What you would like in a Pokemon game?

The Pokémon board, because of popular demand! Gotta catch 'em all!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

What you would like in a Pokemon game?

Post by ShadriaFan »

We have several topics on what we would like in a Chao game, but why not a Pokemon game? Give your personal thoughts on what you would like to see in a Pokemon game.
  • More customization.
    sure, X/Y was pretty freaking awesome with the customization of your player character, but it seemed lacking. Pokemon Battle Revolution (from 2008) had more different things you could do to your character, such as hair colors, styles, and clothes. Me being a girl, I would like make up that you could wear all the time instead of just for PR videos and maybe even jewelry/decals? Maybe even a option to make your own designs for stuff? Animal Crossing lets you design your villager's shirt (from what I've seen on EeveeFan's art topic.) Sure I get system limitations, but at least try something more? I have everything clothing wise (besides the expensive clothes from Lumiose City) and some times I don't feel that it's really deep into the customization...
  • VS Seeker return
    Another issue I have with X/Y. No VS Seeker/way to re-battle trainers. I've beaten every trainer on X/Y (as far as I know) so now the only way I can gather more money is to battle the Elite Four over and over. It gets time consuming and boring very quicky (which led me to stop playing Y for several months). And Calem doesn't give you a lot of money..
  • Music/Sound Test
    I LOVE the music from the Pokemon series, and often draw while listening to various video game music. However I'm not able to take the internet (and Youtube) with me all the time, and often times I get the desire to listen to a tune from a Pokemon game. Problem is that often the song only happens ONCE in the whole game and there is NO way to listen to it after post game. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky got this by adding in the Sky Jukebox after beating the main story. Maybe after beating the main story have a Sound Test will be in the beginning options before you start your load game, or somewhere in the PC?
What else do you guys think should be in a future Pokemon game?
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Re: What you would like in a Pokemon game?

Post by KeatonLabs »

Mega's to be removed. Yeah, i hate mega's. Atleast remove them in online battling. In the story, mega's are an easy way to get through especially if you are close to defeat and i like them there...but thats it. When i competetive battle, i dont use mega's or legends and i usually end up fighting a mega aggron that completely wrecks my team because im not prepared for such a sweeper.
Yukki
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Motto: Cupcakes are evil.

Post by Yukki »

Nonlinear storylines.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

ShadriaFan wrote: Another issue I have with X/Y. No VS Seeker/way to re-battle trainers. I've beaten every trainer on X/Y (as far as I know) so now the only way I can gather more money is to battle the Elite Four over and over. It gets time consuming and boring very quicky (which led me to stop playing Y for several months). And Calem doesn't give you a lot of money..
The 3 star restaurant gives you around 20 balm mushrooms a pop in double battles, which usually sell for 150k per batch, plus the money you get for winning the battles. Its how I got my 1.1mil and all the lumiose boutique items
KeatonLabs wrote:Mega's to be removed. Yeah, i hate mega's. Atleast remove them in online battling. In the story, mega's are an easy way to get through especially if you are close to defeat and i like them there...but thats it. When i competetive battle, i dont use mega's or legends and i usually end up fighting a mega aggron that completely wrecks my team because im not prepared for such a sweeper.
I get the joke, but I think this is supposed to be a "serious" topic.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Regarding pokemon distribution
-An end to version exclusives.
-An end to event-only mons
-An in-game character who offers services to let you evolve mons that only evolve when traded.
-Starters(from all gens) being found in the wild.
-Basically, the ability to get a legit completed Pokedex(at least as far as species is concerned) without having to interact with other players in anyway and without having to go online(I don't mind trading being the fastest route to obtaining some mons, but it shouldn't be mandatory).

Regarding in-game battles:
-Vs. Seeker does not return. Instead, every random trainer's team is fully healed everytime you cross an area boundary(though most will only challenge the player if the player has never beat them.
-More in-game opportunities for triple and rotation battles.
-A new Battle Frontier combining all the features from Crystal's Battle Tower, Emeral's Battle Frontier, PtHGSS's Frontier, and the Battle Subway(and what ever XY's counterpart to these is).

Regarding PvP Battles:
-Offering of Casual(anything goes), Tournament(sleep clause, freeze clause, species cluase, item clause, etc), and Custom rele-sets.
-Option to disable Mega Evolutions
-All the cups from the Stadium games.
-Ability to access your storage boxes and select your mons for battle instead of having to build your team ahead of time.
-Ability to register multiple pre-built teams.
-These options being displayed by default, but being able to quickly move through the defaults selections if desire(Default selections would include Causal, Prime cup, Battle with Active party)

Trading:
-Asymmetric trades
-Mass trades.
-Accesss to entire storage system when trading.

Interface:
-Pokedex, PokeGear, PokeNav, Poketch, C-Gear, etc. are all rolled into one device call a Pokemon Digital Assistance or PDA for short.
-Key items that take the form of an electronic device are reduced to PDA Apps.
-Key items that take the form of a travel pass are reduced to emblems print-Key items that take the form of travel passes or something else required for accessing restricted areas are reduced to security clearances encoded in the PDA's Passport/Trainder ID app and are displayed in said app as Emblems of a sort.
-The pack is replaced by an inventory app that acts similarly to the Item storage on the PC.
-What is left of Key Items is divided into Equipment(things like the bike and fishing rods) and artifacts(items with no purpose outside of plot devolopment.
-Hold Items are treated as a separate category from Items and are divided into subcategroies based on purpose(i.e. Mega Stones, Type boosters, Incenses, Evolution Items, Species specific boosters, to name a few).
-Items can be displayed in either list, Grid by coumns, or Grid by rows with the grid being of adjustable size and multiple ways of auto-sorting items.
-The Pokemon App allows for Wireless access to the Pokemon Storage System whenever within the confines of a City(Gyms have walls to block the Signal to avoid abuse).
-The Radio App includes a digital music player that serves as a soundtest and custom soundtrack manager.
Single purpose Pokeetch apps are grouped as appropriately into either applet collections or multi purpose apps.
-The PDA's homescreen, displayed on the touchscreen, serves as an omni-present pause menu and can be customized to put the apps you most use at the ready.
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by ShadriaFan »

X/Y had a Battle House of sorts, but it wasn't as diverse as the Battle Frontiers. 3 Ladies run the place and battle you after 50 or so battles. Didn't go very far into it so I can't say much.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

I'd rather see the Vs Seeker or the Match Call come back than have every trainer automatically become re-battle-able as Jeff suggests. Building up a list of trainers who you can face in a rematch against trainers you have yet to defeat is much more fun than just having area reset themselves whenever you leave the boundary. Besides, I don't feel I've completed the game unless I've actually battled every NPC there is to battle, and it would be impossible to keep track of that if rematches were automatically available.

Yes, Pokemon games need a Sound Test option. Maybe the next PokeNav/Xtransceiver/Poketch gadget thing could have a music player app that lets you listen to any tunes you've already heard in the game. Kinda like the Fame Checker but with sound.

Yes to all of Jeff's suggestions for making it possible to complete the PokeDex without ever needing a second player.
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote: -Pokedex, PokeGear, PokeNav, Poketch, C-Gear, etc. are all rolled into one device call a Pokemon Digital Assistance or PDA for short.
Colosseum already introduced the PDA, and it does in fact combine together several of the functions of items from other games, though not as versatile as the device you suggest.

Yes to all of Jeff's suggestions for interface.

Customization and the meta game aren't a big deal to me, but being able to change up what your character looks like a bit more when you battle other players would be good.

Stuff I would like to see that will probably come back anyway when Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are released:

Pokemon Contests, which if could be changed I would love to see Contest Battles as introduced in the anime to be a new feature. This could easily work, with the idea being to string together move combos, as in the Appeal Rounds, while also trying to do damage to your opponent before they take you down.

A higher rank than Master Rank, obtained by first getting Master Rank in each of the five types of contest with at least three Pokemon (and no more than five), then winning a final contest akin the Grand Festival from the anime. Just like the Pokemon League, the player is turned away if they try to access the contest hall where this Grand Festival takes place unless they have the required Master Rank Pokemon with them and choose to participate in the contest with those Pokemon. The victorious player is conducted into a Contest Hall of Fame where an artist paints a portrait of the character standing next to Pokemon they won the contest with, which like the usual Hall of Fame can be viewed by the player at any time, and more portraits can be accumulated with subsequent victories.

This higher-than-Master Rank falls outside the five types and is won based on getting points in whatever category the Pokemon have Master Rank in. For example, a Pokemon with a Master Rank in Coolness is judged as if it were in a coolness contest. If the Pokemon somehow has a Master Rank in two different categories, then normal penalties for using a move from the second type are ignored. So if our cool Pokemon also has a Master Rank in Cuteness, instead of getting a negative reaction from the audience when it performs a Cute move, it will go over well as in a Cuteness Contest. Of course the opponent's Pokemon can also benefit from this.

Fancy outfits and appearance customization options for Contests. If there was a part of the game where this matters the most, Contests would be it.

If Contest Halls are spread out all over the region, have each Pokemon Contest be slightly different from the other. For example if Contest Battles are included in the game, have some Contest Halls do single battles, other do double battles, and others triple battles.

Instead of having the Super Contest's Visual Competition and Dance Competition be required in every Contest, have different Contest Halls feature one or the other or even the preliminary judging round from RSE in their place.

The Appeal Rounds could be changed to include more than four Pokemon going up against each other. Six sounds reasonable. This can mean A- six entrants using one Pokemon each, B- three entrants using two Pokemon each, or C-two entrants using three Pokemon each. B and C would be called Double Appeal and Triple Appeal respectively. The winner is determined based on the net points gained by all of an entrant's Pokemon. Naturally, bigger and more complex chains of move combos are possible when the player has more Pokemon.

In this scheme, Pokemon Contests would consist of three parts:
the Preliminary Round, which could be either the classic judging round, the Visual Competition, or the Dance Competition depending on what town the player is in
the Appeal Rounds, which can be Single, Double, or Triple Appeal depending on location
and finally the Contest Battle, which can be a Single, Double, or Triple Battle depending on location

Ball Capsules to return. Most important detail.

Also:
Just saying.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

^Never played Colosseum, so I was unaware the PDA name had already been used.

I like the ideas for revamping contests.

Some things I forgot to mention:

-Pokedex contains 3 Databases: Pokemon(the classic Pokedex) Moves(database of Pokemon moves, seeing the moved used by someone else's Pokemon gives you the name and type, having one of your Pokemon learn it gives you the full stats for the move) and People(Vastly expanded Fame Checker featuring every unique person in the game).
-Pokedex's move and Pokemon databases are cross-linked so that you can see which moves a Pokemon is known to learn and access the move's entry and vice-versa. Granted, Learnset information is built up as your mons learn moves, Egg Move information is only collected as you successfully breed them, and TM compatbility requires owning hte respective TM.
-Having the Move Relearner look at a Pokemon will fill in the mon's learn set data up to their current level.
-The link between the Pokedex and Map is boosted so that you can select an area and get a list of mons known to be found there(and filter for time of day and whether or not you have captured it) These lists will of course, omit any mons not yet seen.
-If you boot a TM within range of A storage system hotspot, you are given an option to generate a list of all mons in your collection capable of learning the move in the TM and use check boxes to pick as many from the list as you want to teach the move to)
-Speaking of completionism perhaps the Map function should be upgraded with indicators that mark things such as "Battled all Trainers in area" "Caught all Pokemon known to be found in area" "Collected all items found in area(excluding any that are generated randomly"
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

ShadriaFan wrote:X/Y had a Battle House of sorts, but it wasn't as diverse as the Battle Frontiers. 3 Ladies run the place and battle you after 50 or so battles. Didn't go very far into it so I can't say much.
4 Different Chatelaines run the Maison, which is basically "Competitive playing training", as most higher-tier enemy trainers in the Maison use much more competitive-based pokemon, though obviously weaker and lower-tier than actual competitive teams. Also, there are two versions of each matchup (Single, Double, Triple, Rotation, and Mix): regular, and Super, which is unlocked after beating regular (beating the 20 battles and the Chatelaine's first, albeit weak team), which is both endless and has the Chatelaine battle you after 50. Easy to grind if you're good at competitive battling, I can get on average around 100 BP a swing.

As for what I'd like:
  • More shiny variant colours. Having one alternative colour of a pokemon isn't enough, darn it.
  • Better balancing, AKA balancing game breakers like M-Kangaskhan and Blaziken so they're actually not gamebreakers.
  • MEGA SCRAFTY CHRIST ALMIGHTY GIVE ME MEGA SCRAFTY I WANT HIM SO BAD
  • Filling in any gaps left when it comes to dual-type pokemon, such as Fight/Dragon (MEGA SCRAFTY PLEASE OH LORD), Grass/Fire, Bug/Psychic, Bug/Water, Electric/Rock, etc.
  • Much more customization options for trainers, at least more shirt/pants options for guys (such as zip-up hoodies, vests, long-sleeved shirts, etc).
  • More different pokeballs.
Last edited by Rajikaru on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by ShadriaFan »

Pumkaboo and Treeant lines are Grass/Ghost.
Blasphemy
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Blasphemy »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:Regarding pokemon distribution
-An end to version exclusives.
-An end to event-only mons
-An in-game character who offers services to let you evolve mons that only evolve when traded.
-Starters(from all gens) being found in the wild.
-Basically, the ability to get a legit completed Pokedex(at least as far as species is concerned) without having to interact with other players in anyway and without having to go online(I don't mind trading being the fastest route to obtaining some mons, but it shouldn't be mandatory).
I completely agree with this. This is one of the features that bother me the most, especially with legendaries.

I also agree in that the X and Y customization, while nice was definitely lacking. I really do hope for a more extensive customization system with more clothes, a much wider ranges of skin tones, eye colors, and hair colors, many more hairstyles, and accessories like necklaces and bracelets to be added. Then again, customization is a huge factor for me, especially in games that allow you to create your character or feature a silent protagonist* (as with pokemon you can name your character and pick their responses in conversations when given the chance).

I would like to see the pokemon following the trainer feature from HeartGold and SoulSilver make a return here. I absolutely adored that feature!

Finally, even though I don't see this happening anytime soon, a game where you can visit and compete in all regions introduced so far in the games (the main series, not the spin-offs like Colosseum). It would make for a longer game, at least.

*For those who don't know, a silent protagonist is a character who you can pick all of the dialogue options for in a game as well as make all of their choices for them, essentially making them your own.
"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection."
-Henri Poincare

They Who Lack a Face (Newest Project, Updating)
dA|Tumblr|Pokemon X Adventure Tumblr