Ever realize that Tails can't jump on chao?

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 1 week old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
immaterialgirl
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: what's normal for the lion is shocking for the mouse

Ever realize that Tails can't jump on chao?

Post by immaterialgirl »

I don't know, I thought that was a huge discovery for me. Or perhaps my brain is just losing memory :cry:
My theory as to why:
1. tails has his own attack
2.tails is for people who accidentally jump on their chao too much
3.tails is too small compared to the other characters, therefore, he can't hurt them with his weight

or maybe the game makers forgot?

anyways, let me know if you already knew this or not :herosurprise:
Chao Professor
Motto: It's thinking...

Re: Ever realize that Tails can't jump on chao?

Post by Chao Professor »

Yeah, he's one of the main reasons I used him the most as a kid. It does seem strange considering every other character can, but Tails is implied to be quite small on his own. I mean, he doesn't walk around in a mech for nothing.
Image It's still thinking...
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: help shawty my son is emo

Post by ChillyChao »

Never noticed that.
That explains why Tails couldn't hurt that one Chao in my Chao Garden..... :thinking:
im just saying if the glass was gone in the glass coffin scene hoffman and strahm would have been kissing
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

If I remember correctly, Eggman can’t either. And I think Tails could attack Chao by jumping in SA1. Don’t remember.

I think this is just because they don’t use either of them outside of their mechs in the levels, so they just didn’t bother giving them the ability to attack by jumping.

Either way, this is one of the reasons I use Tails the most in the gardens.

Relatedly, using hacks or mods to use either in the main levels is really hard because they can’t do what most characters can.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Yeah, Mechless Tails/Eggman are pretty barebones as far as player character objects go. Not bothering to fully implement them is probably also why Tails has no time limit on flight but can't gain any additional height from it either.
UltimaNumber
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Motto: I'm just a number

Post by UltimaNumber »

I realize that anything that counts as attacking can hurt Chao, but I never tried jumping on them with Tails or Eggman just to see if it didn't, only because I would NEVER harm my Chao on purpose. That is an interesting discovery! I will be sure to keep that in mind to make sure I won't have more accidental injuries on my Chao!
Always happy to see Number and his 12 daughters and 6 sons.

My YouTube stuffs
azureprism
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: without memes i will die

Post by azureprism »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:53 am Yeah, Mechless Tails/Eggman are pretty barebones as far as player character objects go. Not bothering to fully implement them is probably also why Tails has no time limit on flight but can't gain any additional height from it either.
It's definitely a relief that they didn't code an attack to their jumps.

Though, it DOES bring up the question on why they coded Tails to be capable of drowning if he never gets to swim under normal cameplay circumstances and didn't appear to have any consideration of possible water exploration unlike Sonic and Shadow. It was always funny to get him to stay in the deep end of the Gamecube Hero Garden pool when I was younger, but I had no clue he was capable of drowning due to the slightly deeper waters of the Dreamcast version's one.
Chao Professor
Motto: It's thinking...

Post by Chao Professor »

Yeah, I always thought that was interesting. It'd be fun to see if Eggman could too, but he's just too damn ginormous.
Image It's still thinking...
azureprism
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: without memes i will die

Post by azureprism »

Are there any mods for any version of SA2 that can alter the hitbox sizes of the playable characters? Might be one way to find out if Eggman is coded to drown.