How about Silver the Hedgehog?

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.

Opinion on Silver?

One of my favorites.
36%
I like him.
21%
I don't necessarily care about him.
36%
Dislike him.
7%
How dare you mention this disgusting monstrosity to me?
No votes

Total votes: 14

ChaoCake
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

How about Silver the Hedgehog?

Post by ChaoCake »

I keep seeing polls about "sonics worst enemy" and such, and I never really seen much chat about Silver despite the perfectly blank canvas I see on him, however if there is already something like this, link me to it please. Commenting reasons would be nice too, just searching for opinions.I keep seeing the fandom not truly liking Silver that much, so I feel like I know the answer to this.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Re: How about Silver the Hedgehog?

Post by Ivogoji »

Silver suffers from being introduced in a title that is widely considered to be the worst Sonic game in history and not making a whole lot of prominent appearances since his debut. To make matters worse, the recent trend in the series has been to put aside the franchise's huge cast in favor of focusing just on Sonic, Eggman, and Tails, a trend that so far seems to be part of what's winning the crowd over.

I think Silver is a good character with a lot of storytelling potential, but unless he shows up in a game where he gets to take center stage again, I doubt he will ever have a chance to shine. Other characters like Shadow- who has better odds of getting a prominent story role once again- or Blaze- who is basically the star of the Sonic Rush games- are more likely to make upswings in popularity than Silver.

Consider for a moment: Silver comes from the future. The future can be an exiting place where lots of adventures can take place. Yet most games are just going to focus on Sonic's time period and the characters who live there. Sonic Chronicles didn't feature Silver, it didn't have a strong justification to use his setting. Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity had him as an unlockable character, but like the previous Riders game the story focuses on Sonic's time and place, with no opportunity for dragging Silver into the main action. Same deal with the third Riders game. Secret Rings and Black Knight had Silver appear in multiplayer, but the storyline still focused on versions of the other characters instead. Despite Generations having all kinds of time travel stuff, Silver didn't get any more screen time than the other characters, as it was an anniversary game and they had to make room for everyone equally. When Sonic Boom was conceived, only the core cast of Sonic, Eggman, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy was considered for redesign- etc, etc.

Silver is just too divorced from the core cast to get the coverage he needs to make an impact on Sonic fans.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Post by CitrusCat »

Nah, I think Silver's cool! I like his design, and even though he was introduced in a really bad Sonic game, that doesn't mean he's a terrible character.
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

He spent too much time smoking the weed that is his hair to become relevant. AND THATS NO GOOD
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Ivogoji wrote: Despite Generations having all kinds of time travel stuff, Silver didn't get any more screen time than the other characters, as it was an anniversary game and they had to make room for everyone equally.
Less, even. He and Shadow only appeared as rivals for mini-boss battles (same with Sonic CD Metal Sonic), whereas all the other characters had much more screentime. Though, he is the only mini-boss out of the 3 who, through his dialogue, considered battling Sonic more of a friendly sparring match than an actual rival battle.

That being said, even though I like Silver, he really doesn't have much potential. He's literally Trunks from DBZ except he wasn't born from other characters in the STH universe, so he has no way of being integrated into a plot without the plot itself becoming dumb time-travel ****. Sonic Rivals 1 and 2 did it okay, I guess.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

It's not that hard to justify Silver appearing in a game's story; it's just difficult to make a game that focuses on Silver without re-hashing Next Gen or the Rivals games.

The best route would be to have a game for Silver like Sonic Rush Adventures is for Blaze, where Sonic leaves his own world to explore Silver's time period and the other hedgehog gets to share the limelight. There doesn't need to be any overly complicated time travel wonkyness, Sonic just needs to jump to the future for about 8 stages, then he can defeat Eggman Nega or whatever and go home.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

I don't even know much about Silver, I only know he has cool powers, is another hedgehog character that was apparently evil?? and had a thing for Blaze or something. I don't really care about Silver, his voice actor is pretty terrible though.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Palmpoa Commander
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Palmpoa Commander »

Silver suffers from being a gimmick in a game that never needed him.Nothing about the character make sense in a Sonic Game. His story is contrived, and he is both whiny, stupid. His voice actor is bad in both languages. His lines are poorly written and delivered.

His design is also stupid as well. Unlike previous sonic adventure titles, whose differing gameplay was freeflowing and relatively unobtrusive, Silver's is anything but. He's incredibly slow in a game that is already sluggish, and so are all of his moves. Picking up objects is unreliable and broken. While it can be accomplished on the run, many times Silver must stay still for fear of destroying, losing, or failing to pick up the objects he wants. All of his other actions are accomplished by standing on obnoxious sigils, holding a button. Fighting a robot or alien or whatever is exactly the same as picking up an object. Now tie in the already infamous instability of the game and its core mechanics and you have the most annoying character of the three. Even playing segments as Amy was more enjoyable.

He hasn't improved in any capacity since then because no subsequent title has ever featured him as playable. In other words, he is garbage.
Last edited by Palmpoa Commander on Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

future trunks the weed hedgehog
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Telekinesis in a puzzle platformer sounds like a cool gameplay mechanic provided it was properly executed, and as I understand it, the only game where Silver is both playable and his Telekinesis is seen in gameplay didn't execute anything properly. Then again, it took a few games focusing on Sonic alone to give Sonic's gameplay the polish it deserves, and if they did another game with multiple playable characters with unique play styles, it would probably make more sense to make Telekinesis an application of Shadow's Chaos Powers than shoe horning in Silver as an extra playable character.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed Silver in Rivals 2, though I'll admit that game didn't do a good job of making characters unique and wasn't all that memorable story-wise(then again, Sega Sonic has never been great at story telling).
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Personally I just find Sonic Rivals 2 as fun because it's basically another 2d Sonic platformer game, but with permanent multiplayer ala Sonic Rush's multiplayer (which, looking back at it, makes me upset that Blaze wasn't playable). Also the battle mode was pretty fun.

Silver's psychokinesis could definitely be a fun platformer mechanic, as long as it isn't solely made to show off the new physics engine.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

A big issue I had with Sonic Colors was how much all the highspeed gameplay made finding hidden stuff difficult; the game is always launching the player towards the finish line, and trying to slow down to check out the stage often messes up trick chains. If there was a game where Sonic and Silver shared the same stages, but Sonic's gameplay focused just on doing tricks and taking out chains of enemies while Silver's gameplay focused on exploration and puzzle solving with his telekinesis, with different paths through the level open to each character, that would be pretty sweet.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Giara
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Giara »

Silver is my favourite hedgehog :chaohappy:
sorry if my english sucks :herocry: