I'm working on a Chao viewer! || Update 12/18/17

A forum for discussion regarding hacking of the Chao system and editing things with non-standard methods.
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 4 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Justin113D
Chao Artist
Chao Artist

I'm working on a Chao viewer! || Update 12/18/17

Post by Justin113D »

Hey there guys, i'm Justin113D, hobby-programmer :D

so, as i started teaching myself how to program through the web to program this july, i decided to start developing the fanremaster for a sonic game, and as one of our team-artists sent me the original chao files (i couldnt extract them myself somehow) for 3d-reference, i also found out that they got the files from a ripping forum some time (dont know which one tho), which tried to make their own chao viewer, without success (well, at least they got the morphing working).

then i was like: "hm, i have been wanting something like this for years now...", so I tried to make my own chao viewer, using unity. And i was successful.

And here it is! It is still in development, but i already managed to get texturing and morphing working properly. I already implemented the child-chao, and i am currently working on applying the colors for the Normal (second evolution) chao.

The current system for the evolution-type is a system i invented myself. As you (probably, i assume you guys here are hardcore chao fans :D ) know, in the original evolution system, fly and swim cancelled each other out (meaning if you raise swim, fly goes down and vise versa), same for power an run. I wanted to get rid of this, so in my system, all the old evolutions (even the cross evolutions like normal-swim/power 'n' related) are possible, and even more. The system works the following :thinking: :
you have 100 points (or percents) to give away. if no stat has been raised at all, those 100 points are undefined, resulting in a normal chao (so itis 100% normal).
now, you can for example apply these 100 points to swim, making it a Swim chao (100% swim, 0% normal).
now, if you decide to raise another stat, no matter which one, the points you apply to the new stat will be taken from stats which already have points. that means if you raise another stat by 25%, those 25 points will be taken away from the Swim stat, resulting in a (for example) 25% fly and 75% swim chao.
this means that all stats added together (including the "normal" stat, which is just the number of free points) will be resulting in 100 points, which makes it possible to have cross-version between swim and fly, power and run or even between all if every stat has 25 points given (or if all have twenty, which would also add the normal-evolution to the cross-version)
dont worry, i will also add the old system, but later.

also, i will add all the chao versions (metal, shiny, mono- and two tone and all colors AND face expressions) to the viewer, which means that you will be able to make every possible chao in the viewer.
but wait, there's more, i will also add a custom-color function, which will allow you to color the chao after your own taste, making even more chao possible :D
example of a custom colored dark-normal chao :darkcool:

Here is a video of me showing the current process :herosurprise: :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_5k4BeQ74c&t=46s

i hope you like my little project :D
if you have any questions, just ask, i will try to answer everything (while working on the program :chaohappy: )

update video from 11/24/2017:
https://youtu.be/FD-IK9y_nco

update video from 11/30/2017
https://youtu.be/uBSFFFkREDI

Update video 12/09/17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g86ATpIAoiA&t=1s

Update video 12/18/17 (there were a few before, but i made these updates so fast that i put this one in here now o.o)
https://youtu.be/iVCWkwOXeBs
Last edited by Justin113D on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Drflash55
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: Chaaaaooooo!

Re: I'm working on a Chao viewer!

Post by Drflash55 »

I've seen your progress on the Chao Resort Island server.

Keep up the great work, man! :chaohappy:
Just your average everyday Chao caretaker... or am I?

:thinking:
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Post by Mooncow »

This looks great! I'm making a section for mods and tools like these, it would be great if I could add it to this section with your permission.
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
Justin113D
Chao Artist
Chao Artist

Post by Justin113D »

Mooncow wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:25 pm This looks great! I'm making a section for mods and tools like these, it would be great if I could add it to this section with your permission.
Of course you have my permission :O it would be very cool :D

tho its not downloadable yet, since i am still working on everything
azureprism
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: without memes i will die

Post by azureprism »

I never knew how much I needed this.
Justin113D
Chao Artist
Chao Artist

Post by Justin113D »

azureprism wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:49 pm I never knew how much I needed this.
:D