Who is better and why?Mario Vs. Sonic

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 10 years and 5 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.

choose one.

Mario
25%
Sonic
75%

Total votes: 20

Sonina Hedgoose
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Re: Who is better and why?Mario Vs. Sonic

Post by Sonina Hedgoose »

*Hides behind a shield*

Okay gamewise, Mario dominates. Sorry, but Sonic games lost their magic for me after SA2. While Mario has yet to let me down.

Main character-wise Sonic is cooler. If the two hung out, I could picture Sonic pushing Mario's buttons and running off before the plumber could fireball him.

Sonic also has better villians. Especially if you include the ones in the comic. All Mario has are Bowser and his kids. Plus many of the extras only appear in spinoff games. When will Luigi save Daisy???

Sonic also seems to have better characters (once again including the comic) you get more of a feel for his world.

And story-wise (not including the newer games) Sonic is better. Besides the rpg games, Mario is the same thing over and over again.

Mario has way better voice actors though me-thinks. Sonic's are usually okay, but sometimes they sound off (like in 06)

But I am a big fan of both and would love to see them together in a non spinoff game.
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: Never look at your life as something insignificant.

Post by Snowy »

*Cough*After Sonic Heroes.*Cough*
MoonDancer
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao

Post by MoonDancer »

Sonina Hedgoose wrote:*Hides behind a shield*

Okay gamewise, Mario dominates. Sorry, but Sonic games lost their magic for me after SA2. While Mario has yet to let me down.

Main character-wise Sonic is cooler. If the two hung out, I could picture Sonic pushing Mario's buttons and running off before the plumber could fireball him.

Sonic also has better villians. Especially if you include the ones in the comic. All Mario has are Bowser and his kids. Plus many of the extras only appear in spinoff games. When will Luigi save Daisy???

Sonic also seems to have better characters (once again including the comic) you get more of a feel for his world.

And story-wise (not including the newer games) Sonic is better. Besides the rpg games, Mario is the same thing over and over again.

Mario has way better voice actors though me-thinks. Sonic's are usually okay, but sometimes they sound off (like in 06)

But I am a big fan of both and would love to see them together in a non spinoff game.
For me,Sonic never lost the Magic. Infact, I think Sonic still gives me a Nostalgic feel.
I know no one asked,but I just thought I'd say it.
Image I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a Freak. So I've been a Freak all my Life and I have to live with that,you know. I'm one of those people.
Sonina Hedgoose
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Sonina Hedgoose »

@SnowyTimeHero yeah Heroes was actually fun. I just wish there was more of a story. (So much potential with Metal Sonic argh!)

And everyone's entitled to their opinions. I have a friend who defends the newer games to death. It's kind of fun to "argue" over. I also have friends who think Mario lost the magic after 64, it's fun to "argue" with them too!
loveheartrose
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by loveheartrose »

I like them both, but sonic takes the cake.

Sonic:He's speedy, has different level designs each game, has other games which are not based on him, has different styles of his sprite but he is too cocky for his own good.I see this as a bad thing because if he was too cocky, he would be arrogant.

Mario: Yeah sure, he is a hero but the storyline is nearly the same each time, has barely any games that do not include him and his so called stages are nearly always the same; run through the stages and rescue the princess.
Chao are epic!
Hoarding round you,
All of them!
On pictures,poems and pixels!
Yukki
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Motto: Cupcakes are evil.

Post by Yukki »

This shouldn't even be an argument. Sonic dominates all.

I'll justify this because I read through the posts and nobody seems to pick out the original Sonic Adventure. Oh my cheeses, did we all forget the wonderfulness of this masterpiece?

Must I remind you all of this miracle that was granted to us by Sega?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E71YqXXQoUU <-- I'll pull out the opening, your very welcome
~Open your heart It's gonna be ALL RIIIIIIIIGHT YEA!~

Sonic's games are very unique, especially the older ones like the ORIGINAL SA. The levels aren't repeated, each character has their own personality and story, and you can friggin' play as people other than that blue blur in most of the games.

This destroys Mario because for one, Mario may be the famous plumber, but over his history they just can't keep his career consistent. One time he's a plumber, others he works at a cement factory, then there's him being a party host, and then we have the doctor. Secondly, the only goal in Mario is to save the princess (& world if you're talking about the Galaxy series.). But over time that's the only plot the Mario series gives. The stages are the same over and over again, and the storyline goes the same way. Mario & Peach are having a good time until Bowser/minions appear and kidnap the princess. Mario then goes on an 'adventure' to save the princess. Mario beats Bowser and saves Peach. The end. Thirdly, the courses get boring and annoying and are constantly repeated. There's no taste of adventure unless you talk about 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxies. But even so there's very little exploration asides from Sunshine. Sunshine is good to a certain extent, but when you've found out everything there is to the game there's nothing to do.

Sonic, on the other hand, has a brand new story, brand new courses, and completely unexpected plot twists. Sonic Adventure gave you a precious memory of fun, excitement, and challenge. But the games did go a little downhill around the time when Sonic Unleashed came out, but just recently they have been improving.

If you haven't guessed already, I'm on the blue hedgehog's side.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

To be fair, you can't really compare a series that isn't focused on writing to a series that is. Mario is a game-play centric series. Plot is purposely tooled for familiarity or inane situations because it isn't important and the developers are always open about this, and while some fans consider Sonic plots to be irrelevant, the fact Sonic plots push themes suggest the developers intend writing to be taken seriously. But even if you considered the two series writer equals, Sonic's plots are consistently mediocre, what with stock characters, poor character development, and predictable or cliched plotlines. Just because something is different or more complex doesn't necessarily mean it has better quality. Recently though, Sonic's writing has been striking slightly better balance.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: Never look at your life as something insignificant.

Post by Snowy »

Agreed.