How do you reset the Black Market egg sets in SA2B PC?

Post here if you want help with Chao raising/breeding, or if you are a kind person that likes to help other people!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 1 month old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Megawolf
Egg
Egg

How do you reset the Black Market egg sets in SA2B PC?

Post by Megawolf »

Hello all,

I've been looking for a shiny purple egg for a while, and recently stumbled across the excellent Black Market Guide on this forum. The guide mentions that each save gets two of three possible sets and that you would need to create a new chao save to have a chance at accessing the remaining set. However, I'm having trouble getting the black market to generate any different sets than the ones it got the first time.

The chao save for the PC version of SA2B is located at (SA2B Install Location)\resource\gd_PC\SAVEDATA\SONIC2B__ALF. Renaming this file or moving it out of the directory causes the game to create a new Chao Garden, but the Black Market always seems to carry the same sets of eggs. On my 105 emblem game, I can see orange, green, blue, and red eggs. No amount of resetting the chao data seems to affect that combination.

Does anyone know if there is an additional step needed to change the egg sets for the Black Market? Do the egg sets still apply in the PC version? Is the RNG for the Black Market just completely broken?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide. I will update this post with any additional information I find out as I play the game.
toffyflame
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: SA2 is what I do!

Re: How do you reset the Black Market egg sets in SA2B PC?

Post by toffyflame »

well, from what i know, you have to either get more rings or you have to wait... usually i'd just get a ton of rings and then after entering the chao garden the eggs are back, if they aren't then you might want to get more emblems, or find some hacking software that can change the chance variables of when they appear
Sonic Adventure 2 is what I do! wish me luck on the road to 180 Emblems :surprise:
Megawolf
Egg
Egg

Re: How do you reset the Black Market egg sets in SA2B PC?

Post by Megawolf »

Hi toffyflame,

Thanks for the response! I know that collecting emblems causes the Black Market to stock more items, but the thing I'm having an issue with is the random egg color sets. According to the Black Market guide, there are 3 sets of rare colors:

Orange, Green, and Blue
Red, Sky Blue, and Brown
Purple, Pink, and Yellow

The guide states that each chao save randomly gets two of the three sets and will not get any egg from the remaining set. This encouraged trading on the Dreamcast and GameCube, but trading is impossible on the PC version without mods.

At 125 emblems, I can see all the eggs from the Orange and Red sets, but no amount of deleting my chao save causes the Black Market to replace either of those sets with the Purple set.

All this leads me to wonder if the egg set system was changed for the PC release since trading has been removed. I went ahead and gave myself a purple chao with Fusion's Chao Editor, but I'm still hoping the other eggs show up as I get closer to 180 emblems. If not, I have no idea how I could get anything from that set unless I need to delete the game saves in addition to the chao save.