Pokemon S&M General - Hot Lizard Edition

The Pokémon board, because of popular demand! Gotta catch 'em all!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 3 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Midnite
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: ミ☆

Re: Pokemon S&M General - Hot Lizard Edition

Post by Midnite »

https://youtu.be/3AZHowhxM0U

Oh my gosh, I want about 18391837831 of the Ice/Fairy Ninetales.
- space for rent -
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

Ugh, that Eggecutor evo.

Those Vuplix and Ninetales look cool, hopefully they're going to be kinda common and I can have a "cool" Ice type in my team from the get-go. Although, I'm not sure how the region based of Hawaii gets Ice versions of Pokemon.

The birds are kinda cool, probably won't go for them. But they're somewhat original at least.

Gumshoos is a shame, I liked his first evo, his second (hopefully not last) doesn't look very good.

Lurantis is kinda cool as well, probably won't use it since I don't really use bug types in my teams.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

I want 20 Ice Ninetales and 40 Ice Vulpix

I like the different approach they're taking with new pokemon in this generation, bunch of really weird and unusual designs but older more recognizable pokemon also get new designs and appear in the region so it doesn't seem so strange and different
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Post by CitrusCat »

OH MY GOD! Pokemon variations?!

That's amazing! I never expected them to actually add something like this in the game. I thought Pokemon variations would stay exclusive to fan art. XD

I don't care much for the Ice Vulpix and Ninetales though, since I'm not too fond of the original forms anyway. I always thought they were a bit overrated... Sorry.

But the Ice Sandshrew and Sandslash are too cute, omg, the Sandshrew looks like a little igloo
And the Skinny Exeggutor is hilarious

But... I noticed they're being referred to as the "Alola Form", so does that mean you can't get the original forms unless you transfer them? Well, I heard that you will be able to transfer your Pokemon from the rerelease of Red/Blue/Yellow into Sun/Moon, so I guess now we know why.
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Exeggutor is a Dragon.

IT'S A FREAKIN' DRAGON TREE. WHAT.

The other Ice types seem interesting though. I wonder if they get different abilities, or if Ice Ninetales will still have Drought and Flash Fire (just don't ask how).

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

I really like the idea of regional variants. It brings a cool new way of updating older pokemon, without over relying on Megas, and is a cool world building thing.
I do think Fire -> Ice type is a really big leap, but they look really cool even still.
How different are they, is the next question, but I think it will be done well.
And I certainly hope the abilities are be different. Beware the Ice Drought! The ice is so cold, it absorbs fire!
Midnite
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by Midnite »

It's stated on Serebii that Ninetales will have Snow Cloak. Same with Sandslash. They might still get hidden abilities though I'm sure. Snow Warning Ninetales pls ;~;

On that note, Exeggutor gets Frisk.
- space for rent -
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Speaking of regional differences, did they ever update Arbok's code so it's hood markings match where it was caught rather than the game it's currently in?

I know real-world Hawaii has volcanoes so active that lava rivers are a permanent fixture of the landscape, but does it have any snow capped mountains moving down the archipelago from the hot spot?
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

I think they stopped making Arbok have different patterns depending on the game around Black and White actually. I would like to see it again though.

Now that I think about it, I remember the Anime having Pokemon that were different due to the environment, like the ones on Valencia Island.

- - -
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

And if I remember correctly, Ash saw a shiny Ho-oh in the very first episode and his Butterfree mated with a shiny butterfree, both of which happened before Shinies were officially introduced.

I'm not sure when I learned of Arbok's variant markings, but after I learned of them, it bugged me that all Arbok caught in GSC had Johto Markings, that a Arbok caught in RSE would change from Hoenn markings to Kanto Markings when traded to FRLE or vice versa, etc. Doubly annoying since we've had shinies and the Unown since GSC and Spinda since RSE, so it's not like there were technical issues preventing GameFreak from including sprites of every Arbok pattern and using the Arbok's capture location to determine which to display.

Hmm... I wonder if the species rule will be relaxed in G7 to allow using Ninetales as a Fire and Ice duo.

So, are the icefoxes just recolors of the firefoxes or are there actual difference in design?
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Very minor design differences. Fluffier, more cloud-like fur tufts for Vulpix/Ninetales, and a little helmet-like protrusion/ice quills instead of regular quills for Sandshrew/Sandslash, respectively. Obviously, they're both coloured light blue/white instead of their usual colours to better differentiate as well.
dracomageat
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by dracomageat »

The Executor is supposedly long necked to match Hawai'i's taller palm trees, which makes sense and is an evolutionary countermeasure against floods, but the Dragon typing is supposedly from basis on a dragon fruit plant, which looks absolutely nothing like the new Executor and is infact more cactus than palm tree.

Hawai'i does, however, possess snow covered mountain peaks, making the new (and awesome) ice types far more logical.

Have to query though, is there any story reason these are all first gen so far? Will they stay that way? Will we get a cross-generational pokemon line even if they are all 1st gens?

Personally, I'd like to see a Jynx that moved to the volcanic area to prevent the low oxygen of the icy peak from dampening its psychic powers.
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

I assume most of the new regional forms are ways of updating older pokemon that are a bit weird and under used, which would make the large majority of candidates pokemon from older generations (1 and 2 mostly.) I am pretty certain there is no in universe reasoning for it (thus far) only being Kanto things.

I find it funny that people are complaining about the show of ice-type regional variants. "It's Hawaii so no ice!" Removal of an entire type? It is ridiculous. And even if real world Hawaii has no ice, Alola is only so inspired by Hawaii. Unova implies there is a dessert in the middle of Manhattan.

Jynx update would be pretty cool.
Skonia
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao
Motto: Vugzahd, rei ahrk storniik.

Post by Skonia »

relevant to that, i've seen a post going around showing alolan jynx and vaporeon which are clearly fake, because we would've known by other sources if it was real.

i honestly want to see some ghost or dragon type variations.
y'all...
Image Image Image
dracomageat
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by dracomageat »

Ghost type Ninetails was my most wanted delta pokemon before alola forms were announced, which is a shame because now deltas are outside the TCG but that one will never happen :(.
A Gengar purified by island rituals to become fairy type could be interesting. Maybe even fire/fairy Ghastly since it'd obviously be a will-o-the-wisp.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

I like the idea of Lava Jynx, but I can't help thinking a thinner, hula-skirt wearing grass/psychic type Jynx would be cooler.

I'd be surprised if any of the Evvelutions got new forms, if only because I don't think GameFreak would do it halfway, and Eevee's evolution family is nearly twice the size of the next largest evolution family(If I'm not mistaken, at 5 members, Wurmples line is the only other family with more than 4 members not counting alternate forms).

I do like the idea of a Fire/fairy Ghastly-line. And speaking of ghosts being purified, I can't help but thing of Misdrevus with a lye or lae or whatever you call those flower necklaces the Hawaiians are associated with.

Also, Tiki Sudowoodo, or just a Tiki pokemon in general.
dracomageat
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by dracomageat »

New evidence suggests that, while there is still no obvious cannonical reason, we might not be seeing any 2nd gen onwards alola forms. Not sure how I feel about that really but a fighting type abra family certainly has potential.
Midnite
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by Midnite »

https://youtu.be/SFWLoyZESAc

https://youtu.be/-1hsh267tUM

More new Pokemon reveals. Unpopular opinion, but I really like the sandcastles.
- space for rent -
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Post by CitrusCat »

I actually like the sandcastles, too. I was never really bothered by the inanimate object Pokemon in the first place, since I usually like the designs.

Also, I find it interesting that Stufful (Bewear's pre-evolution) appears to be based more on a stuffed animal, rather than simply being a bear cub. (At 1:04 in the video, you can see it even has a tag on its rear.)
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
Chaos the Light Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by Chaos the Light Chao »

A boxing crab, eh? I think it's about time I got a new Pokemon game.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

I can't wait to transfer my Ash Greninja to the full version so I can reenact the scene where it lost to a Charizard.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

^I can't wait to get spoilers for a episode that hasn't gotten dubbed yet and also aired in Japan way less than a year ago.

- - -
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

It's your own fault. The episode wasn't recent by any definition and is big talk in both America and Japan in relation to the games.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

Well you see-

Don't you talk to me.

- - -
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

New Evo's shown

They're all equally as good as they are bad.

It's hard to pick one.

NOW I NEED TO SEE THE FINAL EVO.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!