dark/fly chao second evolution problem

Post here if you want help with Chao raising/breeding, or if you are a kind person that likes to help other people!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 1 week old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
immaterialgirl
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: what's normal for the lion is shocking for the mouse

dark/fly chao second evolution problem

Post by immaterialgirl »

so on my previous post I just found out about the whole truth of how the second evolution works. Now that I know how it works, I managed to get a shadow chao (i remember asking another sonic forum saying how I couldn't get a shadow chao and that no matter what, it couldn't get red...until now).
However, I now have another problem. Thing is I have a dark fly chao who i want it to be a satan chao so first im giving it tons of fly and power so when I see the fly+power appearance, I will balance the fly with swim animals to get my satan chao. Ive been giving it SO many power and fly animals and no matter what, my dark fly chao won't look like this:

my dark fly chao is in the hero garden at the moment but most of the her time was spent on the dark garden. I've heard that the dark garden's magnitude is very low. is that the reason why my dark fly chao won't evolve into her second evolution? Also her age is 4

for further evidence on this theory, I have a hero normal chao who is 4 but has reached into its second evolution form which is this one:

this chao has been on the regular chao garden for some time but then I moved it to hero garden awhile ago.

my question is there anyway for my dark fly chao to reach its full second evolution before it dies?
UltimaNumber
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Motto: I'm just a number

Re: dark/fly chao second evolution problem

Post by UltimaNumber »

Feed your Chao a bunch. This is the only other way for magnitude to raise. Even if your Chao won't want to eat, keep feeding it. All fruit raise magnitude the same amount, no matter where you feed them.

If you still have problems, try turning your Chao into something else to see if it looks like that, then turn it back to what you want it to be.
Always happy to see Number and his 12 daughters and 6 sons.

My YouTube stuffs
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

As you kind of guessed, the problem is just a matter of getting the evolution strength value high enough for the appearance change to really start becoming apparent. You did the right thing moving it to Hero Garden (where the rumors you had heard are correct, Dark Garden increases evolution strength for adult Chao by no additional amount, while Hero Garden gives double the amount that the neutral Chao Garden does.)

And as said by UltimaNumber, feeding is the other main thing for you to do.

Off hand, I would guess your Chao should get pretty close to full evolution strength (if not full, pretty close.)
immaterialgirl
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: what's normal for the lion is shocking for the mouse

Post by immaterialgirl »

You guys were right, after a little waiting and the chao itself would eat alot already (haha). I also balanced the swim and fly and my chao finally became a satan chao. It only lasted for about an hour and half though :cry: it JUST reincarnated as I'm typing this (i knew i heard the chao bubble sound but i shrugged it off...then i noticed my satan chao was lost until I found its egg (cries))
Either way I did get my satan chao so...Awesome! thanks :)
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

Definitely the sad part of second evolution (especially for those of us who like having Chao in Dark Garden, like me) is how it ends so quickly. The discovery that Hero Garden speeds up gradual evolution definitely made me use Hero Garden a lot more, for the Chao I really want to do fun second evo things with.
azureprism
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: without memes i will die

Post by azureprism »

The differences in SA2B's Gamecube and PC releases mean that I can never get the true win/win scenario I want to have. While there might be a way to alter the rate at which certain gardens increase a Chao's magnitude on the PC version, doing such a thing for the Gamecube version would be so hard it wouldn't be funny. Altering the game itself is one thing, but making a disc for it is another and I lack the means to do either of those things. I want to keep my Dark Garden Chao in the Dark Garden, but they'll never see the end of their second evolutions in their lifetimes if they stay there - even with being shovelled with so much food that their stamina is in the nineties by the time they die and reincarnate.

On the other hand, the PC version lacks things like a means to get jewel Chao on vanilla (along with all of the other cool things associated with the Tiny Chao Garden and GBA connectivity), the game's screwed-up porting job provides a number of textural glitches like the scenery texture fruit and the bright textures thing with shiny twotones, and there's other things like the weird way trees grow that bother me too.

Oh yeah, and I'm a little too fond of abusing the reset button glitch with selling things at the Black Market, courtesy of an onyx eggshell. I have no clue if the multistructural saves on the PC version work the same way as the Gamecube version.

I honestly have no clue if the differences in magnitude gain between gardens in SA2 is a horribly thought out feature or just an unfortunate bug. One thing I want to know is if it would theoretically be possible for a child Chao residing in the Dark Garden to never evolve into an adult provided they never ate - do they naturally gain magnitude over time and if so at what rate, or are they affected like adult Chao?
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

Child chao gain the same amount of evolution strength in all gardens.

Only adult chao experience the different rates of growth.

I think it was intentional, as a subtle kind of way of having control over how much second evolution. Maybe not, though, since it takes a lot of anecdotes and eventual looking through game data to finally confirm that Dark Garden does not get second evolution as far. Bug seems weird for it, though.