Pokemon Nickname Topic

The Pokémon board, because of popular demand! Gotta catch 'em all!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 11 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.

What kind of nicknames do you prefer?

Cute nicknames!
8%
Cool nicknames!
17%
Funny nicknames!
No votes
Random nicknames!
8%
Whatever comes to mind first.
67%
Name them after other Pokemon, trolololo
No votes

Total votes: 12

CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Pokemon Nickname Topic

Post by CitrusCat »

In this topic, we discuss Pokemon nicknames. Whether it is listing your nicknamed Pokemon, coming for nickname ideas, or even posting funny nicknames you saw on the GTS! (Nothing inappropriate though.)

Personally, I always nickname my Pokemon when given the chance to. I try to come up with cute or cool nicknames most of the time. When I receive a nicknamed Pokemon through trade, I usually keep it if the nickname is decent. I dislike pointless nicknames (I once got a Gible through Wonder Trade named 84), as well as inappropriate ones (people try to bypass the censor sometimes)... Overall, I'd say that coming up with nicknames is a pretty fun aspect of obtaining a new Pokemon. Unfortunately, though, I sometimes have to go online for help when I can't think of a name myself... ^_^'

I may list some examples of my nicknamed Pokemon in a bit.
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
Jack Augustine
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Thunder Fang! See you never.

Re: Pokemon Nickname Topic

Post by Jack Augustine »

My Luxray's nick is shown twice here, you can easily see it.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Ivogoji wrote:For me, it largely depends on the game. For my most recent play throughs I've been nicknaming every single Pokemon I get my hands on, but in past games (particularly LeafGreen and Colosseum) I've only named a handful, and usually long after I caught them. Sometimes it's just to distinguish the significant Pokemon from the insignificant, but other times I just make up names for whatever random critter I see.
I frequently give my Pokemon names from mythology and literature, particularly ones I think few other players would use. This is especially true of Pokemon on my main teams.

Emerald Team:
Sceptile- "Gawain", as in Sir Gawain, Arthur's nephew and most celebrated knight
Gardevoir- "Vanamoinen", as in Väinämöinen, a hero from the Kalevala of Finnish mythology (and yes, my Gardevoir's male)
Aggron- "Saber", as in the weapon of the same name, because he's my heaviest hitter and it sounds poetic
Beautifly- "Fionn", as in Fionn mac Cumhail, a famous hero from Irish mythology (yes, he's male too, and he still knows attract, the little heart breaker)
Swellow- "Menw", as in Menw ap Teirgwaedd, another of Arthur's knights from the earlier stratum of Welsh folklore, back when Gawain was called Gwalchmei
Lombre- "Breanne", which is just a pun based on Lombre's name, because despite having a moustache she's a girl (my poor gender confused Emerald team...)
Ninjask- "Natorisama", as in Natori Sanjūrō Masatake, a 17th century samurai and author of the Shoninki ninjutsu training manuel, one of my favorite books

FireRed Team:
Charizard- "Gaurung", as in Glaurung, the first and mightiest of dragons in Tolkien's legendarium, even though technically Charizard isn't a dragon, he IS my first Pokemon on my oldest existing save file
Raichu- "Rachel", which is merely a pun on Raichu's name, though I really like that name, and Rachel is one of the great Matriarchs in the Bible
Butterfree- "Odin", as in the king of the Norse Gods, just because it's cool
Snorlax- "Susanno", as in Susanoo, the god of the summer storm in Shinto mythology
Pidgeot- "Empress", which is just a royal sounding name because Pidgeot seems so regal
Nidoqueen- "MS. NIDO", which is actually a Pokemon I got by trading with an NPC in the game, so I never got to decide what to call her

Platinum Team:
Empoleon- "Lucas", as in the name of the male protagonist in Gen IV, so I always get a kick out of reading stuff that describes the male protagonist's actions and thinking it's talking about my Empoleon...
Staraptor- "Kirby", as in Kirby of the Stars, because.... stars:P
Luxray- "Hikari", same deal as Empoleon, plus it's an electric type too
Leafeon- "Bill", as in the inventor of the PC storage system, since his stand-in Bebe is the one who gives you Eevee
Jirachi- .... whose name is still JIRACHI, since again it's a situation where I can't rename the Pokemon
Lopunny- "Scarlett", as in the name of a fan character a player in this Sonic RP I moderated used once, the character was a rabbit and her name was based on a proposed name for Bunnie Rabbot from the Archie comics, I thought it would be a cool tribute

Others:
Regirock- "Eben"
Registeel- "Prague"
Regice- "Qerah"
Which are words relating the legend of the golem from Jewish folklore upon which the Golem trio were originally based.

Azelf- "Zelda"
Uxie- "Ganon"
Mesprit- "Link"
Because the Lake trio makes me think of the Legend of Zelda.

Rayquaza- "Ziz"
Groudon- "Behemoth"
Kyogre- "Leviathan"
Since the Weather trio so much resembles the three unrestrainable beasts of sky, land, and sea in Hebrew mythology.

Raikou- "Gold"
Entei- "Silver"
Suicune- "Crystal"
The logic here is pretty obvious.

Zapdos- "Mjolnir", as in Thor's hammer
Articuno- "Boreas", as in the god of the North Wind in Greek mythology
Moltres- .... you know, I had a Moltres once, but I can't remember what I called it...
Last edited by Ivogoji on Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jack Augustine
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Jack Augustine »

Jack Augustine wrote:
Spoiler:
My Luxray's nick is shown twice here, you can easily see it.
Spoilered the pic because I need to say...

I like to nickname my Pokemon by their element.

Electric? Sparky, Shock, Jolt, Bolt
Fire? Inferno, Blaze, Flare, Flame
Water? Wave, Splash
Ice? Glacier, Chill, Freeze
Ground? Grounder, Earthy
Rock? Rocky... You get the picture. I don't really go for the "cute" factor when naming, and it's very rare that I will take Pokemon name requests that aren't elemental and that fit the element.
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!

Post by Flame »

I nickname Pokémon due to references to other games, nine times out of ten.
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Post by ShadriaFan »

pineapple-pikachu
sparky-pikachu
applepie-butterfree
char-char -charmander
flamer-talonflame
blaze-charmander
C.C.-cyndaquil
firechick-torchic
toto-totodile
sonic-totodile
zappy-zapdos
socky-ninetails
buddy-dragonite
squirt-squirtle
darkness-absol
blasphemy-absol
flandre-crobat
batty-crobat
midnite-umbreon
shadow-umbreon
porkchop-emboar
fred-stoutland
kyubi-fenniken
pepper-piplup
num yummy-hard to find fodder (hoppip in emerald, yamna in fire red, zapdos in another run of fr)
susan nova-munchlax
omgosh!!-Aggron, Haxorus
hydra-hydregion
as you can see, most are random, and spur of the moment names. Some do have meaning, as some are named after users on this site(Blasphemy, Batty, Midnite,ect), or in tribute to animals I have had and lost over the years(Fred, Socky). And some are in reference to a friend of mine (omgosh!!, Buddy), and one is after my daddy's first run of Pokemon (C.C.). I also had a run of SS where all the pokemon were named after StH characters (Sonic, Shadow, ect), and one time I was really hungry while naming them (pineapple, applepie, porkchop, ect). num yummy has a interesting backstory. one time, me and my friend (the same that omgosh!! and buddy is attributed to) were talking about something, and we ended up talking about a Campbell's Soup commercial. in the commercial, a man was eating a bowl of travel sized Campbell's Chunky Soup at work, and was asked his name so that the company could place a sign with his name on his desk. the man replied with a 'num yummy' as he wasn't paying attention. at the end, he returned to his desk, and spotted the nametag of 'Num Yummy' and was utterly confused at who Num Yummy was. We found it funny and since then we've been naming hard to find fodder pokemon Num Yummy.
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
chaoross1
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: One Can Hope, Right?

Post by chaoross1 »

Well I recently got a Goomy off of the Wonder trade Named 'Gooby pls', which i admit make me smirk.

But in general i usually give my Pokémon stupid childish nicknames i guess it just stuck from the Hoenn days;

Swellow: Ace, Swift.

Aggron: Steeler.

Blaziken: Blazin'.

Manectric: Volt, Zap.

On the other hand though i relate them to general things they remind me of;

Greninja: Jiraiya

Lucario: Chibi, Goku.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

^Heheh, I named my Riolu "Yamcha"XD
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by CitrusCat »

OK, here are some examples:

Sharnut (male Chespin) - Named after a Fakemon my friend made.
Indigo (male Wartortle) - Named after a shade of dark blue.
Helios (male Helioptile) - I'm pretty sure Helios is Greek for "Sun" or something, and Helioptile evolves with the Sun Stone so... Yeah. (I haven't evolved him yet though.)
Marine (female Lapras) - Pretty obvious.
Rosa (female Spritzee) - Rosa means pink.
Lily (female Froakie) - Frogs are often associated with Lily pads, and Lily is also a girl's name.
Skidmark (male Skiddo) - The species name reminded me of this term, pretty self-explanitory.
Chester (male Pancham) - Animal Crossing reference.
Polaris (male Amaura) - Named after the North Star, Polaris.
Aurora (female Amaura) - Obvious.
Transform (Ditto) - For the sake of "Transform used Transform!"
Jelly (Ditto) - Ditto is a purple blob, reminding me of Grape Jelly.
Bub (male Azurill) - "Bubble" sounds girly so I shortened it to "Bub" instead.
Echo (male Zubat) - Echolocation. Enough said.
Tetra (female Honedge) - Named after the character Tetra from LoZ:The Wind Waker.
Master Sword (male Honedge) - More Zelda references.
Nutmeg (female Chespin) - Another type of nut, seemed to fit for a female.
Teleport (male Abra) - For the sake of "Teleport used Teleport!"
Sandy (female Sandslash) - Pretty obvious.
Saphira (female Bagon) - Reference to a Dragon in a book series that my friend has been reading. I don't know too much about it to be honest.
Celeste (female Minun) - I made a character named Celeste.
Spark (male Pachirisu) - Cute and fitting, pretty obvious.
Winter (female Snover) - Reminds me of a Christmas Tree somewhat, but covered in snow.
Bruno (male Teddiursa) - I made a bear character named Bruno.
Honey (female Teddiursa) - Pretty self-explanitory.
O'Hare (male Bunnelby) - Another Animal Crossing reference, I believe.
Bonbon (female Bunnelby) - Same as above.
What is my life anymore?
Kausa
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Kausa »

I nickname any pokemon I intend to keep or use, as well as ones I like to send out into wondertrade.
My main team is all nicknamed in various ways that don't make sense.
My Swampert is Slash (Mispelled Splash as a kid), my Dragonite is named Lu (was Lumin, which is greek for light but I shortened it), my Scrafty is Durppy, my Pyroar is named Cleo, my Ampharos is Bach, and my Sylveon is Kodama. (Which is japanese for fairy but I call him Kody for short)
If you ever need to talk, vent, or just want advice, you can always message me!
ZeroAlpha
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: ⍟ Prince Dignity ⍟

Post by ZeroAlpha »

For me, it depends on the Pokemon. Given I used to be a fairly heavy Pokemon RPer, a lot of my in-game pokemon were named after or drew inspiration from the ones I used in roleplays, and vice versa. A lot of the names I give my Pokemon are typically based around their type, design, or personality [RPs]. i.e my Psychic-types tend to have astronomical or spiritual names, and some of my Pokemon just have names based off of their story counterpart's personality, or random names I mash up/like. I used to give my Pokemon either no nicknames at all, or really cliche ones, though [Gen IV and before]. May edit a bit later with a compilation of some of the better names I've used on my in-game teams.
JHock115
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: START DA BUS!

Post by JHock115 »

My nicknames are all mostly made up. Some have references or are inside jokes.

X team(Before going competitive)
Corona(Delphox): It sounds feminine and since it was a girl, she was named this.
Toxin(Venusaur): Poison... nuff said.
Navi(Sylveon): "HEY LISTEN!" I chose this the second fairy type was announced.
Hookfang(Tyrantrum): Its a t-rex with a mouth ability.
Hock(Staraptor): Its a bird and my name is like a bird.
Caliburn(Aegislash): SONIC REFERENCE!

X Team(Currently)
Start Da Bus(Klefki): Ok... Story time.. At a band competition, our teacher screwed up and gave our bus drivers a different years schedule, so they worked too long and had to leave us and stay at a hotel because of some law. But the problem was that we had to put our stuff inside the compartments under the busses while we preformed, and they locked them and left. So no one could get them open because we didn't have the keys. So as we waited for hours while the bus slowly filled the locks with pressurized air to open the doors(the bus was hot wired on i believe), people were chanting Start the bus until the locks opened the doors. That is why Klefki is called Start Da Bus(The made the character limit to long by 1, so Da makes it 12)

Lushimokame(Greninja): I used one of those, What is your ninja name things on Froakie and the name was made from Froak.
Gegengift(Venusaur): German for antivenom, as it can't be poisoned and how its name is close to one of my favorite youtubers.
Flossi(Houndoom): German for Fluffy, a COD Zombies reference to the first hellhound, that was originally a pet for a little girl.
Kenmore(Rotom-w): Kenmore Appliances
Drop Da Bass(Noivern): It justs fits it with those big ears.

I love nicknaming, but now it can be hard with censors.
Mikasa
Ascended Chaos Chao
Ascended Chaos Chao
Motto: Trash

Post by Mikasa »

idk I come up with silly names

Excadrill - Anel Drill (I'm sure you know what I mean :^) )

Rotom wash - Clean u up (HRMMM)

Garchomp - Ryuuko (Kill la Kill :^) )

Azumarill- Many spam ( :^))))) )

I can't remember my other nicknames
- Signature removed due to expired images.
Midnite
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: ミ☆

Post by Midnite »

ZeroAlpha wrote:For me, it depends on the Pokemon. Given I used to be a fairly heavy Pokemon RPer, a lot of my in-game pokemon were named after or drew inspiration from the ones I used in roleplays, and vice versa. A lot of the names I give my Pokemon are typically based around their type, design, or personality [RPs]. i.e my Psychic-types tend to have astronomical or spiritual names, and some of my Pokemon just have names based off of their story counterpart's personality, or random names I mash up/like. I used to give my Pokemon either no nicknames at all, or really cliche ones, though [Gen IV and before]. May edit a bit later with a compilation of some of the better names I've used on my in-game teams.
Pretty much the same here, although I occasionally use random names for some of my wifi-battling Pokes (i.e. GrindMyGears the Klinklang). As for a list of some of my own...

.rawr (Tyrantum ♂)
Airelinna (Aurorus ♀)
Amethystia (Dragalge ♀)
Ophelia (Noivern ♀)
Silverlight (Noivern ♂)
Quoizel (Chandelure ♀)
expected/10 (Azumarill ♀)
GrindMyGears (Gen6 Klinklang)
Zoe'ka (Clawitzer ♀)
Ki (Carbink)
Polaris (Shiny Sylveon ♂)
Flavio (Vivillon Meadow ♂)
Wintra (Vivillon Polar ♀)
Permafrost (Vivillon Polar ♂)
Aurumite (Shiny Pyroar ♀)
AngelStep♪ ([Mega] Absol ♂)
talfonlame (Talonflame ♂)
CARAMELTON (Hawlucha ♂) -- Don't ask about this one. ;w;
Freya (Shiny Mienshao ♀)
Pain Train (Sharpedo ♂)
W.Vista (Porygon-Z)
Coffee Table (Avalugg ♂)
Giga Puddi (Goodra ♂)
Broseph ([Mega] Aerodactyl ♂)

I'm still trying to figure out a nickname for my male Scolipede. I initially named it Nightcore, but it kinda grew stale to me rather quickly. I've been considering renaming him Mana or Tabris, after the CI user.
- space for rent -
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by CitrusCat »

^
I actually like the name Nightcore, but naming him after another user is a nice thing to do. :)
What is my life anymore?
PikaChao83
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by PikaChao83 »

I always nickname my Charmander Charlie. I don't know why, but i just like the name. :herosway: :sway: :darksway:
chocohugs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: a minute of thought is worth a lifetime of effort

Post by chocohugs »

THIS TOPIC I VERY IMPORTANT TO ME!!!!! i always choose themes to name my pokes after for every game because nicknames are rly important come on

firered - elements
venusaur - beryllium
wigglytuff - cerium
dratini - neon
(unfortunately i don't remember the rest of my team and this was on an emulator on my old computer ;_;)

heartgold - omfg what was i even doing here..
togetic - sunny
croconaw - iceberg
flaaffy - sheep man
growlithe - vulpix

platinum - it's just important to note i have a nosepass named noooespass for some reason (?????)

soulsilver - i have no idea wtf i was doing here either. it's surreal to go back to these games i haven't looked at in years
typhlosion - cain
gyarados - ignus
pidgeot - blitz
ampharos - sprite
notched ear pichu - silas

white - UHHHHH I RESET THE GAME APPARENTLY???? THERE'S NOTHING HERE

black - oh god i forgot i used ci names...
mienfoo - mezzo
chandelure - poxi
swoobat - koralie
samurott - riku
scolipede - enzo
simisear - beau
tirtouga - mint

x - candy
banette - salmiakki
drifblim - toblerone
chandelure - cadbury
goodra - taffy
whiscash - juju
sylveon - butterscotch
snorunt - sno-cap
delphox - twix
scolipede - heath
xerneas - mars
blastoise - reeses
klefki - toffee
aromatisse - sugar daddy

well. thanks for going on this adventure with me. all i learned is that <14 year old me was really bad at naming things and all of my pokemon are hella jumbled up and probably lost in pokemon ranch forever. i also have no ways to play my gameboy games and i have no idea where black 2/white 2 are

but wait

THE BEST
blaziken - nunu (from ruby or sapphire)
kyogre - swimmy (sapphire)
pelipper - wingy (sapphire)
swampert - muddy (ruby)

5 year old me was fantastic
tumbl - twittr | avatar by tsui
(15:29:10) Jack_Augustine has never been hugged by a girl before
livig.
Brave Chao
Brave Chao
Motto: Shoot for the moon. If you miss, land in the stars.

Post by livig. »

My shiny male Staraptor's name is Ace. He's pretty boss. 8))
Jack Augustine
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Jack Augustine »

My female Luxray's name on X is Electris... The original.
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by CitrusCat »

Oh, guys. I just remembered. I need a nickname for my Shiny Male Ferrothorn.
What is my life anymore?
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

SPINSPINSPINSPINSPINSPINSPINSPIN obviously cut down to the character limit
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Post by ShadriaFan »

Hina-chan?!Image
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
Toram159
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by Toram159 »

I generally go with whatever comes to my mind first. Occasionally I'll try and come up with more fancy cooler sounding nicknames Like Lyzolin, or Rezai, but normally I go with average names like Maxwell or Tess. Occasionally I'll go with a theme name, or joke name, for instance my Muk, whose name I don't feel I should say here, atleast in this post. If you want to know just PM me.

I tend to not nickname Legendaries, due to already having a generally badass name already, I did however name the first couple of Legendaries I got from Diamond and Pearl, which were my first pokemon games.
Deviant Art: http://toram159.deviantart.com/
RP Repository: http://www.rprepository.com/p/Sketch444/
Steam: Toram159/Sketch444
XBL Gamer Tag: Malum159
PSN: etcha-sketch159
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Sun will rise tomorrow.

Post by Prince Ricard »

any rock or steel type is immediately named boner
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by CitrusCat »

I ended up naming it Iron Vine, which Loudclaw suggested in the Chatbox. I mean, everyone else was giving me joke nicknames... :P
What is my life anymore?