Question regarding Breeding/Genetics.

Post here if you want help with Chao raising/breeding, or if you are a kind person that likes to help other people!
Warning! This topic is 11 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Indigoma
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Question regarding Breeding/Genetics.

Post by Indigoma »

Is a Chao's Alleles decided from the parent's phenotypes? For example, if I were to have two parents, one with a Red Allele and a Blue Allele with it's colour being Blue, and the second parent with a Green Allele and a Yellow Allele with its colour being Yellow, would the child have a 25% chance of being born with each Allele, or would its alleles just be Blue and Yellow?
Last edited by Indigoma on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spectre- Dark/R/F, Monotone White.
iDontKnow
Master Chao
Master Chao

Re: Question regarding Breeding/Genetics.

Post by iDontKnow »

It's probably allele's like Humans
ImageImageImageImageImage
If I make a post, and you respond, the odds of me even seeing it 0.
Indigoma
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by Indigoma »

iDontKnow wrote:It's probably allele's like Humans
I.. Don't know what a Human's alleles are like..? I'm in 8th grade. I haven't been taught genetics.
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

For not knowing how genetics work, you have the right idea, and are using the right terminology.

Chao have two alleles for all characters (color, tone, shine, and texture.) One is set as the visible one, and the other as the hidden one, it is usually random which is chosen, all though certain things such as no Jewel and Normal are set as recessive, and will always be hidden, unless they are both genes present. And all though hidden, the non-visible gene has the same chance of occuring in the child as the visible one. So you were correct. The hypothetical chao could easily result as Red.
Indigoma
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by Indigoma »

Mamkute wrote:For not knowing how genetics work, you have the right idea, and are using the right terminology.

Chao have two alleles for all characters (color, tone, shine, and texture.) One is set as the visible one, and the other as the hidden one, it is usually random which is chosen, all though certain things such as no Jewel and Normal are set as recessive, and will always be hidden, unless they are both genes present. And all though hidden, the non-visible gene has the same chance of occuring in the child as the visible one. So you were correct. The hypothetical chao could easily result as Red.
So you're saying that even though none of the parents are Red in colour, the child still has a 25% chance of having Red as his visible Base Colour Allele because one of the parents has Red as its hidden Allele?
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

Correct. A 50/50 chance for Red being the gene contributed by the one parent, and a 50/50 chance for it being the selected trait as the visible color. You will do fine in the genetics portion of biology, too.
Indigoma
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by Indigoma »

Mamkute wrote:Correct. A 50/50 chance for Red being the gene contributed by the one parent, and a 50/50 chance for it being the selected trait as the visible color. You will do fine in the genetics portion of biology, too.
Haha, I'm learning biology through video games, yay :D
And thanks for the info. I've been pondering this for the whole day and it's been driving me nuts.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

^
Do understand that Chao Genetics are overly simplified examples of how real genetics work and how high school teaches genetics. In real genetics this coin-flip type genetics doesn't seem to exist are clearly as it does in Chao. And pretty much all of the Chao's genes are coin-flips when breeding except that the Normal Color Gene is recessive and the Jewel Coat is dominant over the lack there of. There is also some controversy of Shininess being dominant, but from my research it is also a coin-flip.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

Granted, I did not want to go into the specifics on comparing real life genetics and chao genetics (with the most notable difference being the way chao's do incomplete dominance, compared to real life.) But either way, the concept is of great help to any form of class relating to basic Mendelian genetics, especially with knowing how it works by assumption, as is the case by Indigoma.