Tiny Chao Garden DX for PC! [0.3.1]

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 2 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Domobot
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Tiny Chao Garden DX for PC! [0.3.1]

Post by Domobot »

Small update time!
New Feature:
  • Chao Janken is now available! The game plays much like it did on the GBA with a few small changes. Your Chao will react to being hit by your shots, and there's a new bomb shot that can clear a few cards at once!
Bugfixes:
  • Chao doesn't trip over itself multiple times anymore. Special thanks to AmberZeChao!
  • Fixed game crash when importing a Chao after export
Download it here!
Spoiler:

Version 0.2.0 of Tiny Chao Garden DX has arrived! Check it out here!

/!\IMPORTANT NOTE/!\ Before installing and playing this version, please make sure to export your current Chao if you want to keep it! This version WILL wipe your previous save. This shouldn't be an issue in future releases. /!\IMPORTANT NOTE/!\

New Features:
  • The basic toys are now available! Let your Chao doot to it's heart's delight, melt it's brain in front of a TV, or... watch the duck. Yeah, nothing's changed there. However, toy availability is now random- so you won't have to wait 3 hours for that TV. Although, considering the only minigame right now...
  • Name changing is now possible! Just click on the name and give your Chao a deep and meaningful moniker with 7 characters or less. Or give it a random name with control+R!
  • A fancy new options screen! Silly easter egg included.
Changes:
  • The inventory screen has been made a bit livelier, and has some mysterious new tabs. Hmm...!
  • Base rings have been changed to 500. Probably a bit low considering the only minigame available is card match. Hopefully I'll fix that soon enough!
  • Some timers have been adjusted. Special thanks to UltimaNumber555!
  • Special new phrases have been added. These mostly only apply to Chao from outside the TCG though, so try importing one :wink:
  • Monotone and Twotone Chao now have their proper palettes. Note that Shiny Chao currently have no difference in appearance.
  • Old keyboard controls have been removed now that the option screen in a thing- you can still reset your Chao's position with R, however.
  • Adjusted grade, eye, and mouth frequency on new Chao, and should be more balanced in comparison to just handing them out with even chance
Bugfixes:
  • Fixed fruits being unable to be placed in the garden.
  • Fixed being unable to earn more rings if you hit 0. Special thanks to Mandymom!
And that's all! If you try it, please give me feedback- I really appreciate it.
Spoiler:
It's finally time for a test drive of Tiny Chao Garden DX! Download it here!

Current features:
-A single garden with a single Chao, identical to the OG Tiny Chao Garden
-A brand-new inventory system for all your fruits, eggs, and toys [none implemented yet though]. Also includes a hotbar for games- only the card match is available for the moment.
-An expanded stat screen with grades and stat totals
-The ability to import from and export to .chao, allowing full compatibility with SA and SA2 via Fusion's Chao Editor!

Some notes:
-Anything other than a Jewel Chao will appear as a Normal Chao- I haven't made palettes for the other varieties yet.
-Names can't be changed yet. The Chao's name is picked from the same set used in SA2's fortune teller.
-There's no balancing on grades- a SSSSS Chao is just as likely as an EEEEE Chao.
-Mood and Belly timers are definitely too fast
-Some actions still need to be implemented, primarily mood-based ones
-Card match is very easy to cheese, for obvious reasons. Also, you get a bit longer to actually look at the cards- I feel like they flipped too soon in the original games. Also also, no Chao running around yet.
-Press Escape to pause and save
-If your Chao gets stuck somewhere, press R to recenter it. Watch the emotiball lazily return...
-Press S to change the resolution

Lemme know what you think, and if you find anything weird!

10.18.2018- Fixed a tiny bug where you couldn't put down a new egg when the garden was empty. All is as it should be now!
Spoiler:
Hello all! For the past two months or so, I've been working on a clone of the Tiny Chao Garden. It's far from finished, but I thought I'd drop what I have so far here.
This video is a month old, but much hasn't changed in terms of using the garden- mostly in that time I've been working on saving and loading. You can demo it here. Some notes:
  • As there aren't any minigames yet, you can give yourself 10000 rings by clicking the big ring on the sidebar.
  • Chao can't be renamed in-game yet, but you can change it either by exporting the Chao's .ini file, changing it manually, and bringing it back in, or changing chao0.ini directly in the game's files. 7 characters, per the norm.
  • Chao will occasionally freak out by the pool. Pet it to set it straight.
  • Press M to change the music!
  • I made a post about it a while back, but I really, really need the sound effects. If anybody has experience ripping sounds from GBA games, gimme a hand!
Plans for the future:
  • One of the most important things I want to implement is full compatibility with Chao from the PC releases of SA and SA2. This is partly done, but I'm waiting on permission from Fusion to use his format. He apparently hasn't been here in a couple of months, and there doesn't seem to be a way to contact him, so if someone who knows him could get his attention, I'd really appreciate it.
  • Minigames! They'll be a priority once all the basic garden stuff is finalized. My only problem is figuring out what to include, or if I should make something new.
  • This is way in the future, but once this is a 1:1 clone of TCG, I'm gonna set out and make an enhanced version. An expanded garden and multiple Chao are definitely on the list for that!
Let me know what you guys think!
Last edited by Domobot on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:28 am, edited 7 times in total.
Canpaw
Brave Chao
Brave Chao
Motto: I just ate dinner for breakfast!

Re: Tiny Chao Garden... for PC!

Post by Canpaw »

Super sorry for necroposting, but Fusion has all of his contact information in his signature.
Also, this seems super interesting, and compatability with Sonic Adventure 1/2 would certainly require a lot of modding!
a
Rufflikerex
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: I hope to one day see a new official Chao Garden.

Post by Rufflikerex »

Damn... I like this project!
-Random Internet Person.
Domobot
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Domobot »

Canpaw wrote:Super sorry for necroposting, but Fusion has all of his contact information in his signature.
Also, this seems super interesting, and compatability with Sonic Adventure 1/2 would certainly require a lot of modding!
His Twitter, YT, and DA all seem inactive, and his Steam is private. I could try adding him as a friend, I guess...

And thanks. By compatibility I mean just using the .chao format, though, the Chao Editor would still be required. On the pipedream-y side, however, if VisualboyAdvance can connect to Dolphin, it might not be impossible for me to do the same. All things considered, it probably wouldn't be worth it, because how many people would bother emulating the games for the Chao gardens when PC versions are available?
Rufflikerex wrote:Damn... I like this project!
Great to hear!

As far as progress goes, I've kind of slowed down. Mainly I'm stuck on minigames... I've got a simple treasure hunt game together, although it has no graphics currently. Otherwise I'm not sure what to make. What I'd like to do is have something that makes use of a Chao's stats, but I have no ideas! Also, I've put some work into implementing hats, so that's just a matter of getting them drawn up.
ChaoGardenBuster
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: Know both sides of the story before you assume.

Post by ChaoGardenBuster »

Wow nicely done! I planned to make a tiny chao garden once, a long time ago. But it's currently on hold. It seems you've made a lot more progress than I have so good luck! If there is any possible way, I would like to join you in making this tiny chao garden. Perhaps we can merge our ideas and make one big awesome tiny chao garden! I've been struggling making one by myself.
Pratzelwurm
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: I'm a cool kitty cat

Post by Pratzelwurm »

Really cool! I've never owned any Sonic Advance games, so I haven't played Tiny Chao Garden, but if this PC emulator works out then it would be cool to try~
25↑ | he/him | simultaneously dead and alive until observed

:herocool:
The Thunder
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by The Thunder »

How about those Jewel Chao Eggs?
1, 10, 100, 1000, Manjyome!! THUNDER!!
ChrisOfChaos
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by ChrisOfChaos »

Wow that's cool. Unless you've got a DS, GBA, or an emulator there's no way to access the Tiny Chao Garden, so it would be really nice to have a PC version of it. Hope your project goes well.
Sonicjan
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Sonicjan »

What if you make a minigame based on Chao Adventure 1+2 from the Dreamcast's VMU? That would be awesome! :chaohappy: :darkhappy: :herosurprise:
Neo
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by Neo »

Wow, looks amazing :chaohappy:

I was considering making a Chao Garden at one point, I even got a few sprites drawn up for it for it. However, I didn't know where to start :thinking:
I'd love to help this game progress. If you need help, feel free to contact me, be it by PM or on this thread.

=EDIT=

If I'm not mistaken, the icon for the game is GameMaker Studio's, so, you must've made it on GameMaker, right(unless you decided for some odd reason to put GameMaker Studio's icon as the Garden's icon)? I have some experience in GameMaker Studio(you can see a project of mine here(It's on hold currently. Also note that the sound quality isn't the best; my computer isn't exactly the fastest) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEpb1NxyEnY), and I'd love to help in adding in new features and polishing some existing ones in this program.
Jacklack3
Egg
Egg

Post by Jacklack3 »

Awesome! :chaohappy: Would be cool to see Chao Races, also have you tried going the The Sound Resource and getting the sounds from Sonic Advance 2? You might get the sound effects you need.
Domobot
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Domobot »

Hello all! Sorry for the inactivity. Admittedly I haven't worked on this like... at all, in months. Kinda ran out of steam, but I'm feeling the itch to work on it again. Gonna see if I can get something rolling.
Sonicjan wrote:What if you make a minigame based on Chao Adventure 1+2 from the Dreamcast's VMU? That would be awesome! :chaohappy: :darkhappy: :herosurprise:
I've considered it. I actually need to see what they're like in person first, though. I have a Dreamcast sitting in the basement somewhere...
Jacklack3 wrote:Awesome! :chaohappy: Would be cool to see Chao Races, also have you tried going the The Sound Resource and getting the sounds from Sonic Advance 2? You might get the sound effects you need.
I'm not sure how I'd do races in 2D. I have tried that site, yes, but none of their Sonic Advance rips include TCG sounds.
Neo wrote:Wow, looks amazing :chaohappy:

I was considering making a Chao Garden at one point, I even got a few sprites drawn up for it for it. However, I didn't know where to start :thinking:
I'd love to help this game progress. If you need help, feel free to contact me, be it by PM or on this thread.

=EDIT=

If I'm not mistaken, the icon for the game is GameMaker Studio's, so, you must've made it on GameMaker, right(unless you decided for some odd reason to put GameMaker Studio's icon as the Garden's icon)? I have some experience in GameMaker Studio(you can see a project of mine here(It's on hold currently. Also note that the sound quality isn't the best; my computer isn't exactly the fastest) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEpb1NxyEnY), and I'd love to help in adding in new features and polishing some existing ones in this program.
ChaoGardenBuster wrote:Wow nicely done! I planned to make a tiny chao garden once, a long time ago. But it's currently on hold. It seems you've made a lot more progress than I have so good luck! If there is any possible way, I would like to join you in making this tiny chao garden. Perhaps we can merge our ideas and make one big awesome tiny chao garden! I've been struggling making one by myself.
Well hey, I'd love some help and ideas are always appreciated! And yes, it's in GMS.
ChaoGardenBuster
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: Know both sides of the story before you assume.

Post by ChaoGardenBuster »

Cool! Let me know where I can contact you. My Steam IGN is still my username here and the same for discord.
Neo
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by Neo »

Yay :chaohappy:

Let me know if I can contact you if you want some assistance, my steam name is Neocraftz1553, my Discord ID(the little "#" that follows the username) is 4216(The username is the same as my steam name).
Domobot
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Domobot »

I still haven't gotten around to working on things. I was thinking of maybe just starting from scratch, not worrying about making it exactly like TCG... It's a bit limiting.

I was considering something like this.
Domobot
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Domobot »

Looking for some input- how would you guys feel if everything was hand-drawn? I feel like it'd be a lot easier for me than spritework.

Onsokumaru
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: Klaatu barada nikto

Post by Onsokumaru »

Domobot wrote:Looking for some input- how would you guys feel if everything was hand-drawn? I feel like it'd be a lot easier for me than spritework.

Id enjoy Handdrawn art it would be interesting. real shame Ubisoft dont want to provide the source code for the UbuArt engine. You can Also use Waifu2X to upress and denoise your art.
Starry Finita
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: Be yourself!!

Post by Starry Finita »

It's been a while, but have you made any progress during this time?? I'm tired of using an emulator running Sonic Pinball Party just to enjoy the Tiny Chao Garden.
Itachi Uchiha
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: What we see is not always the Reality...

Post by Itachi Uchiha »

Cool! I am currently also working on a Chao Race for PC (made with Game Maker).
It should be finished in a few months. :darkhappy:
If you have Chao, you would like to use in those Races, write me their Stats and Appearence.
Then i will give you a download Link for this Game (for free). :darkcool:

Its a Remake that contains Beginner Race, Juwel Race, Challenge Race, Hero Race and Dark Race.
Challenge Race also has 4 new extra Levels. That means totally 16.
The Opponents have the same stats as in the real Game.
However: I can easily change that, and make them harder!
So when you write your Chao`s Stats you should also write if you want the normal or harder version.

After you have written your Chaos Appeareance and Stats and which difficulty you like, i will put your Chao into my Game.
A few days later i will send you a Download Link for the Game (for free).

I am also planning to make entirely new Opponents. However this will still take some months.
So if you want the version with entirely new Opponents, you have to write this.
Last edited by Itachi Uchiha on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You still do not possess the same eyes as me. And you know what? You never will...! :darkblink: :heroblink:
Domobot
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Domobot »

josedanielsteller wrote:It's been a while, but have you made any progress during this time?? I'm tired of using an emulator running Sonic Pinball Party just to enjoy the Tiny Chao Garden.
I'm afraid I haven't. I felt like with all the other nice-looking fan projects out there, maybe what I was working on wasn't really necessary... I dunno, who thinks it'd be worth it for me to press on?
Sonicjan
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Sonicjan »

Domobot wrote:Looking for some input- how would you guys feel if everything was hand-drawn? I feel like it'd be a lot easier for me than spritework.

A handdrawn Chao game? That would be fantastic! Especially when it looks like the drawings you showed us (a bit more polished of course)! With handdrawings, it could also be easier to make different Chao Evolutions possible (like Dark-fly and so on). I personally would love it and it would be unique, so your work is not unnecessery! As long as you keep up the good work, it CAN't be unnecessery! :chaohappy: :herosway:
Chao Professor
Motto: It's thinking...

Post by Chao Professor »

The concept sounds amazing. I'm with you all the way if you decide to take the project up again! :herosway:
Image It's still thinking...
Starry Finita
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: Be yourself!!

I'm with you guys!!

Post by Starry Finita »

Domobot wrote:
josedanielsteller wrote:It's been a while, but have you made any progress during this time?? I'm tired of using an emulator running Sonic Pinball Party just to enjoy the Tiny Chao Garden.
I'm afraid I haven't. I felt like with all the other nice-looking fan projects out there, maybe what I was working on wasn't really necessary... I dunno, who thinks it'd be worth it for me to press on?
Me!! :chaohappy:
Also, this is off-topic, but I have a feeling that the overuse of smileys is pretty much frowned upon in the forums.
epcthunderfist987
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: They ruined my home!

Post by epcthunderfist987 »

So, is this still in progress? Is it done? or is it cancelled? Please don't let it be cancelled. :herocry:
Crappi's Codec frequency: 149.87

Lyn's Codec frequency: 140.64
Domobot
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Domobot »

I'm back on it, and things are looking better than ever!

I decided to go back to the earlier style- it's a bit easier on me. The past two weeks or so has been a whirlwind of cleaning up intricate spiderwebs of code from that old build and things are running a whole lot cleaner under the hood. There's now a central inventory for fruit, eggs, toys, and games, which will be handy to organize the 4 tiny gardens you'll (eventually) be able to manage. I've got some ideas on tackling minigames, which I hope to get on soon.

Another thing that should become a reality at some point is portability, which the Tiny Chao Garden has always been about. This would be restricted to Android platforms, for reasons. Considering the Play Store's lax management, I could probably sneak the game on there... otherwise it's simple enough to install directly from a PC.

As an extra note, I'm still, as before, in great need of the TCG sound effects. I tried recording them myself but the quality isn't there. If anybody has the know-how (or knows somebody that has the know-how) for digging into a GBA game's sound data, please let me know!