Some questions about the Chao Garden on Dreamcast

Post here if you want help with Chao raising/breeding, or if you are a kind person that likes to help other people!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Pokechamp
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao
Motto: Hello! I'm Pokechamp! Just call me Poke!

Some questions about the Chao Garden on Dreamcast

Post by Pokechamp »

Okay, so I've been having some questions about the Dreamcast Chao Gardens. I'm thinking of buying a Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, and I was wondering about these couple things.
1. Do Bronze, Copper, and Onyx Chao actually exist in SA1? I can't seem to find any proof of their existence, and It's been bugging me a lot.
2. Can you still get the Chao from the Black Market in SA2? I mean, I can't seem to find an internet adapter for Dreamcast anywhere, so knowing that it's still up is great.
3. Do you basically have limited chao options other than regular, gold, silver, and black in SA1 and even less options in SA2 without the Black Market? I know you can mate them for more, but I would like to know if those were the only color options.
Anyway, any help with these questions would be appreciated!
:surprise:
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Re: Some questions about the Chao Garden on Dreamcast

Post by Crazo3077 »

I can answer all of these questions all together.

On Dreamcast, SA1 uses its own unique system, and SA2 uses essentially the same system as the Gamecube and later versions. On every version of SA1, you can obtain a Gold Chao, a Silver Chao, and a Black Chao, but on Dreamcast the Black Chao is a Two-Tone Black Chao. When you breed this Black Chao with Gold Chao you get a Copper Chao, and when you breed this Black Chao with a Silver Chao you get an Onyx Chao. This happens exclusively on SA1 for Dreamcast, and when transferred to SA2, the Copper Chao becomes a Gold Chao and the Onyx Chao becomes a Silver Chao.

To clarify some potentially confusing details, when transferring the Gold Chao, Silver Chao, or Black Chao from SA1 to SA2, they may not appear correctly colored. This is a glitch that is solved once the Chao reincarnates, but you can also get around it simply by breeding these SA1 Chao with any other Chao. They still carry the genes, even if they're not showing it. And, "Bronze" is just another name for "Copper". There are no official names, but I prefer Copper because then in notation it can be C instead of making Black BL and Bronze BR.

While you could shell out a lot of money for an Ethernet adapter for a Dreamcast, the Black Market doesn't work anymore. The data is essentially lost. I do have a link to the Chao Editor website where they have files for downloading SA1 Jewel Chaos Chao, but I'm not sure if SA1 Chaos Chao can breed, and you'd have to find one of many homebrew ways of getting the file to your Dreamcast.

http://www.deco.franken.de/myfiles/chao.html

You definitely will be limited because there is no Black Market. While SA1 has four other Jewel Chao in the code, there is no natural way of obtaining them. SA2 has the same coding as the Gamecube and later versions, so through hacking you could obtain Color Chao for sure, but you would need to be able to find an appropriate code editor. The site I linked to hosts the Chao Editor VMU games, but no one I know has gotten them to work recently, so I'm not sure how reliable they are.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
Pokechamp
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by Pokechamp »

Thanks for the answers. I really appreciate it!
FishMittens
Egg
Egg

Post by FishMittens »

Crazo3077 wrote:I can answer all of these questions all together.

On Dreamcast, SA1 uses its own unique system, and SA2 uses essentially the same system as the Gamecube and later versions. On every version of SA1, you can obtain a Gold Chao, a Silver Chao, and a Black Chao, but on Dreamcast the Black Chao is a Two-Tone Black Chao. When you breed this Black Chao with Gold Chao you get a Copper Chao, and when you breed this Black Chao with a Silver Chao you get an Onyx Chao. This happens exclusively on SA1 for Dreamcast, and when transferred to SA2, the Copper Chao becomes a Gold Chao and the Onyx Chao becomes a Silver Chao.

To clarify some potentially confusing details, when transferring the Gold Chao, Silver Chao, or Black Chao from SA1 to SA2, they may not appear correctly colored. This is a glitch that is solved once the Chao reincarnates, but you can also get around it simply by breeding these SA1 Chao with any other Chao. They still carry the genes, even if they're not showing it. And, "Bronze" is just another name for "Copper". There are no official names, but I prefer Copper because then in notation it can be C instead of making Black BL and Bronze BR.

While you could shell out a lot of money for an Ethernet adapter for a Dreamcast, the Black Market doesn't work anymore. The data is essentially lost. I do have a link to the Chao Editor website where they have files for downloading SA1 Jewel Chaos Chao, but I'm not sure if SA1 Chaos Chao can breed, and you'd have to find one of many homebrew ways of getting the file to your Dreamcast.

http://www.deco.franken.de/myfiles/chao.html

You definitely will be limited because there is no Black Market. While SA1 has four other Jewel Chao in the code, there is no natural way of obtaining them. SA2 has the same coding as the Gamecube and later versions, so through hacking you could obtain Color Chao for sure, but you would need to be able to find an appropriate code editor. The site I linked to hosts the Chao Editor VMU games, but no one I know has gotten them to work recently, so I'm not sure how reliable they are.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.
Wow. Terrific run down! This will come in very helpful for me, too. I have a question that I came to the forums to ask and it sounds like you may have an answer for me. When breeding and raising Chao on the Xbox 360 version of both SA1 and 2, does the Sonic Adventure Director's Cut guide cover me? And is the SA2 Battle guide covering me too? Thanks!
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Crazo3077 »

The Post-Gamecube ports of the Sonic Adventure titles come with some loss, actually. Though that loss is primarily over breeding.

From my experience with the 360 version of SA1, whether you call it DX or not, the breeding attempted to bring back the Dreamcast breeding mechanisms, but included absolutely no cross-breeds. This means that while you can obtain the Gold Chao, the Silver Chao, the Black Chao, and many Chao from the Black Market, no matter how you breed them, the result will always be Parent A or Parent B. This means that all of the special Two-Tone Chao are inaccessible through normal gameplay. I'm unsure if Shininess crosses, because I haven't played enough of my SA1-360 file to unlock Shiny White Chao, but I would imagine it doesn't.

As for SA2 on 360, I haven't had much of a chance to test it out. I forget if breeding is broken or not, but I do know that the issue called "Bright Chao" should be present. This is when Shiny Two-Tone Chao have weird lighting. I assume this occurred naturally, so breeding is probably normal in SA2 on 360.

Feel free to ask more questions if anything seems unclear.
Pokechamp
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by Pokechamp »

I heard of a way to get the chao editor files to the VMU. (I don't have a dreamcast yet, though) and I have 3 more questions.
1. Were the Dreamcast gardens for sa2 really miles better than the ones for Sonic Adventure 2 Battle?
2. If I did get the chao editor, I know I could get more types of chao, but what else can the chao editor do? (Don't really care if you have an answer to this one or not)
3. Was there no Chao Karate in the Dreamcast Version? Because, if there wasn't, How would you get the other 4 emblems? Or was there only 176 emblems in the dreamcast version?
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Crazo3077 »

The Dreamcast versions of the SA2 gardens are more interesting, but not better. A key example I give about the Dreamcast gardens in general is that on SA1, the Egg Carrier water doesn't have a neck-high bottom. Your Chao can swim down and essentially be trapped in the water until it finds its way back to shore. The SA2 gardens on Dreamcast have a similar issue with not being carefully tested. You'll find a river and a bridge in the Hero Garden, and a hill in the Dark Garden, but again, the difference is that they're interesting, but not necessarily better for taking care of Chao.

I don't have any personal experience with the Chao Editor. I know it can change the color and body of the Chao, but I do not know the limitations.

No idea about the emblem count, but yeah no Chao Karate in the Dreamcast version. The karate game kind of exists in the Chao Adventure games, but it is much more skill based.