Question about ring farming (SA2B)

Post here if you want help with Chao raising/breeding, or if you are a kind person that likes to help other people!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 6 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
SetScript
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: Uh, I exist I guess.

Question about ring farming (SA2B)

Post by SetScript »

Which stage in SA2B would be best for ring farming,
I find that City Escape works well but is there a better stage?
:herosurprise:
You can just call me Script I guess.

Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Re: Question about ring farming (SA2B)

Post by Mamkute »

I don't know about optimization, but I do like some variety in my ring farming.
Metal Harbor is 150 ish rings in 2 minutes, City Escape is 250+ in 4 minutes or so, and those are my go to. 100 ring missions on those two stages are also about 100 rings in 1-2 minutes.
I think those are the best, since Shadow levels are longer in general, and Shooting and Searching are definitely slower in general/you get less rings.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Depends on what you're willing to do, and what you might count as cheating or just too much of a hassle.
  • In the most "wholesome" way, yes City Escape is the best. If you do it right, you can actually get around 380-400 rings.
    Alternatively, even though it has less rings (and the ring balloons give random amounts too I think), it doesn't have any enemies, so Route 101 also works in case you're worried about that.
    And I guess there's Metal Harbor too. I never tried that.
  • Then there's the Shadow vs Sonic Boss fight at the end of the Dark story (Which is the one that can be selected at any time after finishing the Dark story.)

It's potentially dangerous because well, it's the final boss of the story, but there's constant rings that you can light dash and easily get up to 700+ rings.
    But Sonic can teleport in front of you right after light dashing (or you might hit him if you dash after him appearing the the middle of the road) and remove all of your rings.

You have to beat Sonic without getting hit and falling off the stage. After that you have to watch the unskippable (and long) credits.
    I think the game saves before them, so you can probably turn off the game/press reset after winning. I'm too lazy to check if it does though
    (it should have a "Now Saving" thing in the right corner if it does).
  • Then there's the Black Market glitch. The objective is to get the highest priced item you can get from the Black Market, and sell it back and reset the game and get the rings and your item back
    and if possible get a more expensive item to do the glitch with. Here: have this video from 2008 that was probably made with Windows Movie Maker. If it worked then it'll work now.

There's a slightly different glitch for the 2012 re-releases that I don't happen to know. And I don't know what the Dreamcast version does either.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

You could also look at your times for 100 ring missions and cycle through the courses you have the best times on. You might even come accross a level or two you're particularly good at that people usually don't consider for this purpose.
SetScript
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: Uh, I exist I guess.

Post by SetScript »

Thank you! :herosway:
You can just call me Script I guess.

RupertTheLegend
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by RupertTheLegend »

I like to do city escape as it's the easiest, and pick the find the chao mission, you run through the stage like normal and in roughly 10-12 minutes you'll get 999 rings then just get the chao.
Pratzelwurm
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: I'm a cool kitty cat

Post by Pratzelwurm »

I typically use Green Forest, due to the one part where you jump upwards on a bunch of platforms with a lot of rings really easily. If I do well I usually get about 300 if I'm remembering correctly [it's been awhile], and at worst I snag about a hundred.

It's definitely easiest to use the Sonic / Shadow stages; I suppose Green Forest has just given me the most luck.
RupertTheLegend wrote:I like to do city escape as it's the easiest, and pick the find the chao mission, you run through the stage like normal and in roughly 10-12 minutes you'll get 999 rings then just get the chao.
It actually hasn't occurred to me to use the chao missions for ring farming purpose, but in retrospect that makes a lot of sense.
25↑ | he/him | simultaneously dead and alive until observed

:herocool: