Possible Chao Garden Hack?

A forum for discussion regarding hacking of the Chao system and editing things with non-standard methods.
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
MrChaoLover
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Possible Chao Garden Hack?

Post by MrChaoLover »

Does anyone know if there is any hack or mod to make the dreamcast chao gardens available in the pc games of SA2? The dreamcast version had much cooler chao garden layouts and i was wondering if it was possible to create the dreamcast versions in the pc games.
I make a Chao Garden series on youtube. You should check it out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rYQ_9p ... FI&index=1
krzys2
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher
Motto: The key of making chao happy...Is good fruit

Re: Possible Chao Garden Hack?

Post by krzys2 »

it is imposible to change game models, so you can't
Image Image Image Image
Legends will never die, so will not cookies
MrChaoLover
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by MrChaoLover »

Darn that would be awesome tho. Thanks for the response :)
I make a Chao Garden series on youtube. You should check it out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rYQ_9p ... FI&index=1
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

The SA2 model format hasn't been fully cracked, so there don't exist any tools for putting custom models into SA2. However, I have no idea if the Dramcast and Steam versions of SA2 are using the same model format(or at least similiar enough that conversion isn't needed), and as such don't know if such a hack would just involve a few file replacements or whether it would require some actual hacking.
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: My ego will blot out the Sun.

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

MrChaoLover wrote:Does anyone know if there is any hack or mod to make the dreamcast chao gardens available in the pc games of SA2? The dreamcast version had much cooler chao garden layouts and i was wondering if it was possible to create the dreamcast versions in the pc games.
Use the SA2B mod loader.
It allows you to swap out levels, textures, etc. and still be able to boot the game. That's how I made my Nick Cage garden.
And it already comes with the dreamcast gardens, too.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I decided to inquire about this on a hacking forum recently, and the answer I got was a long the lines of:
1. The level geometry is portable from Dreamcast to PC, but such data is compiled into the .exe and .dlls in the PC version, so fileswapping isn't possible.
2. The are other things to consider for such a port(object layouts, spawn point maps) which might likewise be hardcoded.
3. This applies more or less the same for bothe SA1 and SA2.
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: My ego will blot out the Sun.

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:I decided to inquire about this on a hacking forum recently, and the answer I got was a long the lines of:
1. The level geometry is portable from Dreamcast to PC, but such data is compiled into the .exe and .dlls in the PC version, so fileswapping isn't possible.
2. The are other things to consider for such a port(object layouts, spawn point maps) which might likewise be hardcoded.
3. This applies more or less the same for bothe SA1 and SA2.
I literally walked around in the dreamcast versions of the levels yesterday. When I get home tonight I'll even record a video if you want.

Or, you know, you could just install the mod loader yourself. Or ask Darkibenji.