Interested in a (mostly) serious RPG here?

A forum for role-playing (RP) and other interactive story topics that require a lot of posts.
Chao Points and post counting are disabled in this forum.
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Sun will rise tomorrow.

Interested in a (mostly) serious RPG here?

Post by Prince Ricard »

Hiya everyone: I'm creating this topic because I'm interested in managing some sort of game here on CI. For the last couple years, I've been playing Dungeons and Dragons, Pathfinder, etc with a group of my IRL friends, and I've frequently been the GM (Game Master), and found it's something I enjoy. I'd like to bring something like that to this forum -- not to the depth of a tabletop RPG like D&D of course, but something that mixes pure roleplaying with game systems to keep things flowing smoothly. I'm not exactly sure what those systems will be yet, but I am open to suggestions and teamwork. If there are people who seem interested, I'll use this topic to discuss preliminary setup and the like. For now, though: would you be interested in participating in something like this?
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: bupsting makes me feel good

Re: Interested in a (mostly) serious RPG here?

Post by Pentagrami »

actually i've been thinking about proposing a text version of d&d here on the boards, thought posting would help keep track of things on its own and it could be fun
biggest trouble in my head has been managing dice rolls and rng **** because even if you asked for screenshots how can you guarantee the person isnt re-rolling?? a huge aspect of rpgs is that failure /is/ a possibility and the only way i could think to get around this would be having the DM do all the rolls but then i fear they would be accused of cheating when the game doesn't go the way the players want it to
im jimmy pentagrami aka grami
firetruckz 2 hes bac wrote:Ghostbupsters
when will dilen come back from the war???......
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Sun will rise tomorrow.

Post by Prince Ricard »

D&D has a lot of systems that would not translate well into a forum-based game, some examples being the grid-based combat, and yes, the very frequent dice rolling. There are certainly sites that can eliminate the difficulties in playing D&D like that (I use Roll20 very frequently), but that's basically pushing the entire thing off of this site. For simplicity's sake, it would be better to have a system that eliminates some of the randomness of games like D&D (what with the oh-so-frequent skill checks, saving throws, etc...). I'm not sure yet though. The amount that probability factors into the gameplay is definitely something to consider.

On a side note, setting up a Roll20 game with people from this site could actually be kinda cool, but it'd definitely have to be organized as its own thing.
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: bupsting makes me feel good

Post by Pentagrami »

yeah i've looked into sites like roll20 because i moved away for college and wanted to have something to do with my hometown friends but yeah what i really want is something that can be done on-site and kept track of on-site

back when the chatbox was a thing and even before it was renovated we could have asked for permission to use a separate room for combat situations since dice rolls used to be integrated and afterwards the dm could take screenshots and add them to the main thread for records

i suppose that could be done in chatzy maybe but again i'd enjoy it if most of the game were to be kept on-site
im jimmy pentagrami aka grami
firetruckz 2 hes bac wrote:Ghostbupsters
when will dilen come back from the war???......
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

yeah i could be, depends on what's going on with me at the time. also depends if we actually have enough people willing to keep active

i don't think i've ever done a serious one here, but rest assured i have about ... idk 15 years of doing it
Last edited by Lamby on Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Dr. Roivas
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: urine speaks louder than words

Post by Dr. Roivas »

I'd be down for smth like this, beats doing nothing at the very least
Capitalism Killed My Once Proud Signature
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: spongebob

Post by Pumpkinium »

this sounds neat if someone could figure out how to make it work.
help me
quartzlcc
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Check out my pecs!

Post by quartzlcc »

I've tried to start a serious role-play here. I had a nice bit of one-on-one going with my sibling, and while that was fun, yes, something with four or five players would be awesome. I would love to participate.

If it's at all inspiring (for reasons of, "that's a good idea!" as well as "oh I'm not gonna do that if I run a RP"), here it is: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40380
Wrath of Kinto Q - Chao Roleplay! - Click here!