What is every Chao based on? Their Origin?

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 5 years and 11 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
UltimaNumber
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Motto: I'm just a number

What is every Chao based on? Their Origin?

Post by UltimaNumber »

We all know what the Neutral Fly/Fly is based on, the Neutral Run/Run, Dark Run/Run, Light Chaos, Devil Chaos, but what about every other type? I've been very curious of what every Chao type, first and second and even the pre-evolved forms, what they're supposed to be based off of.

Here's what I'm thinking so far, the Neutral Power looks so much like a Viking, so it could be based off of The Lost Vikings, though I've never played that game. The Neutral Normal/Normal, the best I can give it is that it's a reference to what the Chao's colors were originally in SA1 Dreamcast. Most of the Dark Types are just Dark variations of the Neutral and not Hero, but they could be based off something like Neutral Run/Run was Sonic, Dark was Shadow. The Neutral Swim, I have no idea what it could be based off of, it looks so much like a Zora from most Zelda games, or Link himself, but it shouldn't be since they're Nintendo property.

If we could find the origins of each and every Chao, it would be very helpful in describing each type, and we'd learn much more about them! Even just the Newborn Chao itself!
Always happy to see Number and his 12 daughters and 6 sons.

My YouTube stuffs
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Re: What is every Chao based on? Their Origin?

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Isn't Dark/Fly/Fly based off of Reala from the Nights games?

Also, its quite possible most of the evolutions weren't intended to resemble pre-existing characters, and even if they were, there's no reason the designers couldn't have taken inspiration from non-Sega properties(and in fact, a quick Google search informs me that The Lost Vikings was developed by the predecessor of Blizzard and originally released on the SNES before later being ported to the Genesis and other contemporary game systems).
Chao Professor
Motto: It's thinking...

Post by Chao Professor »

Chao are water-based creatures, so I always assumed newborns resemble water droplets.
Image It's still thinking...
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

Yeah I assumed that aside from the obvious ones (Neutral/Run, Dark/Run, Neutral/Fly, Dark/Fly, and Light Chao) they were pretty free in their inspirations. You can see that the evolutions all take color inspiration from the related stat's color: Fly's are purple-ish, Swim's are yellow/green-ish, Run's are green, Power's are red. And evolutions kind of have general form trends, too. Power's are big, Run's are pointy (at least that is how I viewed them) Fly's obviously have the big wings.

And beyond that, the evolutions are really cool subtle accumulations of general design trends- Dark's are dark and spiky, Power's are red and big, therefore Dark/Power has his big spiky cone head, and a reddish-brownish-orangish color scheme. No real answer on why his arms are stripy.

Second evolutions kind of similar cumulative features going on (with obvious exceptions.) Fly as a second evolution generally makes the head point upwards and backwards in some way, while Power makes the head point more straight upwards in some way.

A lot of this could just be me noticing patterns where there are none, but what always did find cool was how stats generally have some kind of identity in Chao appearance.