My big Steam f**k up

Post here if you want help with Chao raising/breeding, or if you are a kind person that likes to help other people!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 1 month old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
naruto_chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

My big Steam f**k up

Post by naruto_chao »

Hi, I wouldn't say I've returned, but I need professional chao help, and what better place to go (if anyone is even still here, I don't know, I haven't been here. Hopefully it's still a pretty big forum.

Well, this year has been particularly difficult for me, a lot of things went horribly and I needed a pick-me-up.

So I picked SA2 back up on Steam. It ran wonderfully, and I could mod it with whatever I could find, it was great. I added mods that changed the character models to be a little higher res (if I remember right.) I removed LoD models, all sorts of stuff.

The thing is, about a month ago, my neutral chao garden stopped working. I can get into the lobby, hero, dark, and kindergarden fine enough, but the default garden hangs on a black screen for about 10 seconds, then crashes. I can't find out why, and around the time it started, I hadn't added or removed anything, and my computer ran it perfectly fine before.

I don't know where I would find an Sa2 crash report either..

I kinda miss Sa2, so the faster I can get help with this, the more I'd appreciate your expertise.
hey there! I don't have anything to put here for the moment, you can just move along now.
Chao Professor
Motto: It's thinking...

Re: My big Steam f**k up

Post by Chao Professor »

Happy new year

This is strange. I'd use Fusion's editor to export the data of chao you want to keep, then try the 'ol uninstall-reinstall. It's a pain, but since you say this problem isn't due to a mod or anything, I don't know what else it could be. I can't say I've heard of this issue. Perhaps somebody more experienced with the PC version can suggest something better.
Image It's still thinking...
azureprism
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: without memes i will die

Post by azureprism »

Does the game crash in the garden even when it's running without mods?

On that note, is installing or uninstalling mods as easy for SA2PC as it is for SADXPC - being able to just turn them on or off with a modloader or something?
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Yeah, it's just uninstalling them with SA2ModLoader. (Unless the some a mod relies on file swapping and was decided by the user to be placed in the game's actual resources directory)

I've had some problems with doing that for Chao World Extended because it alters the .exe as well, but it's been minimal as far as I remember.

So, collectively, I'd try uninstalling SA2ModLoader (from the loader itself, of course), then if that doesn't work, what Chao Professor said and to uninstall the game itself.

From personal experience, uninstalling through Steam keeps your Chao files (and also your main game save) intact, but I'd just play it safe.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
naruto_chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by naruto_chao »

Yeah, It even crashes without the mods, and I'll try uninstalling all the things from the loader and see how that goes. I'll be back to tell you how it went.

[EDIT] I ended up uninstalling the loader, gutting the mods and putting them on my desktop, and deleting everything else in the Sa2 main folder. Unfortunately, I forgot to back up the save data or chao data (I thought I did earlier), but with Fusion's Chao Editor I can get those back (or I might start over, who knows.) I got back into the neutral garden just fine, but I'm still hesitant to put the mods back because I'm not sure what broke it in the first place, but now I suppose I have an excuse to methodically go through installing each one again to find out what broke it. I don't have a whole lot left to lose from breaking it again, and if I can figure it out, maybe I can help someone in the future if they ever have this issue. Thanks everyone ^^ I knew I could count on you :chaohappy:

[EDIT 2] I keep crashing, not necessarily at the same spot, but through playing the story, and with a character selection mod, I'm sure I have my culprit, and it should work fine without it. That said, everything works pretty well for the most part.
hey there! I don't have anything to put here for the moment, you can just move along now.
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Post by Mooncow »

It was good to see you back, I remember you made a really good story i liked :darksurprise:
When you come back again I think you will find some changes to the website!
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.