how fast is sonic?

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 10 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Re: how fast is sonic?

Post by PinkIceFox »

Normally I won't post Youtube Links. But this is actually relevant to the discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze_uxxFJTvE

(warning, 'mature' language at times)

Have fun kids. *passes out popcorn and soda*
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

I can't watch videos on my laptop, so what does it say?
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

Gimme a minute. Gotta watch it again:

(note this is based fully on game sonic only)

-Basing his height in comparison to Elise, Sonic is 3'7'' or about 1.1 meters tall.
-Comparing his sprite stacked head-to-foot, Act 1 of Green Hill Zone is approximately 236 Sonics long, or 259.6 meters long. The world record for beating Green Hill Zone is 25 seconds. This means Sonic is traveling at a little over 10 meters per second.
-The speed it takes to breaking the sound barrier: 340.29 Meters per second (remember this number kids). Meaning the 'Rolling Around at the Speed of Sound' line from Escape from the City is now nothing but LIES.
-Even wearing his speed shoe power up, sonic won't get anywhere close to breaking the sound barrier.
-(Let's Skip the comparison to Mario. This guy uses a video of comparing female character breast sizes to come up with Peach's height, and then Mario's height to compare his and Sonic's moving speeds)
-Now we move on to Sonic Unleashed (giving sonic benefit of the doubt that he wasn't at his fastest in his first game). At the start of Skyscraper Scamper you're at the limit of the Speed Meter with full ring energy. According to what the game team is showing us, this is Sonic at his absolute fastest. He travels the length of one large building. The narrator knows of a building in New York (his assumed equivalent to Empire City) that is completely identical to the building Sonic runs by. This gives a reference in the real world for numbers. The long end of a City Block is 1/5th of a mile by 1/20th of a mile long. If Sonic were running this length of the building he actually would come close to breaking the sound barrier (he'd be traveling 321 m/s). However, he's running the short end of the block. This means at most he's running around 80 m/s. Yay he's faster than in the first game! But still nowhere close to breaking the sound barrier.
-"But Sonic has the light shoes! Doesn't that allow him to move at the speed of light?" Even I can tell you that the Light Dash moments don't come close to the speed Sonic Travels in that level.
-"But what if Sonic has all the Chaos emeralds and goes Super Sonic?" Even if he's charged up and shot through a speed booster, he's not moving through levels all that much faster than normal Sonic can. And he can't break the 80 m/s speed.
-In short, no combination of Power Up, Booster, and Track can get Sonic to even Half the speed required to break the sound barrier.

Now here's the part I know you're gonna love, Ivo. There is one character in the Sonic games faster than Sonic himself.

Doctor Ivo Robotnik.

-Try as Sonic might, in those cut scenes where Sonic is chasing Eggman on-foot (I dunno how many times he does this in the games. I have never made it that far to see this myself. The footage is Eggman's run to what the wiki calls the 'Death Egg Robot' from Sonic 2.), he never catches the guy. And guess what? Sonic is running at Eggman at full speed when Eggman takes off. Meaning that not only does Eggman run JUST a bit faster than Sonic, but he's going from stationary to top speed in 3/4ths of a SECOND. That's faster than the acceleration speed of the fastest moving car in the world.

In short, Sonic isn't any faster than any other game character. The only thing that makes us think this is the way the games are advertized and the way information is presented to us.

Oh and to XSonicX? The speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s. Sonic is not that fast. So you can stop asking for proof now I just gave it to you. :)
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

"Where's the proof?"
"Guess what? It's a video game. And in video games, science can't prove anything."
But I believe it was requested that you both have proof, while also acknowledging that science has no place in video game analysis, making this entire thread useless.

Not to mention the consequences of anything with mass (which hedgehogs notably have) traveling at the speed of light.
On the topic of actual analysis, I enjoy that. The Eggman thing, although making sense in game-play context, is rather ridiculous. And that happens several times, too. The world just has to accept that playing as something actually traveling at the speed of sound would be kind of disappointing, for the sake of travelling too fast, and not doing much of anything else.
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Sun will rise tomorrow.

Post by Prince Ricard »

Also, if you can manage to get enough speed up, Eggman (on foot) can be faster than sonic in SA2.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

PinkIceFox wrote: Now here's the part I know you're gonna love, Ivo. There is one character in the Sonic games faster than Sonic himself.

Doctor Ivo Robotnik.
YES! VINDICATION!
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

PinkIceFox wrote:Gimme a minute. Gotta watch it again:

(note this is based fully on game sonic only)

-Basing his height in comparison to Elise, Sonic is 3'7'' or about 1.1 meters tall.
-Comparing his sprite stacked head-to-foot, Act 1 of Green Hill Zone is approximately 236 Sonics long, or 259.6 meters long. The world record for beating Green Hill Zone is 25 seconds. This means Sonic is traveling at a little over 10 meters per second.
-The speed it takes to breaking the sound barrier: 340.29 Meters per second (remember this number kids). Meaning the 'Rolling Around at the Speed of Sound' line from Escape from the City is now nothing but LIES.
-Even wearing his speed shoe power up, sonic won't get anywhere close to breaking the sound barrier.
-(Let's Skip the comparison to Mario. This guy uses a video of comparing female character breast sizes to come up with Peach's height, and then Mario's height to compare his and Sonic's moving speeds)
-Now we move on to Sonic Unleashed (giving sonic benefit of the doubt that he wasn't at his fastest in his first game). At the start of Skyscraper Scamper you're at the limit of the Speed Meter with full ring energy. According to what the game team is showing us, this is Sonic at his absolute fastest. He travels the length of one large building. The narrator knows of a building in New York (his assumed equivalent to Empire City) that is completely identical to the building Sonic runs by. This gives a reference in the real world for numbers. The long end of a City Block is 1/5th of a mile by 1/20th of a mile long. If Sonic were running this length of the building he actually would come close to breaking the sound barrier (he'd be traveling 321 m/s). However, he's running the short end of the block. This means at most he's running around 80 m/s. Yay he's faster than in the first game! But still nowhere close to breaking the sound barrier.
-"But Sonic has the light shoes! Doesn't that allow him to move at the speed of light?" Even I can tell you that the Light Dash moments don't come close to the speed Sonic Travels in that level.
-"But what if Sonic has all the Chaos emeralds and goes Super Sonic?" Even if he's charged up and shot through a speed booster, he's not moving through levels all that much faster than normal Sonic can. And he can't break the 80 m/s speed.
-In short, no combination of Power Up, Booster, and Track can get Sonic to even Half the speed required to break the sound barrier.

Now here's the part I know you're gonna love, Ivo. There is one character in the Sonic games faster than Sonic himself.

Doctor Ivo Robotnik.

-Try as Sonic might, in those cut scenes where Sonic is chasing Eggman on-foot (I dunno how many times he does this in the games. I have never made it that far to see this myself. The footage is Eggman's run to what the wiki calls the 'Death Egg Robot' from Sonic 2.), he never catches the guy. And guess what? Sonic is running at Eggman at full speed when Eggman takes off. Meaning that not only does Eggman run JUST a bit faster than Sonic, but he's going from stationary to top speed in 3/4ths of a SECOND. That's faster than the acceleration speed of the fastest moving car in the world.

In short, Sonic isn't any faster than any other game character. The only thing that makes us think this is the way the games are advertized and the way information is presented to us.

Oh and to XSonicX? The speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s. Sonic is not that fast. So you can stop asking for proof now I just gave it to you. :)
I read this entire thing is MatPat's voice
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Tails Doll
Master Chao
Master Chao

Post by Tails Doll »

I'd like to bring up the whole sonic being chased by gun truck deal.

You see, I tend to play SA2B with a gameshark codes. One of the said codes includes an instant acceleration hack which, when pushed, will instantly cause sonic to sprint at the maximum speed that he is capable of running in-game.

I've played city escape with this hack. I'd like everybody to know that during the truck scene, sonic's speed is purposely limited. I can easily push the instant acceleration button and zip through the entire scene within a few seconds.

His speed is limited simply because he's in a videogame. His canon powers are simply too overpowered to make for an entertaining game.
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Prince Ricard »

Despite how fast he may be going, he is still nowhere near the speed of sound.
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by PinkIceFox »

Yeah. That... that was kind of the point of my entire post up there, Titu.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I am going to go with calculated in-game speeds being slower due to the difficulty of making high-speed and platforming work in conjunction and because the developers never expected someone to be bored enough to actually calculate in-game speeds.

And for what it's worth, even in media where Sonic's speed does not have to be confined by gameplay, it is implied that breaking the sound barrier is more of an outright sprint rather than his actual cruising speed.

Does make me wonder what Sonic legitimate top speed in Sonic Advance 2 would be, or how fast the racing machines in game like F-Zero and Star Wars Racer are going.
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Prince Ricard »

PinkIceFox wrote:Yeah. That... that was kind of the point of my entire post up there, Titu.
YOU know that. I know that.
Tails Doll there? Didn't seem to get it.
Tails Doll
Master Chao
Master Chao

Post by Tails Doll »

Bravo, Titu. Next are you going to lecture me about how sonic isn't actually real? I was simply addressing a discussion that was brought up earlier in the thread. Nowhere in my post did I even mention the word "sound". Saying that he's fast is not equivalent to claiming that he runs at the speed of sound.

Putting that behind me. Obviously there are inconsistencies with most videogames involving superpowers. (Note that in the next few sentences I am going to purposely disregard Shadow's existence. It makes for easier writing.) According to PinkIceFox's longest post, sonic is not faster than any other character. However, he is still the only character capable of using light dash, or running from a truck. So if GUN must use a truck to chase Sonic, and Robotnik is faster than Sonic, and is also a normal human being, then that means that all humans are capable of running faster than Sonic. Thus cars are completely useless... except for Sonic because he's the only one who isn't faster than a car... driving at a moderate speed in order to not crash into an apartment complex.

Yet in the Sonic X series, Sonic races against a prototype car that was designed to rival Sonic's speed. The prototype is reportedly the fastest vehicle in existence. During the race Sonic proves that he is much faster than the car, and also has much better handling of his speed than any vehicle is capable of. He is also shown moving at a speed comparable to light, as he can cross the finish line, strike multiple victory poses, then return to the race to finish it at a deliberate "tie" without anybody noticing. At that point, the tape of them crossing the finish line is reviewed, showing Sonic's obvious victory. Take note that the cameras must be capturing footage at a speed much faster than the human eye is capable of detecting.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Tails Doll wrote: According to PinkIceFox's longest post, sonic is not faster than any other character. However, he is still the only character capable of using light dash, or running from a truck. So if GUN must use a truck to chase Sonic, and Robotnik is faster than Sonic, and is also a normal human being, then that means that all humans are capable of running faster than Sonic.
Assuming, of course, that Eggman is actually a normal human being.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Tails Doll
Master Chao
Master Chao

Post by Tails Doll »

I never saw anything that points towards him not being human. Besides, around the time they started including humans in the Sonic videogames, they started making Egg man's build more mild and less comical. I'd assume this is because they didn't want people to think that he wasn't human.
Last edited by Tails Doll on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

^What kind of normal human being has a mustache like that and a body 10x the size of his/her head just in width alone.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Tails Doll
Master Chao
Master Chao

Post by Tails Doll »

His mustache is fake. Even if it were real, he could easily use a form of gel to style it in such a way.

Perhaps you should rethink your proposed measurements as well.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

^Completely ignoring my second part
EvilPinkamina wrote:and a body 10x the size of his/her head just in width alone.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Tails Doll wrote:I never saw anything that points towards him not being human.
Human, yes. Normal? Far from it.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Tails Doll
Master Chao
Master Chao

Post by Tails Doll »

EvilPinkamina wrote:^Completely ignoring my second part
Tails Doll wrote:Perhaps you should rethink your proposed measurements as well.
I did not ignore what you said. You simply didn't realize that I was replying to it. I didn't say much because I expected you to realize that "10x" is a ridiculously exaggerated figure. This size of his head is loosely proportionate to a pot-bellied man. We shouldn't even be having this conversation.
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Prince Ricard »

Oh boy, here we go. You DO understand that Dr. Robotnik is an incredible scientist, right? He could be on like super-steroids or something. Also, nobody doubted that sonic is fast, we have just shown that he is not as fast as they say.
Tails Doll
Master Chao
Master Chao

Post by Tails Doll »

Robotnik specializes in robotics. Simply because he has an IQ of 300 does not mean he even has a clue about bio-anything. But it's understandable that you wouldn't know that. There's nothing about Robotnik's name that would tell you that.
ThisIsTheUltimate wrote: Also, nobody doubted that sonic is fast, we have just shown that he is not as fast as they say.
I am a fast runner. Cream is also fast. So is Robotnik and Knuckles. Where is the relevance in saying that. He definitely isn't slow.

With further inspection, whether or not Robotnik is "normal" appears to be far less relevant than originally proposed. You see, Robotnik himself has been known to drive his own cars. Aside from his hovering cruiser, which has obvious advantages over travelling on foot, he also has been known to travel in car-like vehicles. This however, has absolutely no advantage over walking, at least with the assumption that Robotnik runs faster than Sonic. Thus he must not run any faster than the average human.

This doesn't progress any part of the discussion. It only serves to back up what was previously stated by me, since my argument was challenged.
Last edited by Tails Doll on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Roivas
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: urine speaks louder than words

Post by Dr. Roivas »

Nanomachines qualify as robotics, right?

And if we're allowed to go by Metal Gear logic, Nanomachines will beef the **** out of anyone using them. So maybe Eggman is Nanomachine'd while he's battling sonic.
Capitalism Killed My Once Proud Signature
Tails Doll
Master Chao
Master Chao

Post by Tails Doll »

On the contrary, Robotnik is Mega machined while battling Sonic. He usually relies on a powerful (and rather large) robot to fight his battles for him.

If Robotnik was actually buffed up on anything, we would have been provided with an indication long ago. Rather he is the brains behind a robot that fights for him.

I'm also unfamiliar with the Metal Gear franchise. Is that the origin of Solid Snake?
Last edited by Tails Doll on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

^His plan for the Wisps, his creation of the Shadow Androids from studying Shadow, and his use of small animals as organic batteries would have all required extensive knowledge of biology. Also, he could have simply modified himself with biocybernetics if genetic or steriod enhancement doesn't float your boat.

The fact that he is capable of incredible feats of strength and speed isn't an indication?
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD