So, about Sonic Fancharacters...

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 11 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
cinnamonstyx
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

So, about Sonic Fancharacters...

Post by cinnamonstyx »

As embarassing as they are to the fandom at large, I'm pretty sure it's a right of passage into Sonic fandom to have your own "Fake the animal" character, yes?

Can anyone say they've never had some silly fancharacter?

I have, and I feel bad about myself.
eboy's seme
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Re: So, about Sonic Fancharacters...

Post by PinkIceFox »

I have at least 70... probably. I haven't counted in a while.

And I really don't care. It's not like I share them with anyone but my boyfriend so it doesn't matter what other people think about fan characters.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
Aruesso
Accomplished Chao
Accomplished Chao

Post by Aruesso »

i had some sonic fan characters but i got rid of them pretty much
i still kind of have some other fan characters though, mostly kirby rs and some alien frogs
kinda sorta pokemon gijinkas, but that's just a fun thing i do for my own pokemon
but that's about it now
Chaos the Light Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by Chaos the Light Chao »

I purposefully concocted him to be incredibly overpowered so other people would shut up about how great theirs were.
IvoNinja
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Always count your shuriken before you throw them.

Post by IvoNinja »

Very very few. I suck at creating my own characters. Most of them are robots or humans rather than anthropomorphic animals anyway, so in many fan's minds they don't count. I have two fancharacters that are animals- a snake with mechanical limbs and an albino peacock- neither of whom have names.

I'm really bad at coming up with names. E-106 Eta was named by Eggman after all, not by me.
Nobody is everywhere and everybody is nowhere.
SniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktEat your heart out EspioSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSniktSnikt
realtalkingman
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by realtalkingman »

lol i has lotta fan characters... theres flash whos like sonic cept he yello and sometime has big hair like dragon ball z!!!!!also he gotta girlfreind whos named rain bcz shes blue like sonic except shes a mole like amy and she has a sword which she uses to fight eggmans robots :surprise: their best freinds with sonic n flash is actual SPOILER sonics long lost brother OMG
TOMAS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

*looks at sig*

Mine is really more for game hacking purposes though.
flamewarflipsides
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by flamewarflipsides »

There is no shame in creating a non-world-saving Sonic avatar.

There is no shame in creating animal characters in the Sonic universe who in some way serve a story you are writing or a roleplay you are doing.

There is shame in acting like your fan character is SO FLIPPIN AWESOME or A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE, or allowing your fan character to eclipse the canon characters in something you're doing with other people unless everyone involved wants the canon characters in the background.

There is shame in being indignant when people who are annoyed with badly written fan characters are reluctant to pay attention to yours.

There is also shame in basically just recoloring/renaming Sonic so you can pretend to be him. Use your imagination, little hedgehog.
-Tyra
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

Admittedly, the first 4 characters I made up were female versions of Shadow, Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles.

Of course that was nearly 10 years ago and as one would expect as I grew and my writing ability has developed, my characters have evolved to the point where they don't even resemble their old selves physically or mentally.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
quartzlcc
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Check out my pecs!

Post by quartzlcc »

I've had one. He was liked by my friends for his humor, not by his character design. Which is certainly good enough for me! It was fun. But yes, silly and ... I would be out of my mind to go around saying "my fan character isn't noobish like everyone else's. Mine is SOOO much cooler." Ugh.
Wrath of Kinto Q - Chao Roleplay! - Click here!
Pinkolol16
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by Pinkolol16 »

flamewarflipsides wrote:There is no shame in creating a non-world-saving Sonic avatar.

There is no shame in creating animal characters in the Sonic universe who in some way serve a story you are writing or a roleplay you are doing.

There is shame in acting like your fan character is SO FLIPPIN AWESOME or A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE, or allowing your fan character to eclipse the canon characters in something you're doing with other people unless everyone involved wants the canon characters in the background.

There is shame in being indignant when people who are annoyed with badly written fan characters are reluctant to pay attention to yours.

There is also shame in basically just recoloring/renaming Sonic so you can pretend to be him. Use your imagination, little hedgehog.
^This completely.
Chao are still epic. It's like this thing is following a timeline, lul.
So what's up lul.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

uh, hey
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Crash32 »

Dear Loudclaw,
flamewarflipsides wrote:There is shame in acting like your fan character is SO FLIPPIN AWESOME or A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE, or allowing your fan character to eclipse the canon characters in something you're doing with other people unless everyone involved wants the canon characters in the background.

From Crash32.
Neon
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Neon »

I have only made one, and his name was Neon lol.
chaobreedersmh
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by chaobreedersmh »

That was a long time ago and we should never speak of it. Nah, I was never really into the fancharacter thing, but I thought about it once in a while. It never developed into anything. No personality, no background, not even a set look.
flamewarflipsides
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

PinkIceFox, that's not what I was talking about.

Gender and sex are a really important part of characters in our culture. The things a character does mean completely different things if they're male or female.

Female versions of the four characters you discussed would actually be quite interesting, as long as they're explicitly presented as such and one isn't favorably morphed into a self-insert and shifted into the spotlight without deserving it.

I mean, Sonic. Sonic is this fast dude who loves adventure. But would a female Sonic be just as cool to other people? Would she be viewed as less mature for not wanting to settle down?

If a guy chased she-Sonic the way Amy chases Sonic, would we view him the same way? Would we be ok with she-Sonic merely dodging his advances awkwardly and still being his friend? No. We would probably expect her to knock him into next week.

Female versions of the mains who are essentially female versions of the mains and not a self-insert actually make us look at the original characters differently and understand them better as they are. They are a good thing.
-Tyra
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

Thanks Flipsides. :) I never looked at it that way before.
SonicBoom
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Mottoes are overrated

Post by SonicBoom »

I've made only one good Sonic Fancharacter. He isn't even related to the sonic franchise in any visible way at all now. Just looking at him, or even hearing his backstory, you couldn't tell that he was in any way related to the Sonic franchise.
My out of site contact is here
Spoiler:
Hydro wrote:ESS BEE, STOP BEING A STUBBORN LITTLE CRACKMONKEY AND LOOK.
Affected by the Shrubby curse 7 times and counting.
Marine_Chaos_Chao
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao
Motto: That's just Grand-acious!

Post by Marine_Chaos_Chao »

I use to have Fan characters, but I change them to different animals, or get rid of them. I do try not to create new characters, though. I don't want to create characters that won't be used.
'Allo Everyone! I'm Maci-Lena, and I've finally came back...you probably don't care, do you?
I'm a Mephiles fan, and recently an Eclipse fan.
I may decide to do commisions in the future, but for now, CI will be a place to be silly on.
sonic765
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by sonic765 »

i only have 2.
black white blur
Egg
Egg

Post by black white blur »

I have 4, although I dumped the prototype for 1.
I love Dark Chao. Long live Spark, Vader, Flint, Shadow, G.I. Joe, Bruno and Zen Aku.(All of my Dark Chao)
My main site is SEGA forum under the same name.
flamewarflipsides
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

I have plenty, but they're all NPC for a roleplaying game I do with a friend. The worst is probably Curt, who is an attempt to blend elements of Sonic and Shadow through cloning. The thing is, I didn't create Curt to play him, I created Curt for two main purposes: One, to make Sonic, whom I do play, uncomfortable and start thinking about his background and two, to make all the mad science that went on in the game (Sonic and Shadow's origins, Biolizard clones, other genetic manipulation, etc) a bit more real to the player. Curt has since become a morality pet to the Player character (PC), since he's immature, but he's also become an exercise in contrast to Sonic and Shadow.

The cool thing with Curt is that I'm using him to set up the game's nature vs. nurture theme really hard. So Sonic and Shadow both have genetic ties to the Black Arms in my game, but they also have crappy childhoods. Curt has mostly the same DNA as them, but he's been adopted by parents who love him, one of whom is played by the player character. So Curt is a lot more secure about things than either Sonic or Shadow, because frankly he has less reason not to be. However, Curt has a hard time figuring out what to do in really difficult situations or conflicts, and often responds with either too much or too little aggression. This is something I've seen in people who don't have traumatic backgrounds, and not as backed by research as Curt's relative security. Sonic, on the other hand, generally applies the right amount of aggression to a situation, and when he doesn't it's always just a little too much running his mouth.

So TLDR, I used a blatant Sonic recolor to suggest that Sonic's unique personality comes more from his past and experiences than it does from his DNA, establishing an important theme of the RP that is frequently cited by and applied to my player's character. Curt never steals the spotlight from Sonic unless the aim of the scene is lots and lots of cute.
-Tyra
ZeroAlpha
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: ⍟ Prince Dignity ⍟

Post by ZeroAlpha »

I've only had 2 once before, not counting my many chao characters. I'm not interested in making Sonic FCs anymore, but I do like to see others' (non-recolored) FCs. It's interesting to see what others come up with.
sonic765
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by sonic765 »

@ZeroAlpha,i agree with you SO much.except for the no FCs.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Crash32 »

Original the Character

Do not steal.