Help wanted: Eggs for SA2 Dreamcast without online?

A forum for discussion regarding hacking of the Chao system and editing things with non-standard methods.
Warning! This topic is 5 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Metalsonic3
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Help wanted: Eggs for SA2 Dreamcast without online?

Post by Metalsonic3 »

Heya, haven't visited this forum in forever, buuut hey, figured you guys could maybe help me out here.

I recently bought a Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, and with SA2 having most of my interest but the lack of Black Market definitely being abit of a problem I started to wonder: Is there any way to bring new chao or even just eggs to Sonic Adventure 2 without the online functions? I was looking at VMU Chao Editor 2 but from reading about it seems like that hack doesn't include bringing/hacking/spawning eggs in. Basically, I just want more chao into my gardens (and not just more basic ones through breeding), even basic single colored ones would do. Got a VMU to work with if need be, haven't tried Chao Adventure 2 yet since I ended up filling too many blocks with other games.

And yes, I do know the SA2 website has been restored nowadays, buuut building a DreamPi seems abit too troublesome at the moment (and other ways to connect even more so), not only have I no experience with that stuff and I also live in PAL region which appearently makes it all atleast a tad bit more FUN, sooo I'm looking for alternatives.
azureprism
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: without memes i will die

Re: Help wanted: Eggs for SA2 Dreamcast without online?

Post by azureprism »

Your best bet might be to make a temporary save file on another VMU if you have more than one and load a Chao egg from that VMU's Chao Gardens so you can change its colour through Chao Editor 2 and then place it back into your main VMU's Chao Garden save. CE and CE2 might have the ability to restore the default file if no Chao is present on the VMU IIRC and essentially create a Chao for you to edit.

Remember, you can't load Chao Adventure 2 onto the VMU that you plan to load Chao Editor 2 on because of the one minigame limit (and the whole thing with the file sizes). The moment you load a Chao onto a VMU without a minigame, SA2 will attempt to load Chao Adventure 2 onto it as well provided there's enough space.
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Post by Mooncow »

Hi!

OK so unfortunately the regular coloured Chao/Eggs is all there is. There are no other colour Chao on SA1 Dreamcast (Monotone or Twotone) except for the black egg at the egg carrier. The only Jewel Chao are the Gold and Silver Chao.

Dreamcast SA2 has even less option without the online functions. You can't get anything except for the regular Chao!

I will put up the files onto Chao Island in the future for download onto VMU.
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
Metalsonic3
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by Metalsonic3 »

azureprism wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:57 am Your best bet might be to make a temporary save file on another VMU if you have more than one and load a Chao egg from that VMU's Chao Gardens so you can change its colour through Chao Editor 2 and then place it back into your main VMU's Chao Garden save. CE and CE2 might have the ability to restore the default file if no Chao is present on the VMU IIRC and essentially create a Chao for you to edit.
I was actually wondering if something like this would be possible and hah there we go. I'll just first need to buy another VMU (thankfully even brand new ones are cheap) and look into how all that PC to/from VMU business actually works in practice, I looked at basic stuff online but that was it for now.

Well, even if I wouldn't need two VMU's for this I'm still gonna eventually buy a second one, the Dreamcast games I bought with the machine ended up filling the first VMU already and I can't even get Shenmue going unless I remove SA1 save, lol.
Mooncow wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:59 pmI will put up the files onto Chao Island in the future for download onto VMU.
Hey, that would be great!

Anyway yeah, while I can't give Chao Editor (2) a shot at the moment, thanks for the responses and help anyway!
Metalsonic3
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by Metalsonic3 »

Double-ish post here but I wanted to keep these two messages seperated so this hopefully won't go unnoticed, plus there was some hours between these two posts, so hey:

What's the best/easiest way to get Chao Editor 2 to a VMU? I've tried looking around, and I'm assuuuming I need to first burn Dream Explorer to a disc, then sooomehow get the editor into the VMU through that? Do I burn the editor onto the disc aswell? It's all a tad confusing to me so hey, figured I'd ask here again.
CHJohnson
Egg
Egg
Motto: Like Sonic, fun is fast, but endless.

Post by CHJohnson »

In the sa2 Dreamcast Chao editor, you can modify a chao's age, even to the point where it's an egg. :chaohappy:
:omochao: "I'm not annoying! I updated!" -Omochao
Omochao is our friend.
Tyro
VIP
VIP

Post by Tyro »

Metalsonic3 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:24 pm I was looking at VMU Chao Editor 2 but from reading about it seems like that hack doesn't include bringing/hacking/spawning eggs in.
Um... I don't quite understand what you mean. Chao Editor 2 for the Dreamcast VMU does allow you to both create and modify all sort of Chao, including creating eggs (choose Modify - Appearence - Chao Type - Chao Egg).

There is a problem however with the Dream Explorer version: the editor file is named wrong. Make sure it is named

SONIC2____VM

in the VMU directory. This is because the editor must 'trick' the game to believe it is actually "Chao Adventure 2", and if the name is wrong, this won't work (with Sonic Adventure 1, the game only checked for a matching string within the header, not the actual filename). Also make sure the language code of the editor matches the game language, or the editor will be overwritten with a matching-language version of "Chao Adventure 2".
Metalsonic3 wrote: Got a VMU to work with if need be, haven't tried Chao Adventure 2 yet since I ended up filling too many blocks with other games.
You can only have one minigame (executable file) per VMU.