Explanation of the Chao Key glitch?

This is the forum for discussion about the Sonic Adventure series (originally for Dreamcast and GameCube)! That's SA1, SA2, SADX, and SA2B! Post here for help, or just general chat about it!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 1 month old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
MidnightNinetales
Egg
Egg

Explanation of the Chao Key glitch?

Post by MidnightNinetales »

Can somebody give an explanation of the Chao Key glitch? Not how to do it, but why it happens and what causes it.
toffyflame
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: SA2 is what I do!

Re: Explanation of the Chao Key glitch?

Post by toffyflame »

well when using the chao key glitch, you are causing a location glitch that spawns you to an unknown origin sneding you to the first room in the game which is the test room
i hope i am right...i have'nt read about it i a while
Sonic Adventure 2 is what I do! wish me luck on the road to 180 Emblems :surprise:
MidnightNinetales
Egg
Egg

Post by MidnightNinetales »

Sorry, but that's stuff I sort of already knew. I'd like a thorough explanation of every part of the glitch.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

There's no real explanation as to why it happens, but it causes a wrong-warp and sends you either to the first level in the code: the test level, or to another level which is determined by a value that is created depending on the last multiplayer level played.

Come to think of it, this game is really glitchy, I never realized the PAL versions actually have a glitch where the A button is randomly entered. It was really noticeable when naming Chao, eg. clicking the letter S once and having it come up as "SSS", then you'd have to backspace and hope it doesn't delete every letter. I always thought it was a problem on my end. Great quality control SEGA.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I didn't even know there was a Chao Key glitch prior to this thread being created. The only location-related glitch I was aware of was how, if you went directly to the Chao Garden after clearing Cannon's Core Mission 2, you'd be dropped in the Cannon's Core segment after the one wher you got the 100th Ring(and be in Mission 1), which could be used to get impossibly low times by skipping straight to Sonic's segment(by collect ring 100 during Knuckle's segment). I think that glitch had something to do with the memory address that keeps track of what Cannon's core segment your on normally being overwritten when you start a new action stage, but the Chao Garden doesn't overwrite it so exiting the Chao Garden makes the game think you completed the segment you were last in.

As for glitchy games, it's nearly impossible to release any piece of software that is completely bug free, and even S3K(considered by many to be the best Sonic game ever) has a mountain of glitches. Of course, it tends to be the gamebreaking(in the sense that it makes the game ridiculously hard if not impossible) glitches that people complain about while a lot of the glitches found in games that are generally considered good tend to be of the fun variety.