Who is better and why?Mario Vs. Sonic

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 10 years and 5 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.

choose one.

Mario
25%
Sonic
75%

Total votes: 20

KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Who is better and why?Mario Vs. Sonic

Post by KeatonLabs »

I personally choose sonic.

Mario:Mario is always a great game all and all.However, i get tired of levels that are almost the same design as the previous games and it gets old after awhile.I mean i get bored of the plot and game itself.The music is a nice tune but it gets VERY old and stays its welcome after these years.

Sonic: While sonic has many flaws, unlike mario its always different.It has great soundtracks aswell as originality(except for sonic 4 ew.)And the new hedgehog engine is excellent!Sega has vastly improved with their 3D platforming gameplay since sonic 06 and unleashed.
SilverAndBlaze
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao

Re: Who is better and why?Mario Vs. Sonic

Post by SilverAndBlaze »

I couldn't choose! I love them both.

Luck is just talent spelled backwards. Actually it's not, but it sounded good when I thought of it.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

If we're strictly talking about game quality, Mario has had more commercial success and more consistent commercial success than Sonic. The games overall are more polished and the progression of mechanics are predictable from game to game, while Sonic games fluctuate wildly and can't decide what they want to be. All that said, Sonic games attempt new mechanics while Mario retains uninspired mechanics that make the games feel like a grind. But the new mechanics Sonic introduces are often aggravating. I've lost my rose tinted glasses for both.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
RinaLin
Brave Chao
Brave Chao
Motto: All Toasters Toast Toast

Post by RinaLin »

MARIO!!!

I have been in love with his game for many years. I have beaten almost every Mario game that has ever came out. I just love to play the games, especially Mario party. Those are one of my personal favorites.
~Chocolini The Chocolate Pasta~
"Cause it's easy to ignore, till the walls around you shatter. Nothing seems to matter anymore..."
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

AtomicBat wrote:If we're strictly talking about game quality, Mario has had more commercial success and more consistent commercial success than Sonic. The games overall are more polished and the progression of mechanics are predictable from game to game, while Sonic games fluctuate wildly and can't decide what they want to be. All that said, Sonic games attempt new mechanics while Mario retains uninspired mechanics that make the games feel like a grind. But the new mechanics Sonic introduces are often aggravating. I've lost my rose tinted glasses for both.
This, pretty much. I mean, Mario hasn't been interesting to me since Sunshine, but that was TOO DIFFERENT so people didn't like it. I couldn't really get into Galaxy. New Super Mario Bros. Wii was cute since I hadn't payed a '3D' traditional Mario platformer, but once I got aggravated with it the novelty wore off and I couldn't continue playing it.

Even though I love Sonic, Sonic Generations was the most recent game I've bought. Before that it was the first Sonic Riders. While I love the fact they introduce new characters on occasion, I just don't like the direction Sonic went in. I liked Sonic Adventure 2's level style. This emphasis on crazy speed does not appeal to me at all. Sure, Sonic's fast but I don't remember ever playing any of the games and wanting to race super crazy all over the place. In the genesis games I went slow so I wouldn't run into something and die. Even in generations the speeds were too crazy at times. ._. One wrong move and I'd go flying off the stage into the water.

I'd say they're equals, neither better. If they could both have unique games without aggravating gimmicks, they might be interesting again.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
ZoomZike
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by ZoomZike »

I'm stuck between the two, but I chose Mario because I grew up with those games :chaohappy:
^ Click the banner to go to my awesome YouTube Gaming Channel! ^
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: Never look at your life as something insignificant.

Post by Snowy »

Both,
AtomicBat wrote:If we're strictly talking about game quality, Mario has had more commercial success and more consistent commercial success than Sonic. The games overall are more polished and the progression of mechanics are predictable from game to game, while Sonic games fluctuate wildly and can't decide what they want to be. All that said, Sonic games attempt new mechanics while Mario retains uninspired mechanics that make the games feel like a grind. But the new mechanics Sonic introduces are often aggravating. I've lost my rose tinted glasses for both.

But I still choose Sonic for the poll.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

Im just wondering what game you think is better as a whole.That means level design,originality, mechanics, etc...
The Ice Maiden
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by The Ice Maiden »

Sonic.
Because those games suit me. They get annoying and hard, and that's how I beat them.
But the plots aren't very original :/.

But I also love Mario! It's a fun game, especially the galaxies!
peace out ci
ChaoCake
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by ChaoCake »

Actually, I have not played a Mario game, but from my view so far it seems okay. But I am going with Sonic, he took me to where I am now. I wouldn't of been so confident in myself since I didn't know what to do to carry on (Songs like Live and Learn, and when you think about it, most songs can help out in life.), and I wouldn't know such interesting games. If I didn't meet Sonic I would still be playing Webkinz or something. So I really do thank SEGA for creating Sonic. :sway:
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Snowy »

If the songs helped you, you need to thank Crush 40, BJ, Tony Harnell, etc.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

sonic music helps you in life
what
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Mario because Sonic only has one good game every 5+ years unless the stars align.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Lamby »

Have you played Sonic in a while? The games have been getting critical acclaim since Colors, and at least decent acclaim since Unleashed. It's pretty well accepted the direction Sonic's been taking has really pleased the gaming community, and that pleasure has been increasing every installment, and Lost World has already impressed the gaming community via footage alone. I have no problem with you preferring Mario, but I would have to objectively disagree with your notion there is only a good game every five years. Those complaints ended 6 years ago (with 3 going on 4 good installments since) for many people.
Television romance "
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

^I just didn't think the games were that good. There have been a few games I would glance at, but games like Sonic '06 and Sonic and the Secret Rings kinda put a bad taste in my mouth.
Also, the whole 5 years might have been a bit over the top, but I had to get my point across. Realistically, it'd be more like 2.5-3.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
krzys2
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher
Motto: The key of making chao happy...Is good fruit

Post by krzys2 »

Well I'm not fan of Mario because I don't like his game.When I was small I was playing only sonic games so I choose sonic :chaohappy:
Image Image Image Image
Legends will never die, so will not cookies
XSonicX
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by XSonicX »

Oh please, we all know who's better! *cough*me*cough*
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Snowy »

Pfffttt BAHAHAHA!
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

This is actually a hard decision, strangely not mirroring my first post.

Mario's a great platformer/racing/party/whatever game character, but he's just too linear. Nintendo should try something new to break from the normal algorithm. We've seen the same ? blocks since 1985!

Sonic's slightly linear, too. I mean, I get the idea characters never change, but Sonic's just a bit fast-paced (except for that one Game Gear game).

All in all, I'm sticking with Mario because of past experiences. I'm a Nintendo gamer (although I have a Dreamcast lying around), and I have played the franchise for a long time. Even if I like Sonic, it just feels right to pick Mario.

Just don't buy 3D Cartoon Land: Safari.
Or Lep's World.
Cooky
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by Cooky »

I prefer Sonic, just for the fact that he relies mainly on his own natural ability to defeat his enemies while Mario uses a lot of Power-ups. And besides, a 3 foot tall blue hedgehog that can run at the speed of sound is really cool. :cool:
One day they love us because we're unique. The next we're in jail because we're different
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Lamby »

@eboy: Linearity is the degree a game directs you along the/a predetermined path. When a game doesn't change from one title to the next, it is said to lack innovation. I think you mean that you think Mario and Sonic should innovate more.

Mario does have the writing advantage: it has simpler, but more concise characterization. SegaSonic tends to slap down personality archetypes and call it a day.
Television romance "
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

ChaoCake wrote:If I didn't meet Sonic I would still be playing Webkinz or something.
i

what
XSonicX
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by XSonicX »

Cooky wrote:I prefer Sonic, just for the fact that he relies mainly on his own natural ability to defeat his enemies while Mario uses a lot of Power-ups. And besides, a 3 foot tall blue hedgehog that can run at the speed of sound is really cool. :cool:
*adds you as a friend*
Gondi
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Gondi »

This is probably one of the most biased placed you could have a poll like this
The Shadic Chao
Accomplished Chao
Accomplished Chao
Motto: If you've been stabbed, then someone probably hates you
Location: In the chao garden, stopping my baby chao from going in the water

Post by The Shadic Chao »

Sonic.
At least he could go one game without going through Green Hill Zone.
teh steamz
LEVEL 42 FISH: im not fish my name is russel jimmies
Crash the Spooky Scary Skeleton: are you a monkey by any chance?
LEVEL 42 FISH: no i am a fish