also choose a password of any length you like currently.

-- for more information see latest posts in this topic or simply checkout the game! --
Last edited by hedgy on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Re: Sonic Webble (Online Chao Garden)

Post by CitrusCat »

This seems really cool! I'm interested!

I have a few questions, though:

- Can you maybe show some screenshots of the game world? I'm really curious about how that feature looks right now.

- Is there a way to properly view the site as a guest? I went to the link you provided, and it shows the changelog and there's "signup" and "login" buttons, but I don't see links to any of the other pages. I want to take a quick look around the rest of the site before I actually make an account.

- Since accounts will be deleted as the game is developed, at what point can we expect our accounts to be permanent and safe from deletion?

Also, I've been getting into pixel art and sprites lately (my avatar is an example), so I might be able to help with that!
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
hedgy
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by hedgy »

CitrusCat wrote:- Can you maybe show some screenshots of the game world? I'm really curious about how that feature looks right now.
Sure here are some screenshots of the site as it is currently in V0.4.4:
Profile page
Game world
Chao race
(At chao race you can use the arrow keys to change the chao image on the right side, so you can view all the chao from the race. )
CitrusCat wrote:- Is there a way to properly view the site as a guest? I went to the link you provided, and it shows the changelog and there's "signup" and "login" buttons, but I don't see links to any of the other pages. I want to take a quick look around the rest of the site before I actually make an account.
As quest you can currently only view the chao pages, for that you need a link. Here's one of mine: http://sw.leonieponsioen.com/q/chao/135
I plan on making a proper homepage later.
But signing up is very quick too! Just choose a short username, password and email (even names, emails and passwords of 1 character long are currently allowed) and there are only a few accounts so it's very unlikely to be already taken. You can leave the image on default (which is amy) and only have to make sure to type the same password a 2nd time in 'confirm password'.
CitrusCat wrote:- Since accounts will be deleted as the game is developed, at what point can we expect our accounts to be permanent and safe from deletion?
When V1.0.0 is released I will do one last reset so all development/test accounts are deleted. All accounts registered from then on will be safe from deletion.
CitrusCat wrote:Also, I've been getting into pixel art and sprites lately (my avatar is an example), so I might be able to help with that!
It would be great if you wanna help out as pixel artist! I will give you a PM.
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Post by CitrusCat »

OK, thank you!

I like how that first screenshot has Chao Island pictures as placeholder images. XD

But anyway, I like the looks of it so far! I'm looking forward to seeing this grow as you continue making improvements.
I might try making an account soon, although part of me wants to wait until V1.0.0 so I don't end up losing my Chao...

One more question: Will Second Evolutions be available for Chao (if they aren't already), or will it only be the First Evolutions?
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
hedgy
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by hedgy »

CitrusCat wrote:I might try making an account soon, although part of me wants to wait until V1.0.0 so I don't end up losing my Chao...
Do note there's not really anything special having any kind of chao at the moment: It's really easy to hatch and evolve them at the moment (it goes really quickly), and they won't reincarnate yet (reincarnation and death is definitely on the todo list).
Hatching an egg currently requires 1 "pet" click on the public chao (or in this case egg) page. And 1 minute of pass time. Then it takes 10 minutes for first evolution and 12 for second (if there's an evolution at least).
(All you need to do when the time passes is refresh your profile page).
CitrusCat wrote:One more question: Will Second Evolutions be available for Chao (if they aren't already), or will it only be the First Evolutions?
Second evolutions will come, currently it works when you buy a regular egg, train it to run and then train it to any second evolution.
hedgy
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by hedgy »

Site is currently unavailable. :(
There's pretty less I can do about that right now, and I'm pretty annoyed by that. (It's also sunday so I wonder if support will even reply).
This is the 3rd time it happened, so I decided to buy a new hosting service, I bought a domain name for sonic webble with it.

I'm currently not home, and I don't have the necessary files with me to do it now. So sonicwebble.com will be online later today.

* edit *
now online at http://sonicwebble.com/
hedgy
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by hedgy »

Yesterday I released the new version ( v0.4.8 ) on http://sonicwebble.com

* Better performance
* Game zone: Sonic bounce attack fixed
* Game zone: Sonic ringdash
* Game zone: Background music and sound effects
* Game zone: XBOX360 support (working in google chrome and firefox, not working in internet explorer and edge).
Yimoo
Chao Artist
Chao Artist

Post by Yimoo »

Hi :herosway:
Do you guys need any help about drawing out all of the Chao?
Becuase I just happend to have a plan to draw all of them out too! If you guys wants to use them there will be some issues such as different art style, the program I am using (I am SAI other than PS), and time (Honesly i have no idea how long I am going to take too).Image
Here are my progress :
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=47832
The colors can be changed such as mono-tone or two-tone, but I am not sure about do you guys need Shiny and Jewel.
hedgy
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by hedgy »

That's some nice artwork you've got, I'll send you a PM.

Game has been updated to V0.6 in the meantime, you're able to plant trees and there are multiple playable characters for the game.

Also still looking for a sprite artist! :)
hedgy
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by hedgy »

http://sonicwebble.com has been updated again

Removed most of the first post as it's out of date and I wasn't really updating it, did add the following image showing the new header and Yimoo's chao art on the website

We are still looking for a sprite artist, to sprite the chao.

Programmers are welcome too.

Just send me a PM if you're interested joining the team
JamminNekoSoaper
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: SHAKE, RATTLE & ROLL!!!! O(≧▽≦)O

Post by JamminNekoSoaper »

This looks like it's gonna be fun!! :herosway: :chaohappy: :darkcool:
Will the extra second chao evolutions be obtainable such as neutral/run/swim+power, hero/swim/swim+run & dark/run/fly+run, etc? Also what about the animal parts?? I like dressing up my chao with the different parts to make them look like wolves, bulls & alicorns. BTW I don't have a comp but I when get on one I usually play Sonic on game-oldies; I hope the gameplay will be as fun to get rings & the possible animals with. If your making your own Sonic game from scratch then I suggest going for super fun gameplay with advanced loops like slides, rails to SOAP on & some swings. I'd also like to see Sonic's super peel out before he spin-dashes, digs, bounces, air-dashes, double jumps & twists like a tornado if thats not to much to ask.. olol :wink:
YOWHAHOWOOHOOHOORAYYAHOOYEEHAWYIHAWWEE~
Image Image
AAAAAWYEAH!! PARTYY HARDYYYY!!!! (\^w^)/ ° \(^w^/)
hedgy
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by hedgy »

JamminNekoSoaper wrote:This looks like it's gonna be fun!! :herosway: :chaohappy: :darkcool:
Will the extra second chao evolutions be obtainable such as neutral/run/swim+power, hero/swim/swim+run & dark/run/fly+run, etc? Also what about the animal parts?? I like dressing up my chao with the different parts to make them look like wolves, bulls & alicorns. BTW I don't have a comp but I when get on one I usually play Sonic on game-oldies; I hope the gameplay will be as fun to get rings & the possible animals with. If your making your own Sonic game from scratch then I suggest going for super fun gameplay with advanced loops like slides, rails to SOAP on & some swings. I'd also like to see Sonic's super peel out before he spin-dashes, digs, bounces, air-dashes, double jumps & twists like a tornado if thats not to much to ask.. olol :wink:
Not sure about the extra chao evolutions yet, but it's a possibility.
Same goes for the animals, it's definitely something I'd like to have. Programming it into the game would be fairly easy to do, but I will need an artist making all the animal parts for each chao and that'll take a long time.

As for the game I'm not entirely sure if I'll be able to get loops in it yet, but I plan on giving it a try.
More obstacles is something the game definitely needs, bottomless pits, spikes, balloons, switch/door system are currently things that are on the planning, grindrails is likely to be added in the future too. Currently we just have very simple non-moving enemies and springs.
Even though it's a 2D game, the skillset is pretty much taken from Adventure 2: Sonics skillset is Jump, Homing attack, Ringdash and Bounce.
For Knuckles it's currently Jump, Glide, Dig and climb, planning to add more features (like item-finding and a special attack) to him though.
For tails we have idea's but haven't started on him yet so suggestions are very much welcome. For now I plan giving him a ranged attack he can used both on ground and in-air. He can fly ofcourse (I plan to add the ability where other players can jump onto him and fly with him).

The idea is that you'll be able to make a party with other players, and then go into a zone with various game modes to play. Like VS race, but also co-op levels (maybe some levels require Sonic & Tails to work together for example). and VS enemy battles.
JamminNekoSoaper
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: SHAKE, RATTLE & ROLL!!!! O(≧▽≦)O

Post by JamminNekoSoaper »

hedgy wrote: Not sure about the extra chao evolutions yet, but it's a possibility.
Same goes for the animals, it's definitely something I'd like to have. Programming it into the game would be fairly easy to do, but I will need an artist making all the animal parts for each chao and that'll take a long time.
Aww really? Well good luck, I hope that Yimoo & whoever else teams up with you can make it happen soon.
hedgy wrote: Even though it's a 2D game, the skillset is pretty much taken from Adventure 2: Sonics skillset is Jump, Homing attack, Ringdash and Bounce.

Awesome! I love bouncing with Sonic!! I just thought making him be able to do what all the S3&K shields can do plus digging & twisting like a tornado like in the cartoons would be even more fun.
hedgy wrote: The idea is that you'll be able to make a party with other players, and then go into a zone with various game modes to play. Like VS race, but also co-op levels (maybe some levels require Sonic & Tails to work together for example). and VS enemy battles.
That sounds even funner than the game-oldies Sonic games!!!! I can't til I get to play it, hopefully by the time it's finished i'll have a comp.
YOWHAHOWOOHOOHOORAYYAHOOYEEHAWYIHAWWEE~
Image Image
AAAAAWYEAH!! PARTYY HARDYYYY!!!! (\^w^)/ ° \(^w^/)
hedgy
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by hedgy »

New update!

- Breeding
- New notifications system
- Not always receiving garden bugfix
- Goodbye forest
- Remove changelog (use sonic webble forum instead).
- Website style: Header, Menu and Buttons.
- Website style: Profile information in header and new popup-style.
- All Dark Chao added!

If you find any bugs on http://sonicwebble.com please report them! :)
hedgy
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by hedgy »

Looking for someone to draw Sonic Characters to use on sonicwebble.com, they will be replaced with the current character images which you can choose on registering.
("Upload a character" will be removed as your character will be linked to who you play in the game)

Sonic, Shadow and Knuckles will be most important to draw right now, as those are already playable in the game, Tails will be added too.
Other characters may be added in the future.

Poses and stuff like that will be up to you, as long your art style fits with the Chao Yimoo has drawn: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=47832
AngekFire
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: Believe in the me who believes in you!

Post by AngekFire »

I'm kinda curious. Will we be able to get hats and animals in the site? If so, how will they work?
hedgy
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by hedgy »

AngekFire wrote:I'm kinda curious. Will we be able to get hats and animals in the site? If so, how will they work?
For now the ideas for animals is that you can let them stay in a garden for a while and let them slowly increase stats for all chao in the garden. But it's still up for discussion.
We didn't discuss hats yet.
hedgy
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by hedgy »

The website has been updated to V0.9
- Fix Website style width and other style fixes
- Add other baby chao art
- Game Update:
- Temporary inventory for items like chaos drives in game.
- Draw order fix
- Ring item boxes
- Controller fix
- Bottomless pits
- new test map
- Losing rings and recover up to 20 rings
- dead
- Chat
- Rename Profile -> Lobby
- Rename Game -> Adventure
- Reposition logout button
- Sonic Webble avatar implementation
- Implement Yimoo's new art into website
Still looking for a sprite artist, let me know if you're interested
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

there's a bugged "old" character (it doesn't show anything so i picked it) and the adventure mode doesn't lock inputs so it keeps scrolling around at the speed of sound

there's no manual way to hatch eggs just yet AFAIK so i'm just gonna wait

also, reminder to capitalize your fonts in the CSS! "impact" doesn't work but "Impact" does actually i don't have impact, never mind. try changing to something else?
hedgy
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by hedgy »

eboyblue3 wrote:there's a bugged "old" character (it doesn't show anything so i picked it) and the adventure mode doesn't lock inputs so it keeps scrolling around at the speed of sound

there's no manual way to hatch eggs just yet AFAIK so i'm just gonna wait

also, reminder to capitalize your fonts in the CSS! "impact" doesn't work but "Impact" does actually i don't have impact, never mind. try changing to something else?
Woops, I forgot to remove those files, thanks for letting me know. I've removed the old images so registration shouldn't show old characters anymore.
To lock scrolling just click on the game (not the chatbox but game itself), if that doesn't lock it I'd like to know what browser you're using. I mostly test using google chrome but it should work in other browsers too. (Edit: NVM, I just noticed it still scrolls when pressing down, will look into it (and pressing the input box is actually the trick to lock scrolling xD))
Seems like I forgot to add the impact font files to the website, could you try again? The impact font should work now.

For the eggs, they should hatch after 75 minutes and one "pet" click (click on your chao and press "pet"). So if they don't hatch after 75 minutes try pressing that button. More information on hatch/evolution duration can be found on the sonic webble forum: http://sonicwebble.com/forums/index.php ... ide#latest