Controversial opinion topic

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 5 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Controversial opinion topic

Post by Ivogoji »

The success of Generations and Mania over games like Lost World and Forces will make the series' reliance on nostalgia with ever decreasing innovation worse.

The storybook games and Rush need third installments.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Controversial opinion topic

Post by chaoadventures »

Advance 3 wasn't good.

Didn't we have another topic like this one somewhere? I feel like I've said this before in mostly the same context.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I felt Colors DS was basically Rush 3 minus playable Blaze and plus Wisp power-ups. That said, I wouldn't mind a proper follow-up to Rush Adventure that builds on the "Explore map to discover action stages" element and Brings back Blaze as a playable character.

And yeah, this thread feels very similar to the "Games you like that others hated" thread, but I guess this is a bit more general.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

"Rush without Blaze" is not Rush, but my main concern is the lack of a dedicated handheld Sonic game nowadays. Advance/Pinball Party/Battle was as important to the franchise as the flagship games when they were released, and Rush was the spiritual successor to those games (as was Chronicles). Handheld titles that are only spinoffs of other console Sonic games do not count.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

I'll agree that its a bit of a shame that the 3DS only got watered down ports of console Sonics, and while the Rivals games weren't, best I can tell, as well received as the Advance Trilogy or Rush Doulogy, I wish the Vita had at least seen a Rivals 3(though I also think the Vita would've been the perfect place for handheld ports of the Adventure Doulogy). Here's hoping we can eventually get a Sonic Switch that isn't simply a portable version of the next Sonic for PS4/Xbone.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

The treasure hunting gameplay is better than regular Sonic gameplay, and I come back to the Adventure games more for Knuckles than anyone else.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: help shawty my son is emo

Post by ChillyChao »

Sonic 1, Sonic 3, Sonic 3 & K, S&K, Sonic CD and Sonic Mania are terrible games.
im just saying if the glass was gone in the glass coffin scene hoffman and strahm would have been kissing
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

This is the controversial opinion topic, not the wrong opinion topic.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

ChillyChao wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:06 pmSonic 1, Sonic 3, Sonic 3 & K, S&K, Sonic CD and Sonic Mania are terrible games.
ChillyChao wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:06 pmSonic 3 & K
S3&K is one of the two games on the planet I can call a masterpiece how dare you

---

...Wait, why bother separating 3, S&K, and S3&K? S3&K is superior to both.

- - -
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by ChillyChao »

^
Aren't they seperate games? Oh well.
Yeah i just don't like the classic games. (Except Sonic 2) They just aren't fun and are incredibly hard and not in a fun way like Sonic Adventure 2 (mostly) was.
im just saying if the glass was gone in the glass coffin scene hoffman and strahm would have been kissing
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

They're technically separate, but Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles are really just Part 1 and Part 2 of the same game, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, so you might as well grade them as the same game.

Also... Sonic 3 is harder than Sonic 2?? I didn't play Sonic 1 and 2 past the first levels of those games when I was little because they were too hard and Sonic 3 & K was the only one that was easy enough for me.

Sonic 3 also had a save feature that definitely made it much more bearable for me to play.

sonic 2 also has garbage level design, like random bottomless pits, spikes, and enemies placed haphazardly

like I still find it fun but geez they need to calm down

I honestly don't know how you got through Sonic 2 but not 3.

- - -
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Also S3&K and CD are masterpieces compared to Sonic 2.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by ChillyChao »

chaoadventures wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:26 pm I honestly don't know how you got through Sonic 2 but not 3.
3 has just less fun levels. I dread playing Mushroom Hill or whatever it's called and Ice Cap Zone and Flying Battery zone are just terrible as examples. It offers challenge, but not the fun kind of challange. Sonic 2 had a fun challenge, which was present in every level except Chemical Plant 2 (I still hate that water part) in my opinion.
But oh well, that's just my opinion. I caused an argument here, so i'll leave now.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

I wouldn't really call it much of an "argument" per se, just a bunch of statements of opinions.

Flying Battery is easily seen as a not so fun level, which makes your statement definitely valid. (and I'd also like to know what you don't like about Mushroom Hill because that sounds interesting, since I wrote a whole thing on things people don't like about the classic zones and had nothing to say about it)

I just happen to have the inverse to say about Sonic 2, since I don't like Chemical Plant, Mystic Cave, Wing Fortress, and Death Egg (especially Death Egg) for their both forced and sudden difficulty (insta-death is really not fun for me) which I find to be an aspect that is much more aggravating than anything 3&K has.

- - -
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Post by Mooncow »

I don't think camera angles in Sonic Adventure are a problem at all for anyone used to playing games

I'm happy you need to get emblems from the Chao Races

Open world (Knuckles stages, Adventure stages) are so much fun!

Didn't like Sonic Heroes, but I only played the first few stages.

Not sure why sonic fans have an obsession with all games needing to be running fast in a straight line. To me, Sonic was always much more of a platform game rather than a level racer... The latest games don't really resonate with me unfortunately.
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

For what its worth, Sonic 1 is generally considered the weakest of the Genesis Trilogy, and almost no one really cares for S3 and S&K individually. That said, it does seem a bit extreme to bash an entire game over that one level, though I will agree that Chemical Plant's endgame where you have challengeds where being too hasty means being crushed, but too patient means drowning only to immediately have you jump onto tiny moving platforms is a bit too hard for that early in the game, I do wish Mystic Cave's spike pit was either a trap that sends you to an earlier part of the level or would be a quick death even when Super, and I only give Wing Fortress final platforming over a terminal drop a pass because its the last platforming challenge in the game. S2 Death Egg requiring you to face two final bosses with zero rings does seem a bit unfair even for a final boss(I can't remember, does S1's Final Zone also require you to win with no rings?).

Still, while saying S3K isn't perfect is only controversial, saying it straight up sucks is practically sacrilegious for large parts of the Sonic Fanbase.

Also, what's controversial about being upset with all the straight line, race to the finish gameplay that modern Sonic is sometimes reduced to? Last I checked, complaints about a lack of needing to use momentum to reach hard to reach platforms for big rewards and multiple paths through levels to encourage exploration has been a near constant complaint Since Sonic Adventure hit the Dreamcast.