If you had to kill off a Sonic shipping permanently...

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 4 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Stormer
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao
Motto: The hybrid ate my homework.
Location: A planet upon which everyone is a horrible person! Including the "good guys"!

Re: If you had to kill off a Sonic shipping permanently...

Post by Stormer »

Can I choose all of them? :thinking:
When someone tries to tell you who to be, don't give in to them, stand for everything that you are!
Darksonicchao3
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by Darksonicchao3 »

yes
I like SADX
Chao Professor
Motto: It's thinking...

Post by Chao Professor »

Shadamy, Sonaze, Silvamy and CreamxTails. I just don't understand that one at all! Yeah, they're friends, but Cream is 6! She's way too young to be paired up with anyone, and I think she looks up to Tails, Sonic and Amy as her older siblings. Strangely, I love Sonamy. It's just....cute!! The eager girl and the reluctant, yet hinting boy ship is just so cool to me. Knuxouge is pretty cool too. Two evenly matched, intelligent frenemies. The perfect ship. :herosway:
Image It's still thinking...
JHock115
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: START DA BUS!

Post by JHock115 »

All the MaleXMale ships like Sonknux and Sonails. Also Shadamy and Silvamy, plus Sonaze. The MaleXMale ships are just kinda weird. I never understood why they were made. Same with Amy and the other hedgehogs.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

In all fairness, Tails is only 8 and would like-wise fall into the "too young" category in the minds of anyone who thinks puberty is a prerequisite for forming non-platonic bonds of affection. Not to mention that, like tails, Cream is mature beyond her years and is the female character closest in age to Tails(Okay, pre-SA1 retcons, Amy was 8, but who ships characters based on their versions pre-SA1?). Also, I'd argue childhood friendship as the foundation for the strongest romances is truth in television.

The male/male pairings exist because Yaoi Fangirls and persumably most gay males would rather see two fictional males going at it than a fictional male and a fictional female.

As for Amy/Shadow and Amy/Silver, in fanverses where Amy's SA1 character development isn't discarded like it was in SA2, it makes sense for Amy to realize Sonic isn't interested and these are the only other options she has for a non-cross-species romance without getting into FC territory.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

^That line of logic makes little sense to me. "Because Sonic isn't interested in Amy, she should hook up with one of the other hedgehogs who also have no interest in her?"
The fact that Shadow is a decades old assassin who works for the military and Silver is a deeply motivated force for justice from the future should negate any kind of romance they would have with almost anyone- least of all with a largely normal preteen girl like Amy. Just thinking about how far removed Amy's whole world is from the day to day lives of characters like Shadow and Silver makes the idea of her having a relationship with either of them extremely bizarre.
I miss the good old days in 2005-2007, when everyone shipped Sonic x Amy, Knuckles x Rouge, and Shadow x Tikal. And nothing else, ever (except from those SatAM/Archie holdouts who still shipped Sally Acorn with Sonic). And the eventual SonBlaze vs SilvBlaze vs SilvAmy debate that came in towards the middle. But besides that there was glorious unity. These days it's all Shadow x Amy, Shadow x Rouge, and Shadow x Sonic and you barely even see the good ships anymore.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I'll agree it's some flimsy logic, but that seems to be the kind of logic that is used to set-up such pairings(Personally, Amy/Tails is my favorite alternative het pairing with Amy, but it's surprising how many Sonic fans seem to have an aversion to cross-species romance despite the majority of the relatively mainstream ships being cross-species(and only a tiny portion of all possible pairings being between characters of the same species).

That said, it would be nice to read some Sonic fanfiction that actually developed some of the high crack pairings in a way that make sense. Hell, it would be nice to read some that develop some of the mainstream/low-crack pairings in a way that made sense! Even if you interpret Sonic andKnuckles' reactions to Amy and Rouge's respective advances as the guys being unsure how to respond, it's a bit of a disconnect from standard SegaSonic characterization for these pairings to go from Amy crushing on Sonic and Rouge flirting with Knuckles to both couples being officially in a relationship without some sort of transition.

Also, Congrats on finally reaching Legendary Status, Ivo!
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

^No joke, Tails x Amy is the first thing I thought of when contemplating an alternative to SonAmy. And does it not make more sense than pairing her off with Shadow or Silver? After all Tails and Amy actually interact with each other outside of saving the world, that's more than you can say about most of the rest of the cast. Of couse I've seen all of two Tails x Amy or Knuckles x Amy fanfics in all my days. But those were great, thought provoking stories. If only more fanfic writers were motivated by something besides teen girl wishfulfillment...

On the note of relationship transitions, for the sake of argument, I would point out that some pairings are inherently less complicated than others when it comes to shifting from the status quo. A pairing like SonAmy is a one step process: Sonic returns the feelings Amy already has. Other pairings demand greater development as a matter of course, and thus feel far more contrived when that development isn't really present.

Also, thank you. Now if we had more silly discussion like this in the Sonic boards, I could rank up faster without having all my new posts be in General Discussion.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD