Today's the day.

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Today's the day.

Post by retrolinkx »

Merry Birthmus, Sanic. 25 years today since the game was released.

Since this site seems to have some affiliation with Sonic and Sega (I know right?) I thought I might as well make a thread for some discussion purposes along with some questions just for fun.

First Sonic Game?
Favourite Sonic Game?
Least Favourite Sonic Game?
Favourite Spin Off? (Spinball, Tails Adventure, Sonic Shuffle etc.)
Least Favourite Spin Off?
Game with best music?
Game with best stages?
Superior Comic Book? (Archie, Sonic the Comic. Not sure if there are anymore)
Superior Cartoon? (Satam, Underground, Boom, X, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog)
Will Sonic ever be great again?
Anything else you feel necessary?

There, that should pad out a thread right?
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Re: Today's the day.

Post by Mamkute »

I started playing Sonic with my brother, as Tails in Sonic 2, Sonic 3, & Knuckles.
I was something less than 5. And Sonic Mega Collection got me and my brother playing again, still very young, and eventually me on my own. I have also put a huge amount of time into Sonic Adventure 2, and some less into Sonic Adventure.

Even if I have not been happy with a Sonic game since Heroes (and less happy than I was with previous entries) Sonic has had huge impact in my gaming. It was probably my first video game experience ever.

Favorites are either SA2B or S3&K. It's hard to decide. Least favorite that I have played would be Advance 2 or Advance 3, probably. I have not played many newer ones.
I don't have much opinion on cartoons or comics (although I know my brother does.)

And I most definitely believe Sonic can be great again, but I am pretty pessimistic on if it will. Sad.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Hmm.. Let's see here:

My first Sonic game can't be pinpointed. I was born in a time where the GameCube had Sonic Mega & Gems Collection, SA1 & 2, and Heroes.
And I had brothers who already got those games.
Mamkute wrote:Favorites are either SA2B or S3&K.
My least Favorite Sonic game is definitely Sonic Heroes. There is very little I see redeeming about that game. Worse than '06 and Rise of Lyric (and 3D Blast) if you ask me.

My favorite Spin-off is Tails Adventure(s) (Which I haven't beaten yet). Gotta love that Metroidvania gameplay (AND THE SEA FOX MUSIC). (It also has an editing tool now which is pretty cool.)

Least favorite is Labyrinth. There's even only one good song.

COLORS BEST MUSIC. And the Adventure games, CD (Both), and Rush Adventure. If it counts, Sonic 3 Complete's PC music is also up there.

Best Stages, kind of goes straight back to Adventure 2 and 3&K. Having the best "physics" in a certain style automatically makes the levels' design better.
As for the actual appearance of them, Sonic Adventure 1 is what I'd probably say is the best.

Superior Comic Book? I actually don't know. Worlds Collide was great though.

Sonic Boom is the best Sonic TV show hands down (and my overall favorite show ever). At a distant 2nd, there's Sonic X, which I didn't feel started picking up until Season 3/Series 2.
If The Movie counts, it'd be right inbetween.
Mamkute wrote:And I most definitely believe Sonic can be great again, but I am pretty pessimistic on if it will. Sad.
why can i just quote mamkute to give my answers

Also Sonic Adventure 2 was released on the 23rd. Which means this is Shadow's birthday too.

Spoiler:

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

yesterday morning I listened to Open Your Heart as the day rolled over to the 23rd in Japan. I also showered and chose a Sonic shirt to wear. for some reason, I'm happy :herosway:
retrolinkx wrote:First Sonic Game?
too young to remember! could've been: Sonic R (PC), Sonic 2 (PC, Sega Smash Pack 2), Sonic 3 & Knuckles (PC), or Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast).
Favourite Sonic Game?
Sonic Adventure <3333
I never got very far in Advance 3 and didn't really enjoy it. same thing goes for 06
Sonic Riders, it's really fun. Sega All Stars Racing is fun too. and I enjoyed Sonic R a lot as a kid... maybe just the racing games in general?
Rush Adventure
Game with best music?
see here
Game with best stages?
SA2 Sonic/Shadow stages are pretty enjoyable
I've only read bits and parts of Archie
Superior Cartoon? (Satam, Underground, Boom, X, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog)
juice and jam time
only time can tell, at the very least we'll have the older games to replay I guess
chao
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Happy birthday Eggman

First Sonic Game- Sonic Advance
Favourite Sonic Game- Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Least Favourite Sonic Game- Sonic 2 Game Gear
Favourite Spin Off- spin off is a super vague category but I'm gonna say either Chaotix or Tails Adventure
Least Favourite Spin Off- Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Game with best music- Sonic CD
Game with best stages- S3&K
Superior Comic Book- Sonic the Comic
Superior Cartoon- tch, the OVA of course!
Will Sonic ever be great again- sure
Anything else you feel necessary- Everyone who didn't give Eggman a present will be turned into a robot slave.

Also I'm amazed anyone could dislike Sonic Advance 3. It's easily my favorite handheld title in the series besides Sonic Battle.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

First Sonic Game - Sonic 1
Favourite Sonic Game - Sonic CD
Least Favourite Sonic Game - Sonic Labyrinth
Favourite Spin Off - Knuckles' Chaotix
Least Favourite Spin Off - Sonic Drift
Game with best music - Sonic CD
Game with best stages - Sonic Adventure
Superior Comic Book - Archie
Superior Cartoon - OVA
Will Sonic ever be great again - imo it never exactly stopped being great in one way or another
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

retrolinkx wrote: First Sonic Game?
Sonic 2
retrolinkx wrote:Favourite Sonic Game?
Tie between both Gamecube Sonic Adventure games
retrolinkx wrote:Least Favourite Sonic Game?
Shadow the Hedgehog. The ****** last stages have such ****** ******** contact detection platforms it makes me want to vomit.
retrolinkx wrote:Favourite Spin Off? (Spinball, Tails Adventure, Sonic Shuffle etc.)
Sonic the Fighters

retrolinkx wrote:Least Favourite Spin Off?
Sonic Shuffle, it could've been so much more than what it was
retrolinkx wrote:Game with best music?
Sonic '06
retrolinkx wrote:Game with best stages?
Sonic Generatinos

retrolinkx wrote:Superior Comic Book? (Archie, Sonic the Comic. Not sure if there are anymore)
archie cause cross megaman
retrolinkx wrote:Superior Cartoon? (Satam, Underground, Boom, X, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog)
Boom, it's the only one that can hit well with all audiences and is relevant. SatAM and AoSTH are both great but SatAM is outdated cause of its story and AoSTH is very clearly targeted only at kids with very few non-child moments, though I loved the **** out of it as a kid.
retrolinkx wrote:Will Sonic ever be great again?
The series certainly has the potential, and Sonic Generations proved that the team is competent enough to produce a good Sonic game.

retrolinkx wrote:Anything else you feel necessary?
How about "game that had the most potential?", in which case I'd say Sonic Heroes because if it had more levels and got rid of the team system and the 4 exactly the same story modes, it'd be much better than the Sonic Adventure games. If Sonic Team stops innovating for the sake of innovation, I can definitely see Sonic becoming huge for having good games again in as short as 5 years time.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: Never look at your life as something insignificant.

Post by Snowy »

retrolinkx wrote:First Sonic Game?
My dad's copy of Sonic Heroes
retrolinkx wrote:Favourite Sonic Game?
To be completely honest, it's a tie between Sonic Heroes and Ow the Edge.
retrolinkx wrote:Least Favourite Sonic Game?
Sonic 06.
retrolinkx wrote:Favourite Spin Off? (Spinball, Tails Adventure, Sonic Shuffle etc.)
It's a three way tie between Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, and Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.
retrolinkx wrote:Least Favourite Spin Off?
Sonic Labyrinth. Holy crap.
retrolinkx wrote:Game with best music?
Sonic Heroes, Sonic Riders 2, Adventure series, Colors, Generations (even thought that's every game...)
retrolinkx wrote:Game with best stages?
Sonic Heroes takes it imo.
retrolinkx wrote:Superior Comic Book? (Archie, Sonic the Comic. Not sure if there are anymore)

Archie
retrolinkx wrote:Superior Cartoon? (Satam, Underground, Boom, X, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog)

They're all kind meh. But since I have to choose, X. **** Chris tho'.
retrolinkx wrote:Will Sonic ever be great again?
I HOPE SO. If the developers get their **** together they can make another streak of good games.
retrolinkx wrote:Anything else you feel necessary?
IF THEY DON'T MAKE GOID GAMES I HOPE THEY AT LEAST RERELEASE SOME PS2 GAMES ON NEWER CONSOLES BECAUSE PLEASE I NEED THOSE IN MY LIFE AGAIN *cough* Also, more Metal Sanic in the future pl0x.
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Post by ShadriaFan »

First Sonic Game? Sonic Advance 3, however I didn't really get into Sonic until I obtained SA2B 4-5 years later. Ironically I first picked SA2B up cause it was in a Mario Kart case. I wanted Mario Kart but got a game I ended up loving much more than I would a kart racer.. :herosway:
Favourite Sonic Game? SA2B
Least Favourite Sonic Game? Sonic Drift 1 and 2
Favourite Spin Off? (Spinball, Tails Adventure, Sonic Shuffle etc.) Sonic Chronicals: The Dark Brotherhood
Least Favourite Spin Off? Tails Adventure (I liked the plot and the characters, but I couldn't handle the gameplay..)
Game with best music? Sonic Generations
Game with best stages? SA2B
Superior Comic Book? (Archie, Sonic the Comic. Not sure if there are anymore) I haven't read any, but Archie Sonic is one I want to read from the beginning..
Superior Cartoon? (Satam, Underground, Boom, X, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog) SatAm, definitely!
Will Sonic ever be great again? I think Sonic's still great..(lets just not speak of '06 or Boom...)
:herosurprise: HAPPY BIRTHDAY :surprise: SONIC! :darksurprise:
Last edited by ShadriaFan on Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: bupsting makes me feel good

Post by Pentagrami »

First Sonic Game?
Sonic Advance, one of the first games I ever got. My dad got me a GBA SP because my cousin gave me his copy of Pokemon Blue but I didn't have a console yet and along with it he decided to buy me some games of my chosing. He was EXTREMELY reluctant towards getting me Sonic Advance because he thought the "Advance" in the title meant it was for experienced players and thus not fit for me to start up with.

Favourite Sonic Game?
RUSH Adventure don't judge me

1 because I am extremely bad at it for some reason

Obviously Mario & Sonic olympic games

Dark Brotherhood. I only liked the Chao Garden and the 2 new Gyzoids. I like Gyzoids.

Game with best music?
SA2

Game with best stages?
I personally really like all the stages in the Advance series but that could be nostalgia

um?? why is this a question when the only answer is mechanical penguin's sonic comic

Underground

Boy, I've been playing Lost World and let me tell you it /is/ pretty damn great. I was pleasantly surprised, really nice and fresh new characters, absolutely great level design, fitting music. I guess its similar to colors in the transition between 2d and 3d gameplay within stages not to mention the wisps are actually in there but I find that to be a really nice direction. My only complaints are that boss battles have been slightly underwhelming, at least to the point im at now, and that the homing attack targeting seems a bit clunky but the way it works also provides a very nice level of challenge in regards to timing while facing even common enemies and trying to follow alternate paths so even if it doesn't work out some of the time it is a mostly enjoyable mechanic. As long as the next non-Boom game follows a similar path I think Sonic's going in a pretty great direction.

wisp garden
im jimmy pentagrami aka grami
firetruckz 2 hes bac wrote:Ghostbupsters
when will dilen come back from the war???......
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

Ivogoji wrote:Also I'm amazed anyone could dislike Sonic Advance 3. It's easily my favorite handheld title in the series besides Sonic Battle.
Maybe I am unfairly putting my displeasure with Advance 2 onto it. I have played Advance 3 much less than Advance 2 (which I played a lot for the purposes of Tiny Chao Garden, even though I did not like the main game. It was way too much of holding right, and then getting hit because you didn't predict the course.) I should probably give Advance 3 another try.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

The three Advance games have insanely different level designs, and SA2's levels are probably the most different of the three, being very heavily focused on speedrun gameplay moreso than platforming. Definitely give Sonic Advance 3 another try. Really, the only thing that makes it any worse than the other 2 is there being no TCG, which is honestly a pretty big detriment. Otherwise it's probably the most solid of the 3 games, especially when it comes to how the partner system is done.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

retrolinkx wrote:
First Sonic Game?
sonic 2
Favourite Sonic Game?
sa2
sonic 1
Favourite Spin Off?
sonic riders zero gravity whatever, i'm older than all of you, so you'd expect something older but no, super this
sonic shuffle
Game with best music?

sonic 2 or sa2 idk but objectively probably cd
Game with best stages?
that's hard because stage design really is the worst aspect of sonic games particularly pre dreamcast games. i probably would say sa2, generations, maybe shadow because while it's a bad game a lot of the stages were interesting in theory
Superior Comic Book?
archie by far, have every publication to date
Superior Cartoon?
they're all pretty bad, can't stand adventures or sonic x, underground is just another generic oddball 90s action cartoon (all we had back then) with sonic slapped in it, SatAM was sophisticated for it's time, but it was quickly outpaced by comics; and Boom is a cleverly written children's comedy. objectively boom, but i'm going to say SatAM because i was like just old enough to see it when it was new also antoine what a cutie
i don't think sonic ever was anything but average to mediocre. even as a kid i knew sonic was basically what you were stuck with if you only had sega systems (poor man's whatever nintendo and then sony were doing). i didn't even really get into it until sa2 was rereleased as sa2b, then kinda lost interest after the first two riders games and didn't play one until generations to which i lost interest again with lost world on.

archie sonic is still pretty great
i hope the next game ignores nintendo and supporting their technical inferiority and makes another game as solid as generations
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

in case CI starts to die again, I just wanted to say that I got a sonic ice cream on the 23rd.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

^Good work. It would be a disaster if we never knew that.

On a related note, I have a Sonic hat.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Skonia
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao
Motto: Vugzahd, rei ahrk storniik.

Post by Skonia »

First Sonic Game? - sonic 2 for the game gear. despite the glaringly difficult antlion, we played it when we were a wee baby and the only fun thing was going FAST.
Favourite Sonic Game? - sa2b
Least Favourite Sonic Game? - i remember sonic advance 3 had a lot of irritating level designs and not so great aesthetics. we didnt flat out hate it but it just wasnt as fun.
Favourite Spin Off? (Spinball, Tails Adventure, Sonic Shuffle etc.) - i dont really know whats a spinoff and whats not and i havent played any of the examples besides spinball, but spinball wasnt that great besides the music so
Least Favourite Spin Off? - see above
Game with best music? - im torn between sonic 3d blast, sa2b, and sonic generations.
Game with best stages? - sa1
Superior Comic Book? (Archie, Sonic the Comic. Not sure if there are anymore) - not really into the comics but archie is good yeah
Superior Cartoon? (Satam, Underground, Boom, X, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog) - never really watch any of them
Will Sonic ever be great again? - i hope so
Anything else you feel necessary? - don't worry buddy
y'all...
Image Image Image
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

First Sonic Game? i think it was either mega collection or advance 3. either way i loved it
Favorite Sonic Game? definitely adventure 2, if not for its rather forgettable story
Least Favorite Sonic Game? sonic 06 is relatively bad out of the games that i've played. i mean at least i could get the hang of playing it
Favorite Spin Off? sonic rush!!!
Least Favorite Spin Off? sonic jump fever
Game with best music? sonic rush
Game with best stages? sonic adventure
Superior Comic Book? i haven't read any
Superior Cartoon? honestly i think boom is a pretty neat show, unlike what the rest of the internet says. i thoroughly enjoyed it
Will Sonic ever be great again? eventually sega will figure out what they need to do and stick with it. at least they're experimenting
Anything else you feel necessary? i'm sonic. click on me for help