I need help with SA2B Memory Cards!!

Post here if you want help with Chao raising/breeding, or if you are a kind person that likes to help other people!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 3 weeks old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Chao Professor
Motto: It's thinking...

I need help with SA2B Memory Cards!!

Post by Chao Professor »

Hi!

I''m feeling pretty scared. My memory card only has 8 blocks of storage left. How long do you guys think I have before it needs to be wiped? I'm playing on the Wii, so is there any way to save my chao? I have put nearly a decade of work into these chao, I HAVE to save them! :herocry: I want to play so badly but I'm scared of my memory card dying. Please help :cry:

EDIT: Just wondering, if transferred all my chao to SADX, bought a new memory card, then transported them back to the new card on SA2B, would that save them?
Last edited by Chao Professor on Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image It's still thinking...
Shining Chaos Chao
VIP
VIP
Motto: beer, sleep, game, repeat.

Re: I need help with SA2B Memory Cards!!

Post by Shining Chaos Chao »

Eh well - I'm certainly no hardware expert - but Gamecube memory cards are flash based (it's basically an SD card), so you'll find that there is a correlation between the device's life span and how many write cycles it has had.

Of course since we are talking about something you've had for a decade - physical deterioration that will happen over the years is going to be a factor.

Being "8 blocks from full" in itself isn't too much of a concern. Some games are storage hogs and use all the blocks of a standard memory card from your first save.

Chao data cannot be backed up via normal means - You'll have to do something frowned upon by Nintendo, listed by degree of difficulty and/or risk:
  • Cheat devices such as Action Replays usually have a save backup tool
  • Wiis can be softmodded (homebrew etc) (thinking about doing this soon myself)
  • If you're tech savvy - I doubt the card you modify in this way will be good to use though - I imagine you would have to mod a different card, then create a chao garden on that card and use the move function to move your chao over - then backup to your computer.
I've fallen out of the loop technology wise over the last few years so I wouldn't be surprised at all if I missed something easier

But all in all - Honestly I just wouldn't be too concerned about it.