SA2B Memory Card Storage

Post here if you want help with Chao raising/breeding, or if you are a kind person that likes to help other people!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 5 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Chao Professor
Motto: It's thinking...

SA2B Memory Card Storage

Post by Chao Professor »

I posted this a while back but didn't get the response I needed, so I'll try again. I've used the same memory card for the past 8-10 years, and only 3 years ago I learnt about the data corrupting and losing all your chao! This would absolutely DEVASTATE me, and I can't clone them since I'm on the Wii. I do have 2 extra memory cards, but I've had those for countless years too, and they also have chao scattered about. My main memory card containing my favourite, oldest chao only has 8 blocks of memory left, and though I'm no tech-whizz, I'm guessing that's not a lot.

I have devised a plan (sort of) to save my chao, but I need conformation by someone that this would work.

1. Go to SA2B, drop a chao off to the Gameboy Advance
2. Pick them up in SADX and leave them there.
3. The chao copy would remain in SA2B.
4. When data finally does go bang, buy a new memory card, and pick the chao up from SADX and take it over.

I have not had the chance to try this out as of yet, and with 61 chao to shift, it would certainly take me a while. Can someone please advise me on what to do? Would the plan work? How much time do you think I have left on my main memory card, with 8 blocks remaining?

Thank you in advance for any help :walkto:
Image It's still thinking...
ChaoGardenBuster
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: Know both sides of the story before you assume.

Re: SA2B Memory Card Storage

Post by ChaoGardenBuster »

Yes that can work, you basically have the right idea. How much time left? I don't know I guess it all depends on what kind of memory card you have. (official or unofficial) All I can say is try to avoid adding too many data on your memory cards like pictures, replays, or multiple unnecessary save blocks. Usually official memory cards last the longest, had mine for 12 years and its still going.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

With 8 Blocks left, you have an infinite amount of time left (In general).

In other words...
Blocks are not the amount of time before your Memory Card dies.

You actually don't know when your Memory Card will stop working, if at all. BUT.
The internet has only given me far and few between instants of this actually happening only with third-party Memory Cards (Unofficial ones).
And I've had my Memory Cards for YEARS and nothing's happened to the officials. And only one of my crappy Pelican has genuinely kicked the
bucket. I have like 10 Memory Cards.

Although, as officially suggested by Nintendo, "It is always a good idea to copy your most important files to a second Memory Card as a back-up."

If your data somehow does get corrupted, just take it out and put it back in 1 to 999,999,999 times and that should fix it.
I've been doing this my whole freakin' life with those stupid Pelican Memory Cards. That said, If your data's on a third party Memory Card,
made by Pelican, Mad Catz, or some lame no-name brand, do remember something could actually go wrong.

But back to your initial question.

Yes, this will work. But it's extremely tedious.

Better plan:

- Get a new memory card.

- Copy your SA2B main file.

- Copy your SA2B Chao file.

- Problem solved.
Last edited by chaoadventures on Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
FedoraBrella Chao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Fedoras and umbrellas...together at last!

Post by FedoraBrella Chao »

If what you're talking about is Chao data being overwritten by other data, that won't happen. It'll just not create data it doesn't have room for. I've never had ANY memory card corrupt, even the one I've been using since 2005 or so. If it tells you to format your data, DON'T. Turn the system off, and remove and put back in the memory card until it works.
Fedoras and umbrellas will always stand beside me!
Chao Professor

Post by Chao Professor »

Thank you all for the helpful information. I'm pretty much sorted now, but I have one final question :darksway:

How can I copy SA2B/Chao Data to another memory card on the Wii? I heard you could do it with the Gamecube by going to the system menu, but that's not an option with a Wii console.

Still thanks again for the great responses I have received, and I actually though for years that blocks did equal time before corruption. (Not a tech-whizz :chaocry: )
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Here's the steps for transferring/copying save data on the Wii.
Spoiler:
Here we go, on the Wii Menu, at the bottom-left of the screen the there's a button with "Wii" on it.
This goes to Wii Options.

In Wii Options, there should be 2 big icons, one of them says "Data Management", click on that one.

After clicking on "Data Management", 2 new icons should be on the screen, click on the one that says "Save Data".

Next, 2 more icons will be on the screen. Click on the one that says "Nintendo Gamecube".

At this point you should be viewing the save data for the Memory Card in Slot A.

If you didn't put in a Memory Card at this point, that's okay because you can still put in a Memory Card when your Wii is on,
just not while a game is playing (Basically).

If the Memory Card you want to copy your data from is in Slot B, click on the tab at the top of the screen.

Now you need to find the data you want to transfer. In this case, your SA2B files.

The files with the data containing, your Emblems, Rings, and progress in the main game all have the same icon of Sonic looking at you blinking,
one for each save file you have on your Memory Card. Each one is labeled File 01 and File 02 and so on, so, it shouldn't be too hard to find the one you want.

The Chao data, should have a picture of a Chao waving at you. There's only one per Memory Card, so just look for one of them.

As for Copying the files, click on the icon of the data you want, and a small screen should pop up.

In most cases, the screen should give you the choice to Move, Copy, or Erase your data.

You guessed, press Copy to copy your data. The data will be copied to the Memory Card in the other slot, if it has enough space.

And there you go, that's how you transfer data on the Wii.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Chao Professor

Post by Chao Professor »

Ah! Thank you. My chao are saved! :)