How to transfer old console Chao to PC

A forum for discussion regarding hacking of the Chao system and editing things with non-standard methods.
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
ChrisOfChaos
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

How to transfer old console Chao to PC

Post by ChrisOfChaos »

I know a lot of us probably have Chao stored away in our GameCubes, Dreamcasts, possibly even GBAs that we may want to transfer to a PC copy. Mostly this helps with preserving Chao we put a lot of effort into and keeping them around pretty much indefinitely. We may have a carefully bred Chao with great stats, or a long-lived Chaos Chao, or a Chao that won us a lot of races, but fact is consoles wear down over time and the Chao will one day be lost unless they're on a PC.

For the most part there really is no concrete way to transfer a Chao from a GameCube to a PC. But we can at least do the equivalent. Chao are stored as data, and data can be copied. The best way to transfer a Chao from a GameCube (or Dreamcast) to a PC is, if you ask me at least, using Fusion's Chao Editor.

The Editor doesn't allow us to directly clone Chao from a GameCube, Dreamcast or GBA, true. But it does allow us to create a new Chao with any characteristic we want, and therein lies the key to transferring a Chao.

If you were to gather as much data as possible on your console Chao, like stats, it's breed, age, stat grades, animal parts, reincarnations, you could easily duplicate your Chao using the Editor. It wouldn't technically be a "copy", but it could be made identical to the original in every way. You're still copying the Chao, just indirectly. As long as you copy the data carefully there would be no difference from the original. Personally I think it's a great option for backing up and preserving console Chao you put a lot of effort into.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: How to transfer old console Chao to PC

Post by chaoadventures »

DarkyBenji made this tutorial on transferring GC chao to PC: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=46667
I've yet to try it, but I plan to pretty soon. It keeps things like genes and exact personality and age values too.

I'd still advise making a replica with Fusion's Editor if you don't have a Wii or don't feel like putting homebrew on it.

Dreamcast chao however, don't have a transfer method. SA1DC chao's stats don't match the current system (3 digits for stat points instead of 4) and I believe they also don't have grades.

I can't speak for SA2DC chao, but I believe it's the same as the newer ones. Nobody's messed with converting either yet, has far as I know.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
ChrisOfChaos
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by ChrisOfChaos »

^

Yeah I think replicating a Chao is much easier. You can make the duplicate exactly like the original in almost every way if you know how to use the Editor, and it's pretty much universal. Chao are stored as data so if you copy the same data from the GC, DC, or GBA Chao into the new one it's basically the same Chao recreated for the PC.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Er, you can't check the exact statistics of a chao on a console (things like exact age and evolution "magnitude", which are tracked all the way to the thousandths)

Luck and Intelligence are also invisible, additionally with grades between 0 and 255. It's also the only option for people who don't have their old games, but that's more of a side effect.

But yes, this is the fastest way.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
ChrisOfChaos
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by ChrisOfChaos »

^
Right, why I said almost.