How do genetics work when growing up?

Post here if you want help with Chao raising/breeding, or if you are a kind person that likes to help other people!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
BarterJam21
Egg
Egg

How do genetics work when growing up?

Post by BarterJam21 »

Say, for example, you have a C/C in swimming for a given chao. Let's say he grows up swimming type. His phenotype shows a B, but what does that mean for the genotype? Does he gain a third "B" allele? Does the B replace one? Both? How does this work for heterozygous matchings? Finally, how would this affect breeding? Thanks! :chaohappy:
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Re: How do genetics work when growing up?

Post by Crazo3077 »

This is actually a great question that I'm not sure if has been tested.

I want to say that it becomes the genotype, since I wouldn't really call it a phenotype.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
BarterJam21
Egg
Egg

Post by BarterJam21 »

Crazo3077 wrote:This is actually a great question that I'm not sure if has been tested.

I want to say that it becomes the genotype, since I wouldn't really call it a phenotype.
True enough, I tried running test after test on this by breeding, but they were inconclusive since the grades can compromise. Makes finding a definite answer veeery difficult haha
BarterJam21
Egg
Egg

Post by BarterJam21 »

It seems when a chao grows up, it gains a third allele that acts as the "current grade". Another user, MintyMyndi, answered a similar question in another thread, but this brings up a further question. If this model is true, and the swim chao i used in my previous post becomes a C/C/B, then what happens when he mates? What happens when the kid goes in and has a "C" for his grade? We can assume the third allele is a C, but what are the other two? Could a chao have a D/C/B genotype? Or since the third is the current grade, do we know two of the three alleles (C/?/C)?

EDIT: I didn't read the post all the way through. It appears that the third does not appear until after the chao has both alleles in place. This suggests that the D/C/B chao I mentioned would be impossible, as the current grade is either of the two alleles the parents give. Meaning the chao with the current grade of C must also have another.