Did you guys think Sonic Adventure was a good jump to 3D?

This is the forum for discussion about the Sonic Adventure series (originally for Dreamcast and GameCube)! That's SA1, SA2, SADX, and SA2B! Post here for help, or just general chat about it!
Warning! This topic is 10 years and 1 week old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Did you guys think Sonic Adventure was a good jump to 3D?

Post by retrolinkx »

I was thinking this a while ago, many people dislike Sonic Adventure for many reasons, for some it was the fact they hated modern sonic, and things like that, but some say it was the jump to 3D, and that it was done incorrectly.

There wasn't a Sonic game on the Saturn that was in 3D, Sonic X-Treme was cancelled, and it look pretty bad, and didn't show off the Saturn very well, so we never got a 3D Sonic Game until the Dreamcast, and with superior hardware and everything, it was a very good step into 3D.

I thought it was good, the graphics were great, so that's a plus, and the gameplay was great as well, the stages felt good too, stages like Emerald Coast, Speed Highway, Red Mountain and Ice Cap were very good zones, reminiscent of the Mega Drive era, the music was good too (but it's a Sega game, so it's always 10/10)

But, what about you guys. Was Sonic Adventure a terrible jump to 3D, a decent attempt, a good jump, or a perfect jump to 3D, I'd compare it to Mario 64, but it'd be hard to do that because they're different platforms, and such.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Jack Augustine
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Thunder Fang! See you never.

Re: Did you guys think Sonic Adventure was a good jump to 3D

Post by Jack Augustine »

To be honest, I thought it was a great jump to 3D. IT wasn't the trademarked speed of Sonic, but they regained that with the Boost a few games later. They held the true blue perfectly, right to the end, however.
mintdrop
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Motto: \('- '\) live life like it's 2007

Post by mintdrop »

Well technically Sonic R was 3D, so. Also Loudclaw, in the classic Sonic games you didn't really go that fast except in some sections. It was more about strategy. Adventure added a lot more speed into the games (In Sonic and Tails' stages anyway), and you were mostly running so if anything they were a LOT more focused on speed than the classics.

But nonetheless, I think it did a really good job for the more canon jump to 3D! The only games I played prior to that were the 2D ones and Adventure is probably still one of my favourite games ever. So yes! Very good.
ravenyte >> mintdrop
follow my art blog
or if u wanna see a backpack full of rats EMAIL A BROTHA @ EMAIL_A_BROTHA@outlook.com
(00:29:23) Chocolate_Chao: I don't need cute art from a scumbag like you...
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Sonic R was the proper and better transition to 3D.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

Sonic R was a a racing game, it's nothing like Sonic Adventure, you can't really say it was a proper jump to 3D.

It'd be like saying if Mario Kart 64 came before Mario 64, you'd be saying it was a great jump for Mario, when it's not similar to the gameplay.
Last edited by retrolinkx on Sun May 05, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Mario Kart 64 wasn't 3D, so your point is null
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

^Mario Kart 64 has a 3D perspective and 3D tracks, which was 3D for that era. Even the character models have a rolling cart animation when they explode.

I always felt like SA was hastily thrown together when compared to Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie, games that precede its development and pull off the genre with polish. Stage design was pretty inconsistent and didn't flow, and any character that wasn't Sonic was never fully realized because stages never demanded much more than charging through, even with Knuckles. The platforming aspect of Sonic games did not transition well. Compare to SA2 where each stage is built around you carefully using your character's abilities to proceed, something that reflected the 2D games better, although neither hold up to contemporary installments mechanically. It was only after achieving this balance Sonic posed any real modern relevance. That said, SA was a competent foray into 3D, but it lacked foresight and never aged well. Reviewers at the time agreed the game was fun, but lack of polish and the frustratingly clunky mechanics prevented enjoyable replay value, which is similar to how I perceive it. Still, it is a worthwhile roots experience and did breathe life back into a dying franchise.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Sonic Labyrinth and Sonic 3D Blast had Sonic moving in 3D before even Sonic R, so there is he question of what one means when they say 3D in regards to gaming. And while Sonic R is squarely in the realm of Spin-Offs, its game engine could be used for a Sonic platformer. Hell, Sonic R pretty much IS a platformer, just that the Levels form a closed loop and the main game mode has you racing against the computer to the goal.

Digressions aside, for the being the first fully-polygonal, free-roaming mainline Sonic Game, Sonic Adventure is a decent attempt, Though even the Gamecube port feels like a late beta instead of a finished game, and it feels really experimental in its assortment of Gameplay styles. Also does not help that its visuals tried to do realism, leaving them looking dated as opposed to the Timelessness the more fantastical visuals of the Genesis Trilogy pulled off. Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, and the original Spyro the Dragon, among other N64 and PS1 games pulled off the free-roaming 3D platformer much better, and have aged much better, but considering the struggles Sega faced during the Saturn Era, I think they did a decent Job bringing Sonic into 3D. SA2 did take the best of what Sonic Adventure did and gave it the polish that SA1 should have had, and its a bit of a shame that the Post-Dreamcast Era Sonic Team failed to continue polishing the formula the Adventure Duology created.

Also, the Genesis games, from what I have read from people far better at analyzing games than myself, were largely momentum based whereas Modern Sonic is often more about pure speed and twitch reflexes.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

I love SA1 but I really really don't think it's a good game

I imagine reviewers getting it and saying "IT'S SONIC. AND IT'S 3D YEAHHH!!" and giving it a good score.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

Nova! At the Disco wrote:Sonic R was the proper and better transition to 3D.
^(Which came out before Adventure)
dracomageat
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by dracomageat »

Adventure was a decent attempt IMO but, having played SA2 first, I find it feels too much like a prototype and not enough like its own game.
Speeps
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher

Post by Speeps »

Sonic Jam came out (Which also included 3D) before Sonic R, so everyone's points about Sonic R are invalid.

As for Sonic Adventure, it was a pretty good attempt but it probably only missed out on being perfect by some of the ridiculous gameplay and other requirements for emblems (Looking at you, Froggy)

Although, the scenery in some of the levels did look a bit empty compared to games like Mario 64.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

^Sonic Jam in itself, while true it was a 3D game, was pretty much an alpha/beta of just a 3D engine game.
LJ DARKTHUNDER
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME.

Post by LJ DARKTHUNDER »

I think it was a perfect jump for a 3D sonic game.
Goron
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: love yall miss yall bunch of chao nerds!!! sa2 was fate

Post by Goron »

sonic 3d blast 2 would have been a much better jump into 3d
it was nice to find my own little place on the internet
JHock115
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: START DA BUS!

Post by JHock115 »

3D Blast was 3d, but not a 3d perspective game as it was in one angle. But yes, Sonic Adventure was a great jump to 3d games.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Since the topic was revived for some reason, I will say that Sonic Adventure was a great game, it just aged horribly. The controls don't feel tight, the levels are noticeably constrained and tiny, and honestly, the only honorable mention is the music, which still sounds great.
Narse
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by Narse »

while the camera kinda control kinda sucked at times, it seemed like a good fit. It's not like they stopped making side-scrolling sonic games at this point. Sonic advance 2 was hella fun
Palmpoa
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

あぼーん!

Post by Palmpoa »

あぼーん!
Last edited by Palmpoa on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stelly
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Stelly »

It was glitchy, but I had a lot of fun; so yes.
krzys2
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher
Motto: The key of making chao happy...Is good fruit

Post by krzys2 »

If realy I think Sonic adventure was quite cool :omochao: (I played SonicDx I think it was alittle better yes?)
Image Image Image Image
Legends will never die, so will not cookies