how fast is sonic?

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 10 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Tails Doll
Master Chao
Master Chao

Re: how fast is sonic?

Post by Tails Doll »

Spending a considerable amount of time on Mobius, I would not be surprised that he understands a bit about seemingly magical things. His work with biological entities, however, has never really spanned past power sources. I'm not really read up on what the Shadow-Androids were, but if I'm not mistaken, Robotnik had access to the original research that was saved from when Shadow was created.
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: Never look at your life as something insignificant.

Post by Snowy »

Offtopic.

Thing= Animal (Sonic)
Person= Human (Eggman)
Note that Sonic is the fastest thing alive.
Eggman is faster on foot. So that would mean Sonic isn't the fastest being alive.

No **** Snowy
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Tails Doll wrote:Spending a considerable amount of time on Mobius, I would not be surprised that he understands a bit about seemingly magical things. His work with biological entities, however, has never really spanned past power sources. I'm not really read up on what the Shadow-Androids were, but if I'm not mistaken, Robotnik had access to the original research that was saved from when Shadow was created.
CoughEarthCough

Taking any advantage of the research conducted aboard the ARK- if, indeed, he actually had access to any, which is never explicitly shown to be true- would have meant understanding it well enough that it could be applied to the androids. Again, that calls for advanced knowledge of biology.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Tails Doll
Master Chao
Master Chao

Post by Tails Doll »

Mamkute wrote:The world just has to accept that playing as something actually traveling at the speed of sound would be kind of disappointing, for the sake of travelling too fast, and not doing much of anything else.
When it comes down to it, the key to a good game is balance. With Sonic's canon speed and powers, on City Escape, he could have easily jumped onto the top of a a building and quickly bulted to the desired destination with ease. A five second game of repetitively jumping from building to building would not make for an interesting game though. That's also why I think they did a great job at balancing Tails and Robotnik in SA2B. Giving them powerful mechs with boosted strength and mobility meant that the gameplay was balanced while still maintaining realistic physical capabilties.

Face it. Robotnik being a playable character in City Escape is none more than a hack. Both his game and canon strength/speed are proportionate to that of a human. All the talk about him being a superhuman is purely hypothetical banter created as an argument against what I proposed. Even still, whether or not he actually has enhanced strength is irrelevant. My argument does not rely on that being a fact.
Xeno
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by Xeno »

I believe Sonic Labyrinth is the only Sonic game in the series that displays a real-world measurement for Sonic's speed. Albeit, the conditions of which it is calculated is solely based on how quickly Sonic can collect three keys and enter the goal portal, rather than clocking in a top speed in a given act. On the act results screen, Sonic can travel at velocities anywhere from 0 to 999 km/h maximum. Unfortunately, Sonic still falls short of the speed of sound, which is 1,236 km/h.
“Life’s not cruel until you put the game controller down.”

This is a little philosophical gem that I said when I was insanely tired.
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

sonic = sound

problem solved everyone can go home now
Tails Doll
Master Chao
Master Chao

Post by Tails Doll »

Ivo, we're both valiant debaters. You and I both know that we could drag this thread down to the hells of off-topic debates without either of us giving up. I'm going to give this one up and if you wish to make it a renowned fact that Robotnik is a souped up supersoldier, then do so. I won't argue against it.

However I still plead the argument of balance. The reason why Sonic can never seem to catch Robotnik is the same reason why Cat Woman can defeat Superman in Injustice. It's not because she's a cryptonian supersoldier. It's because the game wouldn't be fun if it weren't for equality.

I still believe that the comics and TV series are a much better source for information.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Tails Doll wrote: Both his game and canon strength/speed are proportionate to that of a human. All the talk about him being a superhuman is purely hypothetical banter created as an argument against what I proposed.
Smashing cars around like they are made of cardboard in Sonic Riders and out running Sonic on more than one occasion is pretty good grounds to assume Eggman is somewhat beyond normal human abilities. That's not even counting his intellect and penchant for emerging unscathed from things that would kill ordinary people.

EDIT: Very well then.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Tails Doll
Master Chao
Master Chao

Post by Tails Doll »

So nobody has any comments about Sonic's race against that one hotshot driver?
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Snowy »

But that's not game cannon. Almost all the discussion was about Sonic Game Cannon speed.
Last edited by Snowy on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Tails Doll wrote:So nobody has any comments about Sonic's race against that one hotshot driver?
Sonic Underground, Sonic X, etc are NOT cannon. Cannon for a video game character stops at his video games. It does not travel onto animes, movies, or other forms of media (except maybe soundtracks).
Ex: Pokemon. Anime is TOTALLY not cannon because I can't have a pikachu with 10000000000 moves.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Tails Doll
Master Chao
Master Chao

Post by Tails Doll »

Games like these are far too inconsistent for any serious discussion. Arguments can be made either way without any definite outcome.

[Edited in reply to the latest post] Videogames are far too limited to be taken seriously. The true nature of the Sonic characters can not be expressed in a videogame. Whereas with comics and movie series', balance is not really an issue.
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Snowy »

But we aren't talking about how characters are expressing, we're talking about how fast Sonic is. Besides we can have a serious discussion of the games only.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Tails Doll: Even if that were true, the various other media themselves are not always internally consistent, and themselves each offer widely different interpretations of every character, storyline, and setting. The 'true nature' of Sonic in the Fleetway comics is rather different than the one in the OVA.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Snowy »

^ Exactly.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

If gameplay is the issue, we could always examine cutscenes instead. There are plenty of cinematics of Sonic running around.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Tails Doll
Master Chao
Master Chao

Post by Tails Doll »

So then a very easy way to tell his top speed is by looking at Sonic Riders. When off his board, Sonic runs at a top speed of 150mph. I thought I remembered playing or seeing another Sonic game in which the HUD displayed an average speed. I do not remember which game it was though, or how high the Sonic could travel.

I suppose that since Sonic originated in a videogame, and not a show or series, his canon powers (Painfully enough) are decided by his balanced gameplay. It's rather unfortunate. I believed that characters such as comic book superheroes are much better off because they are not limited to the balanced game mechanics of videogames. They can actually be developed in a good setting.

This post was started before Ivo posted.
Ck.
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Ck. »

^^^^^^

he is fast
Current Build:
MSI 760GM-P23FX
AMD FX 6300 @ 3.8Ghz
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO Heat Sink
GSkill Ripjaw 8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
2xSeaGate Barracuda 500GB HDD @ 7200RPM
Sapphire Radeon 7770 GHz Edition GPU
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

While I would never insist that any of the comics or animations are part of the same continuity as the games, I think it fair to say that Sonic X gives the most accurate to source interpretation of characters it borrows from the games, at least as of the time of its original airing in Japan. Regarding the photo finish of Sonic's race against Sam Speed's Rocket Car, consider the following:

-Standard framerate for SD video is 24 frames per second(fps), which is more than enough to give the human eye the impression of fluid motion for most things moving at human speeds.
-600fps is a common framerate for "high speed" cameras, which is likely what was being used to record the finish in said race.

To give a real world example of human eye versus high speed camera:
-The human eye cannot follow the flight of a bullet shot from a gun(typical speed in the mach 1-2 range).
-High Speed Cameras can capture enough detail to track the path of a bullet, though making it visible to the human eye requires slowing the recording down to a more 'normal' framerate.

And for the record, even at 600fps, something traveling at light speed would travel ~ 500 meters in a single frame.

Also, while Eggman's specialty is in Robotics, turning small animals into living batteries without any apparent injury to the animal is on it own a pretty strong indicator that he knows a thing or two about biochemistry, and I daresay such a technology alone might qualify for a Ph.D. Besides, most really smart people, while having one or two areas they specialize in, tend to have an above average level of general knowledge. The fact that normally fights using mega mechs would, however, suggest that he has kept experimentation to boost his own natural abilities to a minimal.
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Sun will rise tomorrow.

Post by Prince Ricard »

now let's discuss acceleration
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I have realized a mistake in my previous post. At 600fps, light would travel 500 km in the span of one frame, not 500 m.
Pic. v2.0
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by Pic. v2.0 »

So kids, the lesson of today is that sonic is a badass.
Twerk

(10:06:43) Pic._v2.0: DUMP BUCKETS OF PISS ON HER WHEN SHE IS SLEEPING
(10:07:02) Pic._v2.0: AND THEN PUT HER HAND IN HOT WATER
(10:07:13) Dr._Roivas: pic is a fan of urine related vengeance
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Prince Ricard »

no one? fine I'll do it
as shown in the end of sonic 2 eggman's acceleration is through the roof
sonics isn't bad but still nowhere near eggman
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

Again, that is another thing I already covered in my post, Titu.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Prince Ricard »

I know but I was sort of hoping someone would go into specifics, a bit past what had already been stated.