How to use the Role-Playing forum. (Updated 11/5)

A forum for role-playing (RP) and other interactive story topics that require a lot of posts.
Chao Points and post counting are disabled in this forum.
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
moonsoul
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: How to cure an obsession: Get a new one

How to use the Role-Playing forum. (Updated 11/5)

Post by moonsoul »

What is role-playing? Role-playing is an interactive story between players. You may have a character called Sally and your friend has a character called Jeff. They go to highschool together and they have to fight through the everyday pains of school and chores at their homes. That would be an example of a role-play.

The normal rules for chao island apply here as well. No swearing, don't go off on how you hate role-plays, don't double post (there's an edit button that works just as well here if you forget to add something), and don't spam up this section with pointless posts.

I'm also providing a few guidelines to this section. There's been a lot of spam already going on here and I feel these guidelines would help distinguish the spam from the actual role-plays going on.

1. Use proper grammar and spelling. Please! There's a lot of chat speak going around this section. Writing properly can help prevent people from misunderstanding your posts. Would you rather role-play with someone who typed like this:

sally w3nt 2 da stor n scr3am3d whe she saw da bear...........2 bad fo her t waz jus plastik...lol

Or like this:

Sally went to the store and screamed when she saw the bear. Too bad for her it was just plastic.

2. Be clear on what you want the role-play about. Please don't be vague. If you want there to be a certain theme to be played out be specific. If you want there to be rules list them all in your first post. If you just say you want to role-play about pokémon and add nothing else, the next poster might come along and put it in a setting you're uncomfortable with.

3. Respect other role-players. If they don't want their character killed, you can't force them to die. If the topic creator has rules you don't want follow, you're free to express your opinion but cannot choose to ignore the rule.

4. Make out of character and in character talk easy to tell apart. Self explanatory but I will provide an example.
I bit my lips as anxiety filled my body. My hands shook as the dark figure approached me,

"Just...just who are you?!" I asked in a worried and fearful tone

(OOC: Is he walking in a way that'd make some people suspicious? They can detect threatening body language but you weren't clear in your last post. I'm only having them respond that way since the odd, dark clothing point to them being somewhat of a threat. Could you let me know since my character would be able to tell?)
5. Have a plot. If you don't provide others with some kind of idea on what the role-play is about, the topic is confusing and pointless. There are multiple RPs about Digimon, Pokémon, Chao, etc. so having a plot makes it clear on what separates yours from another one. The plot explanation doesn't have to be the length of a novel, just enough to let people know what it's about.

That's it for now. If I think of something new to add you'll be sure to see these guidelines updated.
Vampires smell good.
tailschao123
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by tailschao123 »

Okay. Ill remember.
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!

Post by Flame »

OK!!!
Rocky.ChaosChao
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Location: Dreamland, using the Star Rod and Chaos Emeralds to slay Arceus, the most stupid pokemon of all time

Post by Rocky.ChaosChao »

i learned a different way of rping...like u have to have a form explaining ure character and stuff...
Mikasa
Ascended Chaos Chao
Ascended Chaos Chao
Motto: Trash

Post by Mikasa »

Ok :chaohappy: i dont like peopel sayin they hate this rp and stuff i rlly dont liek it ;-; :cry:
- Signature removed due to expired images.
pickachu553
Ultimate Chaos Chao
Ultimate Chaos Chao

Post by pickachu553 »

I'd rather beat myself senseless than continue to host this post.
Last edited by pickachu553 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NiGHTMAre
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by NiGHTMAre »

i never doubble post :omochao: :chaohappy: :darkhappy: :omochao:
I always have the awnsers! :omochao:
Enzo03
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao
Motto: Resident forum dinosaur.

Roleplay Theory, or something...

Post by Enzo03 »

I would prefer if there were more serious roleplays, like in the GameFAQs.com roleplay forums, where said roleplays have nice, big stories that make you feel like you are already part of the world you may consider roleplaying in...

The reason I do not roleplay here is because I do not have time to write something up like that (well, I do, but I'd rather do other things ATM), AND the current roleplays just seem something like this:

ok im (insert some unoriginal, brand-name character with maybe a few differences here and there... here.)

i got (some grocery-list style listing of "stats" in the form of numbers)

(lack of description of roleplay here)
ok lets fight
=/ Alas, I'm kind of turned off by this forum section.

EDIT: OK HERE IS A REAL EXAMPLE:
ShoalTheHedgehog wrote:Yo everyone!!!well anyway u can be ur own character and do what ever u want(As long as its legal)lol well i shall be my trio(never said u cant have multiple characters) I Will be Shoal, Aqua, And Drone!
I might want to complain over in that topic, too, but here is what I am curious about:

What is the plot? Is this just a sandbox of whatever? That's not really "role play" as there are no roles.
What is the setting? Anywhere? Since when do story-type games have no setting? Since when do stories themselves have no setting?
What exactly are "Shoal, Aqua, and Drone"??? I have no idea who or what they could possibly be (excepting the fact that this guy's username says "ShoalTheHedgehog", but something like this should be covered in a description.)

And about character descriptions, most good ones are about 2 posts long in the GameFAQs forums. Few get by with one post unless they are insanely good (or if the character is supposed to find out about themself throughout their roleplay, something like that. It takes some magic D:). Bad ones are the ones that cannot seem to get larger than this post here, or are the ones that end up SEVERAL POSTS LONG (like I did once :D :D). While it's really not quantity that matters, it still needs to be a sort of mini-story. That is ideal to me.

Stories for the roleplay itself should be able to describe almost everything that could possibly happen, so that participants would know the setting, the plot, the technological level of the setting (e.g. are they still smacking each other with huge clubs made of wood and living in caves? Are they medieval and have huge castles and knights and possibly mythical creatures like dragons, and run off the feudal system? Or is it modern? OR is it far into the future in terms of technology??), etc. One should be able to imagine themself in a world made up by someone else.

Lastly,
PLAGIARISM SUCKS
Be more original.
Steam: crazyenzo03 - Discord: Enzo03 #2547
pickachu553
Ultimate Chaos Chao
Ultimate Chaos Chao

Post by pickachu553 »

Enzo03 wrote:PLAGIARISM SUCKS
Yeah, Halo RP? Chao RP? Sonic RP? NARUTO RP? What the heck! And fusion of custom and real characters really screws up those RPs. Another things, THINK OF STORIES People! You have to have a good story (Mine can use a bit of work itself) to attract actual and freebie RPers. How about creating a topic for a RPing school thing? Like so people can learn to RP correctly.
Edit:No offense, but this is the worst RP yet.
Bish wrote:you can like do what you want really pretend to be your chao or your made up character or whatever just a little fun thing really.

oh and btw i dont wana seem like a @$s but i dont wana any like WELL MY CHARACTER IS THE LONG LOST BROTHER OF SONIC and stuff like that or MY GUY CAN SHOOT FIRE WITH HIS EYES AND IS MAGIC and stuff like that y'know just like have a little laugh pretend to be whatever you wanted as long as it like kinda relates to chao XD
Last edited by pickachu553 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SuperAnthony
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by SuperAnthony »

Yea i agree pickachu. Most RPs are just random stuff! The ones that actually have a story line to it are yours and bloods adventure.
Rocky.ChaosChao
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Location: Dreamland, using the Star Rod and Chaos Emeralds to slay Arceus, the most stupid pokemon of all time

Post by Rocky.ChaosChao »

THANK YOU ENZO! most of the rps on this site suck, since people are too lazy to make a serious plot. they should also make character forms.

Examlpe of a character form

Name:
Personality:
Backround:

Then there would be stuff specificly. For example, if there was a war rp, then there would be a slot saying "Favorite Weapon" or "Rank".
pickachu553
Ultimate Chaos Chao
Ultimate Chaos Chao

Post by pickachu553 »

Blood's doesn't even have a great one itself anymore, mostly because it's Zaku and Twilight's adventure.
Zaku
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by Zaku »

pickachu553 wrote:Blood's doesn't even have a great one itself anymore, mostly because it's Zaku and Twilight's adventure.
;_; whats that supposed to mean Pickachu?
pickachu553
Ultimate Chaos Chao
Ultimate Chaos Chao

Post by pickachu553 »

No offense, just, you two are the biggest people with that RP, and Nazo_Ice is never on and
has lost control of it. Pretty much that.
Zaku
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by Zaku »

ah..well yeah...i feel bad because we totaly took over his RP...and now that i think about it...we +probably ruined it...

sorry nazo_ice :darkcry:
pickachu553
Ultimate Chaos Chao
Ultimate Chaos Chao

Post by pickachu553 »

Ruin, no. Change, hell yeah.
Zaku
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by Zaku »

lol that makes me feel better ^^ ...i think :S
Wolf
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao

Post by Wolf »

pickachu553 wrote:Blood's doesn't even have a great one itself anymore, mostly because it's Zaku and Twilight's adventure.
Lol...Actually I RPed there first then Flare and Zaku came along :P
But nazo stopped RPing there so thats why
Enzo03
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao
Motto: Resident forum dinosaur.

Post by Enzo03 »

Rocky.ChaosChao wrote:THANK YOU ENZO! most of the rps on this site suck, since people are too lazy to make a serious plot. they should also make character forms.

Examlpe of a character form

Name:
Personality:
Backround:

Then there would be stuff specificly. For example, if there was a war rp, then there would be a slot saying "Favorite Weapon" or "Rank".
Hmm... well glad to see I have some support. :D
However, I would actually use a lot more info for a character form, if you know what I mean.
Maybe the character form template would have some description of what to put in it.

For example:

Name:

Age: Use an appropriate age for your character. An alien might live to only 20 years, or they may live over 500. But if it is a human, chances are they will not be what we consider "elderly".

Gender: Use male or female... the "third" gender probably wouldn't be appropriate on these forums, though, if the character is human. (you forgot this one :) )

Description: Basically, the physical description of the character - appearance. Describe their complexion (skin tone), body build (like height, weight, and whether they are simply fat, or they are muscular, or they are skin-and-bone (omg anorexic!), or average would be ok. Get descriptive, though), facial features, do they have any scars on them? What color is their hair? What kind of clothes do they usually wear? Are they missing any limbs? Do they have replacements for lost limbs? Are they cyborg, being half robotic? Etc. Go crazy with descriptions!

Personality: How do they tend to act as a person? What's their pet peeves (something that REALLY bothers them to the point of hate)? Are they greedy? humble? generous? rude? kind? abominable? Etc. Why are they that way? How does he/she talk?

Backround: This is the character's life story. This could be the most important part of the whole description. Basically, the background of a character should tell people exactly why a character has their appearance, and even MORESO their personality. For example, an evil character may have had a TERRIBLE childhood, or so may a heroic character, but then it must be known why they decided to be good, etc.
====

Usually, there's more to it than that, though.
I suggest look at the gameFAQs roleplay forums, but not starting one or joining one. Just get a nice look at some higher quality RP.

Enh, usually I would try for a more detailed help thingig, but I'm a bit tired... and bored... and hungry... and thirsty... and lonely D:
Steam: crazyenzo03 - Discord: Enzo03 #2547
SuperAnthony
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by SuperAnthony »

Wow. You guys should seriously make a critic club!! Like, I'm not kidding!!! A bunch of people would join!!!!
pickachu553
Ultimate Chaos Chao
Ultimate Chaos Chao

Post by pickachu553 »

No, but I have an Idea.
SuperAnthony
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by SuperAnthony »

And what might your idea be pickachu?...
pickachu553
Ultimate Chaos Chao
Ultimate Chaos Chao

Post by pickachu553 »

You'll see in a few minutes :wink: It should help evolve RPing on CI.
SuperAnthony
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by SuperAnthony »

Cool, I will probably join!
pickachu553
Ultimate Chaos Chao
Ultimate Chaos Chao

Post by pickachu553 »

I added it SuperAnthony, check it out!