Really confused at what types of Chao I have here

Post here if you want help with Chao raising/breeding, or if you are a kind person that likes to help other people!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Magikarpador
Child Chao
Child Chao

Really confused at what types of Chao I have here

Post by Magikarpador »

I haven't played SA2B on the Gamecube for quite a while. I turn it on, and of course I dive into Chao. I had a few Chao of various colours already there, meaning I really have no clue on their heritage. Image Now, I bred the two Chao on the left. I'm really confused as to what the Boar Chao is. I could've sworn it was a shiny lime green Chao, but once it became a hero Chao is started looking more yellow instead. Then there's that coloration on its stomach, which probably means there's a lot more to in than I thought. Then I've been getting some weird children from them. I have a gotten white, shiny white, gold, yellow, shiny yellow, shiny jewel normal, and the one I have absolutely no clue of, that brown Chao shown in the picture. Not sure if it's clear, but it seems to also have green highlights and I really don't get how I got it...

So... What would you say is going on here?
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Re: Really confused at what types of Chao I have here

Post by Crazo3077 »

The lighting made it hard to tell, but after further inspection, I can explain exactly what is happening.

Your two parent Chao were a Shiny Brown Chao and a Shiny Two-Tone Yellow Chao. The offspring is a Two-Tone Brown Chao. I'm assuming that you're unfamiliar with what a Two-Tone Chao is, since that seems to be your area of confusion.

Two-Tone Chao are Chao that take dynamic color changes on their body in various patterns. The best example is the Normal Chao or Default Chao, which is Blue and Yellow when it is born, and changes colors depending on how your raise it. This is differs from a Mono-Tone Chao, which is like the Colored Eggs you can buy in the Black Market. Those Chao do not change color as your raise them.

When you breed a Default Chao with a Color Chao, they have a chance at making a Two-Tone Color Chao. In your situation, a Default Chao would have mated with a Shiny Yellow Chao, resulting in a Shiny Two-Tone Yellow Chao. That is why your "Boar Chao" has colored patterns on its belly, but your Shiny Brown Chao doesn't.

By breeding the Shiny Brown Chao with the Shiny Two-Tone Yellow Chao, the offspring obtained the Color Brown from one parent, the Two-Tone Gene from the other parent, and the Non-Shiny appearance from a grandparent. That is how you have the Chao you have now.

One of us can give a more thorough explanation of Chao Genetics if you would like, but that covers how you got the result that you have now.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
Arctic
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: trans rights

Post by Arctic »

Magikarpador wrote:Image Now, I bred the two Chao on the left....Then I've been getting some weird children from them. I have a gotten white, shiny white, gold, yellow, shiny yellow, shiny jewel normal, and the one I have absolutely no clue of, that brown Chao shown in the picture. Not sure if it's clear, but it seems to also have green highlights and I really don't get how I got it...

So... What would you say is going on here?
Ok so, Crazo is right about the brown Chao. You can go to the main site's Chao Gallery and pull it up, if you want. But that's already been answered, so I'll go over how you got the others.
But before I do, Chao color genetics in a simplified form goes like this:
Each Chao has two "genes" for color, one that is visible on the Chao, and one that is hidden, and can be a totally differentvcolor than what you see on the Chao.
Each parent will give one of these to the child when bred. If my explanation doesn't make sense, Crazo probably has a better one. XD So here we go...
Yellow: The Boar Chao is a yellow two tone so it is causing there to be yellow offspring.
White: One of your Chao came from breeding a parent with a white gene and passed it on.
Gold: I believe you are mistaking a shiny brown Chao for Gold here. If either of those two parents had a true Gold gene, they would be Shiny Jewel Chao themselves, and they are not.
Shiny Jewel Normal: These are actually Shiny white two tones. They look just like normal chao when they are born, but if you pet it with a Dark character, you will see that it's hands are white rather than red.

Hope that helps you understand what's happening with your newly rediscovered Chao! :herosway:
Magikarpador
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by Magikarpador »

Thank you guys so much, I certainly have a much better understanding of what's going on. Heh, can't believe I was mistaking a Shiny Brown for a Gold Chao this whole time. And I went ahead and spam petted the shiny Two Tone Chao and yes, its arms are white.

I'm still a bit confused as to how two tone Chao work. As in, despite it being two tones, it's referred to by just one color, as in Shiny Two Tone Yellow. So does this mean every Two Tone Chao is only based on one color and never a combination and that any other colors that may appear just depends on base color alignment and evolution?
Arctic
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: trans rights

Post by Arctic »

You're very welcome!
And yes, two tone Chao are always only based on one color, they will never mix.
All other colors are just accents and have no meaning for what the Chao's base color is or what it will produce while breeding. Glad to help! :D
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

I will note that essentially how a Two-Tone Chao works is that if you look at a Normal Chao, imagine looking at it through a Colored Filter. That is ROUGHLY what is likely to happen. Sometimes a Two-Tone Color Chao will be more limited in terms of colors, but this is generally what happens.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui