Some queries about Chao raising? (Sonic Adventure 1 for Dreamcast)

Post here if you want help with Chao raising/breeding, or if you are a kind person that likes to help other people!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 3 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
VOLTAG3
Egg
Egg

Some queries about Chao raising? (Sonic Adventure 1 for Dreamcast)

Post by VOLTAG3 »

So I had some questions about the Chao raising stuff in the original SA1 for Dreamcast which I couldn't find on Chao Island or elsewhere. There's uh, a lot of them so sorry if I end up using a lot of your time.

1) Chaos Chao - Variations

In SA1, does a Chaos Chao only have one specific look or does it depend on the Chao you raise. Like for example if I got the gold Chao egg and raised it to become a Chaos Chao, would it just look like a regular Chaos Chao or would the Chaos Chao be gold?

2) Chaos Chao - Feeding

When the Chao Island page says you have to feed one of each animal, do they mean each animal type or literally every animal you can find in the game. I think It's all of them but I'll ask to be safe.

3) Variants - Sapphire, Ruby and Emerald Chao

I understand you can also get Chao to breed certain egg types like Amethyst, Onyx and Topaz, but they also mention on Chao Island the Sapphire, Ruby, and Emerald Chao but apparently according to the site they're unobtainable through legitimate means. Is this confirmed to be true? I would've thought every combination would have been tried by now, or that people would have dug through the data and found out that way for themselves. If it is true, why? Was it something to do with the Dreamcast online function? If so I hear that the SA Dreamcast online stuff has been restored through DreamPi, maybe I can get the Chao in some way from there, but It's only a theory, I don't know if the whole place is intact to It's fullest.

4) Death - Chao Death Time

Just curious, I'm asking for the sake of preparation to make a Chaos Chao, how long does it take for one to die that's really happy? Also do Chao die quicker if they aren't happy? One of my Chao straight up vanished, I've seen Chao death videos before and thought they were supposed to make a jingle sound when a Chao died, I heard nothing of the sort and wasn't there to see it. There was no egg left behind so it was the one I was neglecting probably.

5) VMU Breeding - Chao Types

Self explanatory really, how many Chao, and Chao of what kind will I need in order to get every possible Chao color exclusive to the VMU breeding. Oh, also, can Chao only breed once each or multiple times? Just worried because of the chance rates of getting the right egg.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Some queries about Chao raising? (Sonic Adventure 1 for Dreamcast)

Post by chaoadventures »

I only was able to spend a limited about of time with SA1DC, and more time observing discussions on it so here's what I can answer to the best of my ability:

2) Most likely one of every individual animal. As in all 15 of them. If anything it probably wouldn't hurt.

3) Right, so as it says there currently aren't any legitimate ways to get RSE chao. The revival of the official SA1 site (here) seems to have most of its functions up and running.

Most notably however, the Black Market page seems to deny entry outright, implying that the feature hasn't been reimplemented.
Chao are definitely the least hacked and preserved part of the adventure games, especially the further you go back to the Dreamcast ones, so it's likely that we simply don't have the official data anymore or
anyway to replicate or even verify the data, as it stands.

Unfortunately, the resident chao editor (made back in the time the games were actually active) only edits the appearance of a chao but not the genes, so even illegitimate methods won't work.

5)The chao that you can breed with are limited to:

- The basic "normal" chao

- The gold chao from Station Square

- The silver chao from Mystic Ruins

- The black chao from the Egg Carrier

(have no idea about how the online black market chao come into play)

Chao can breed multiple times.

The known combinations of results from those are here.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

To clarify what I can (although my knowledge of SA1 on Dreamcast is just what I recall hearing from others.)

1) I am pretty sure chaos chao should be the color they were raised from (like, you can get a gold chaos chao.) Apparently chaos chao are slightly transparent in all colors, too. I know SA1 chaos chao are weird, and don't close their eyes or display emotions on their ball. So there are definitely some oddities about them.

2) All 15 animals.

3) The Sapphire, Ruby, and Emerald chao are from the black market, and thus not obtainable now. chaoadventures covered those details better.

4) Chao have an HP stat that when it reaches 0 will cause it to die, outside of age related death, that could have been the cause of the mystery death (maybe?) I don't recall and can't find anything about lifespan.

5) chaoadventures covered the possible results well.

Here is a recent post about some aspects of SA1 chao raising which may interest you (and was where I was pulling some of my information.)
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=48580
UltimaNumber
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Motto: I'm just a number

Post by UltimaNumber »

I'm starting to get really surprised now that people are now very interested in the Dreamcast SA1 Chao system! I think I really should get to doing videos regarding that as soon as I can! We can all learn together!
Always happy to see Number and his 12 daughters and 6 sons.

My YouTube stuffs
VOLTAG3
Egg
Egg

Post by VOLTAG3 »

Hey guys! Thanks for all your help and all that, It's been super great and is useful information. So, just a follow up question updating from my previous one, I'm having difficulties actually breeding a Chaos Chao in the game. I've been trying, and since I've been having to spend time unlocking and progressing into levels through the game, wandering from hub to hub to stage trying to get as many animals as I could, unfortunately, my Chao evolved before I could get them all the animals. I'm not even sure how this is possible, I thought time for Chao didn't move when you weren't in the garden. But there it was in It's cocoon, right when I got in. Does anyone know the fastest possible way to get every animal to the Chao before it hits evolving time?

UPDATE: So after some careful thinking I ended up deleting my SA1 save, because I was getting fed up waiting for my Chao to die and figured I could just start anew, maybe I'd have to go through a couple more life cycles granted, but it was honestly really infuriating me to the point where I just wanted a blank slate. It also doesn't help that I'm probably gonna run into issues getting the Chaos Chao again next time, that I have to play through the entirety of SA1 again (don't get me wrong, I love this game, but having played through it so so many times before on my Xbox before I got my Dreamcast has made me grown slightly weary of it sometimes, especially when I'm replaying it mere days after I started on Dreamcast) and that I'm gonna have to wait several days to get through the life cycles, go on a wild goose chase for the animals, and then use Chao Adventure all the time to try and max out my stats. I'm really starting to wonder if getting this Chao is worth all the effort I'm putting into it... It doesn't help my Dreamcast is restarting on It's own either...
UltimaNumber
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Motto: I'm just a number

Post by UltimaNumber »

Chao aging goes really fast in the game, especially when giving your Chao Small Animals or any Fruit. Chao will grow really fast when given Small Animals or Fruit, and thus will evolve at an extremely faster rate.

Read my post on this topic for just how fast Chao can evolve (At least the one I tested): viewtopic.php?f=32&t=48580

I can only assume Small Animals do the same thing, since I did give my Chao a lot of animals, but no coconuts (or if I did, it was only 1), and it evolved before I could give it 32 of them.
Always happy to see Number and his 12 daughters and 6 sons.

My YouTube stuffs
azureprism
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: without memes i will die

Post by azureprism »

If you want to be safe, it might be a good idea to just go into the garden, give the Chao the animals and then leave immediately after. Also, because of issues that the Mystic Ruins garden and Egg Carrier gardens have with Chao placement and differences in boundaries for player characters and other entities respectively, you should probably try use the Station Square garden for any Chao you want to turn Chaos.

Due to the way evolution sliders work, I can't recommend using a Chao that did not evolve into a normal-type in its previous life as it will be influenced towards that stat again when it reincarnates and it needs to be aligned normal to go Chaos just like in the newer games.