Chao role-players discussion topic

A forum created specifically for Chao Role-Plays due to high demand by our community.
Chao Points and post counting are disabled in this forum.
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: Never look at your life as something insignificant.

Re: Chao role-players discussion topic

Post by Snowy »

100th post yeah
Ciao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: When life gives you lemons, ask for oranges.

Post by Ciao »

Wouldn't that be a good reason for everyone to have new characters in an RP? That way, you can establish some kind of history between each other in your character sheets, without having to to "meeting" in RPs. Just a thought, honestly.
Chaolin112
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: It's just an ordinary dream.

Post by Chaolin112 »

(friggin alternate time zone >o<)

I agree that we should all start with completely new, original (or at least non-time hero) characters, and I'm also willing to work out a plot and everything. The problem is, if we'd use our time heroes then you just get stuck in this "oh we already did this" and "well i still have these emeralds and that weapon" and blablabla.

I also offer to write the topic for it (because i'm kind of like a control freak and i like to sit on top of things :3), so if y'all agree to that, you can PM me your idea for a plot and/or rules and i'll get it all together.
Sounds like a plan?

Let's get Chao roleplaying started again!
Ciao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by Ciao »

It sounds good to me. If I have any inspiration, you'll be the first person I message.
Here's to having a good time RPing.
*clink*
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Snowy »

I'm still not getting rid of Snowy but limiting him down to normal chao stuff has been in my mind for a while. I just really don't know how Loud and the others might react though...

Though that's why we have our own forum now. Maybe we'll just keep our stuff there and new stuff over here?

I'm up for that... Though, I don't know about Nacho and the rest.

I'm gonna get to work on Snowy's limits. BRB
Chaolin112
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by Chaolin112 »

^ Snowy, the whole point is to reboot / restart the RPs. If you absolutely really completely want to, I can't stop you but if you don't make a new character, why would Loud or anyone else? It's gotta start somewhere. You don't have to 'get rid' of him but a new character would really help.

Also, I'm just gonna start a topic (which will be WIP), and if you have ideas for things, don't hestitate to leave them at the Community RP topic
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Snowy »

I guess your right. I have to Let It Go.

I have other characters so yeah. I guess Milo, Speedy, Shadow, Zippy, and Bubbles shall shine now.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

Snowy, we can just move all the stuff we've been doing here to nacho's place.

We'll let them restart here. Nacho doesnt drop by here as much anyways
Chaolin112
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by Chaolin112 »

I dont see what Nacho has to do with this? (other than being a great rper that is)
NachoThePikachu
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Never let the world change your smile.

Post by NachoThePikachu »

Aww, thanks. >v<

I'm considered a big helper to the chao Rp community(I think) so I usually am brought up in these kinds of discussions. :3

Anyhow, if I may give my input on some of the previous topics brought up...

No Time Heroes may sound like an appealing idea for some of you guys, but for the few who actually have "Time Hero" characters, it's not really fair. I created the title for those few main characters we used often. It's just to make those characters special to us compared to those few new characters we would use. It's like Ciao using Kyle, that's just his main character. :3

The new characters thing sounds fine, but I think it would be a better idea if maybe we could use some of our typical characters, and then throw in a new character. That way everyone has something new, and something they're used to.

Personally, I wouldn't really enjoy a Rp as much if our chao were just normal chao. We've made this world into one where chao of all types and colors are all unique with their own special powers, and that's just the fun of it. Some new characters I had in mind had powers, and it would kinda mess that up. That's just me, though.

So yeah, that's just what I had to share. I'll also drop some new Rp ideas and stuff into that topic of yours later, Chaolin. :3
☆~Bow down to the Banana Lord~☆
Add me on Discord! ☆ NachoThePikachu#0622
TwitterDeviantArtTwitch
Ivo-goji: Of course. Bananas are always the answer. How foolish of me to think otherwise.
quartzlcc
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Check out my pecs!

Post by quartzlcc »

Chaolin112 wrote:^ Snowy, the whole point is to reboot / restart the RPs. If you absolutely really completely want to, I can't stop you but if you don't make a new character, why would Loud or anyone else? It's gotta start somewhere. You don't have to 'get rid' of him but a new character would really help.
A+, fantastic attitude; it's quite clear to me now that I was calling out the wrong person concerning the concept of taking responsibility.

I would definitely encourage you all to branch out and challenge yourself.

The annoyance with "time heroes" is not so much their abilities or anything of the sort. It simply makes a role-play much less entertaining if one recycles the same characters over and over. I understand that y'all are fond of your characters though, and I can appreciate that.
NachoThePikachu wrote:No Time Heroes may sound like an appealing idea for some of you guys, but for the few who actually have "Time Hero" characters, it's not really fair. I created the title for those few main characters we used often. It's just to make those characters special to us compared to those few new characters we would use. It's like Ciao using Kyle, that's just his main character. :3
I find this point amusingly inaccurate because Ciao has used Kyle twice. He is more than capable of making a new character and judging from his comments in this thread, it's quite clear that he will.

Nobody is saying anything against your Time Heroes. I actually think it's pretty awesome that y'all have a title for a close-knit group of characters you have. But I think it would be a lot of fun, and a welcome challenge for all of us, to try something completely different. Heck, by the end of it, we may end up with another close-knit group of characters with an awesome title.

I used to role play my hero power chao Quartz all the time, and nobody else. Notice I now have Guadalupe Hidalgo and Zoey, and I gotta say, it's a lot more interesting for everyone, myself included, to play as someone else.
Wrath of Kinto Q - Chao Roleplay! - Click here!
NachoThePikachu
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

I realize you're correct in pointing out Kyle was only used twice, but it seemed pretty obvious that Ciao was fond of this character and was probably planning to use him further in later rps. It probably would have been better for me to choose another example, but that was the first to come to mind since he's newer.

And while our characters are important to us, there has been multiple times where we haven't used them before, which hasn't been an issue. I was just pointing out that these characters aren't all that special, and the title is just something between us. They're basically our main characters, is all. We just don't want to be deprived of using them from now on, which is why I brought it up.

I agree that using a new set of characters adds more variety to the Rp, and it'd be great to get to come up with new characters more often, but we would appreciate it if we could still use our old characters on occasion. You know?

EDIT: one more thing I would like to add, it bothers me how you specifically target our characters and our characters only. How about instead of wanting "No Time Heroes" you ask to have "New characters only"

Because if this rule only applies to us and nobody else, that's when the tables turn and it's not fair anymore.
TwitterDeviantArtTwitch
Ivo-goji: Of course. Bananas are always the answer. How foolish of me to think otherwise.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by KeatonLabs »

Ok, you guys, take a step back and stop targeting the time heroes. Note, we HAVE MANY times used new characters. And we dont always use the same recycled characters(hell i occasionally bring back palm with many changes) so there is still variety.

If you want new characters, thats fine and dandy, but just make a new character rule for YOUR rp's.

It seems to me you guys just came in bashing our characters for being reused. And its rather off putting. Maybe you should worry about your characters alone?

And nacho has made many good points, so maybe consider her suggestions instead.
Chaolin112
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by Chaolin112 »

Apologies for not being clear. Keaton, that is exactly what I meant and Nacho, i'm really sorry if it came off as an insult to you or the Time Heroes RPs, it wasn't meant like that at all :c
In fact it was the Time Collapse RP that made me active on CI again so I guess I owe it all to you, haha c:

I also updated the community rp topic so I hope that's informative enough for now :3
Last edited by Chaolin112 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quartzlcc
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by quartzlcc »

Right, I'm not going to continue to talk about Ciao as if he can't speak for himself.

I agree that it should be all new characters for all of us. I thought that was pretty clear, my apologies. I also thought it was pretty clear that we think all of us should stay away from existing characters for one role-play, not all of the rest of the role-plays from here on.

Keaton, worrying about our characters alone makes for a rather terrible role-play. It's called foiling; your character develops more based on their interactions with other characters. If one doesn't worry about other characters, then one quickly falls into the pitfall of not paying attention to a character ... and more of the characters ... and eventually said character is off in their own little world, and it's quite boring and counter-productive to the story.

When designing a story together, we are a team, not a group of people all doing our own things.
Ciao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by Ciao »

KeatonLabs wrote:If you want new characters, thats fine and dandy, but just make a new character rule for YOUR rp's.
I think that's the best compromise here. That way, people can still use their regulars, but also be able to take the challenge of designing a new character in other instances.

Ninja edit: I also agree with everything quartz said above. Carry on.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by KeatonLabs »

Chaolin112 wrote: I also updated the community rp topic so I hope that's informative enough for now :3
There was a topic? Oh, i thought we were going to do the talk about that here. I have a couple ideas for a plot(maybe) and i'll gather them for a bit.
Keaton, worrying about our characters alone makes for a rather terrible role-play. It's called foiling; your character develops more based on their interactions with other characters. If one doesn't worry about other characters, then one quickly falls into the pitfall of not paying attention to a character ... and more of the characters ... and eventually said character is off in their own little world, and it's quite boring and counter-productive to the story.
No, because you cant control others characters. Thats bunnying. What the character does depends on what the other person wants the character to do. Thats not in your control. And if you want it to be, too bad.

The point being, the current chao rpers had the rp's placed in this world that flowed with our current characters, usually bringing something new. That clearly is not acceptable to you guys who are becoming a part of us now, but you must respect how we've been going for a couple years at this point. You'll just have to adjust. And if someone wants to use an old character, then respect their decision. Again, thats their choice, not yours.

Ninja's. To reply to ciao. Yeah, thats the best thing to do. Just dont expect much from me personally. Making new bio's from the spot isnt exactly my strong point so i usually recycle a personality section and add to it.
quartzlcc
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by quartzlcc »

Keaton, you just listed all of the things that make role-plays interesting.

Also, OOC chats and exchanging PMs helps coordinate things better between characters. I find it amusing, all of the RP rules that say "no bunnying." In reality, any good role-play should say "no bunnying without permission." Because let's be honest, sometimes it gets in the way of writing compelling posts to have to wait on the other person's every word. Which, again, is where OOC chats and exchanging PMs helps out quite a bit. Kyle and Zoey have been bunnying each other a bit in Ciao's RP, because we've kept in contact about such things. Being a team makes for a better role-play, being a team involves outside communication. Role-plays are an artistic effort and those rules apply to all artistic efforts.

Anyway, I totally agree that the rest of us have to do some adjusting and not just cry that "it's not fair you started earlier wahhh!" Thus why I agree that this "all new characters" concept should be adopted on a thread-to-thread basis.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by KeatonLabs »

I dont mean bunnying as in telling a user, hey lets do this with our characters. Thats perfectly fine. But you dont always have people who will want to do what you want them to do. Thats why you cant plan for anything. You have to go with what happens.

Stop trying to fix an issue that never needed to be fixed. If you dont like the recycling of characters, make your own rp and put the new characters rule on it. Dont force it down all of our throats who want to keep using our characters.

Thats all im contributing to this argument. I just got mario kart 8 and wind waker hd and i've been waiting for this to passover so i can switch. But you really want to change this so im out.
quartzlcc
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by quartzlcc »

KeatonLabs wrote:I dont mean bunnying as in telling a user, hey lets do this with our characters. Thats perfectly fine. But you dont always have people who will want to do what you want them to do. Thats why you cant plan for anything. You have to go with what happens.
These same rules apply to interacting with people in real life. You roll with the punches. I don't see how this stops you from developing a character? If anything, it's an excellent way to do as such, because you can ask yourself, "what would my character do in this situation?" in a large variety of situations. This helps flesh out a character.
KeatonLabs wrote:Stop trying to fix an issue that never needed to be fixed. If you dont like the recycling of characters, make your own rp and put the new characters rule on it. Dont force it down all of our throats who want to keep using our characters.
OK, this is the third time I have said this: All new characters on a thread-to-thread basis. Probably just this RP Chaolin is designing. Nobody is saying you can't keep using your characters.

Also important:
NachoThePikachu
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

I would like to pitch in one last thing.

As long as we all agree to use new characters more often, i'm sure everyone would be pleased. That does not mean anyone is deprived of using ANY characters, including Time Heroes or main characters. MORE OFTEN is the key for us, it doesn't mean we ALWAYS have to use new charries.

If a RP is to want new characters, don't put Time Heroes on the spot. Ask EVERYONE to follow the rule by asking everyone to make a new character.

Sure, if you guys want to start fresh, go ahead. The only thing we don't want is to be deprived of using our characters from now on. I'm sure i'm speaking for all Time Hero users here, so please, keep everyone in mind and we'll be sure to make new characters too.

Heck, if anyone needs help thinking up a new chao, ask me. I'm always up for helping.

Now, if it's alright, i'd like to move past this subject and maybe ask everyone to focus on the new rp for now. I feel like it'd be better for everyone if we start working together, rather than going on about this subject.

I hope you all understand. :3
TwitterDeviantArtTwitch
Jack Augustine
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Thunder Fang! See you never.

Post by Jack Augustine »

Yes.

I use (or rather, because of Citrus, used) Zero all the time because he was mine, and I'm terrible with making new characters. I stick with the characters I make, but I'm fully willing to make one other. Hell, I'm even making a new RP based around a new character-concept soon...
Speeps
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher

Post by Speeps »

I moved something to the last page of this forum that is a definite reminder of what god modding can do to an rp.

The two characters I've made so far are based on weird stuff but I've turned them into characters over it :)
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

also that joshy skit wasn't funny m8

you can do that in the not-serious-at-all-roleplaying forum
Speeps
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher

Post by Speeps »

This is a really minor criticism I have and I don't mean to offend anybody about it, but...

I've noticed that certain people try to make their characters look as badass as possible, it just looks sort of bad when reading through some of the rps when it happens a lot though.

Although granted I'm only really in the PotE RP and for some characters in that one (Arizona etc.) it's done rather well (seeing as Arizona draws some of his stuff from his inner Indy it's only natural :wink: )