Pokémon movies.

The Pokémon board, because of popular demand! Gotta catch 'em all!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 6 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Pokémon movies.

Post by retrolinkx »

Thought I'd make a thread about the Pokemon movies, since I was just discussing some of them with friends.

So how many of you kids are old enough to remember ACTUALLY going to the cinema to watch the first Pokemon movie?

I was just talking with my friend about how I went there with my parents and brothers back in 1999/2000 or so. My parents had to basically sit there and watch the movie with us bored out of their minds while we were all enjoying the hell out of it. My mum still asks me to this day if the girl with psyduck is the show anymore, and funnily enough next time she asks I can tell her "yeah, she came back in the newest season".

I still find it quite funny that critics panned the films for literally being a children's film. Saying "it's bad because if you're an adult you're going to hate it" and gave it low 10% scores, even though it was a box office hit.

I'd say my favourite Pokémon movie was the Deoxys one just because it had some really interesting characters and the situation where the city was on lockdown and Pokéballs stopped working and they were in literal survival mode, having to sneak around to get food and such. Plus that kid who was afraid of Pokémon was actually a unique character in that universe which made the film even more interesting since you were always wondering if he'd turn his opinion on Pokémon around.

The last Pokémon film I watched was the Zoroark one when it came out in 2010 or so. I'm around 7 movies behind at this point. I was considered rewatching them all since I haven't seen them in years. How about you guys, what films did you enjoy and watched?
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Re: Pokémon movies.

Post by ShadriaFan »

I was around for them to be in theaters but wasn't able to go to one due to price and distance.
My favorite film has to the 3rd Movie: Spell of the Unown. It went against the formula of someone being out right bad (Mewtwo wanted to destroy humanity and the Pokemon that loved and obeyed them, Lawrence the III nearly destroyed the world for his selfish desires without a care), and I just really loved it.
I've seen every Pokemon film at least once but have to say that Hoopa and the Clash of Ages is just..horrible. It feels more like a super long episode of Pokemon X&Y with a ton of show off on OR/AS things such as Primal Reversion (Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre were on the box although they had little screen time-just like other legendaries on there except Hoopa), Mega Evolution (Mega Rayquaza and Mega Latis), and the Hoopa Loops that bring forth Legendary Pokemon post story. OH, and Costume Pikachu, they showed every Costume Pikachu in just one scene.. @n@
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

^Spell of Unown is my favorite Pokemon movie too. Molly is perhaps the most interesting character introduced in the films, and her desire to escape the harshness of reality is depicted so powerfully. Plus Entei vs Charizard is one of the best fights in the entire anime.

I like all of the Pokemon movies one way or another, the ones that stand out the most are the first three, Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, and the DP movies. I also agree with retro that Destiny Deoxys was really cool, it felt like a classic science fiction film rather than a typical Pokemon episode, and the sub plot about Tory overcoming his fear of Pokemon gave the story some emotional weight.

I haven't watched most recent two movies, but I've been meaning to get around to it. I'm curious where they will go next- create a sequel to Pokemon, I Choose You or make a movie for the Sun and Moon cast? The fact that Ash doesn't really travel in Alola makes me think writers are hesitant to set a movie there, since the Pokemon movies ALWAYS take place in original film-specific locations.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I never saw any of the movies in theatres, but I owned the first three movies on VHS back in the day and movies 3, 4, and 6 on DVD. Beyond those, I think the Lucario Movie is the only one I've come close to seeing from beginning to end.