SA2 Steam Controllers

This is the forum for discussion about the Sonic Adventure series (originally for Dreamcast and GameCube)! That's SA1, SA2, SADX, and SA2B! Post here for help, or just general chat about it!
Warning! This topic is 3 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
PrincessPeach
Child Chao
Child Chao

SA2 Steam Controllers

Post by PrincessPeach »

Hey guys, I'm planning on getting the game soon, so I wanna be prepared. I've never played a steam game before, so I was wondering what kinds of controllers work. Or is using the keyboard bearable? I only own nintendo systems, so I'm hoping to be able to purchase a somewhat cheap controller. I also heard it's possible to connect a wiiu gamepad to the pc, but would that work with SA2?
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: SA2 Steam Controllers

Post by chaoadventures »

SA2 is very uncomfortable to play without a controller for me, but bearable. I can't say whether or not that's because I've been playing the GameCube version my whole life and then played SA2 on the PC.

As for connecting one, if a controller you have doesn't work with SA2 (which I don't think any actually do) you can always use Joy2Key, which is frustrating to setup sometimes but, let's you use any controller (as long as your computer thinks it's a controller at least) and makes their button inputs turn into keyboard presses. So theoretically, the GamePad should work too.

I actually use a GameCube controller to play SA2 on the PC with this (which getting to work is as unorthodox as square wheels), so you should be fine.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
PrincessPeach
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by PrincessPeach »

Ooh. A Gamecube controller sounds ideal, since that's what I've used for SA2 all my life. I'll definately look into that. I just figured the GC controller would not be possible. Thanks.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Glad to help. To make it simpler on you, here's what you need:

The Wii U GameCube Controller Adapter (the same one that was sold out during the 7 months or so after Smash Bros. U came out. The some of the bootlegs might work too.)

Any GameCube controller (yes, you can use the same ones that were there from 2002, but the new ones are well, new. And like $30 each.)

This program and the tutorial on the same page.

Joy2Key.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
PrincessPeach
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by PrincessPeach »

Thanks, i really appreciate it. I've been meaning to get that adaptor for smash anyways! :chaohappy:
Onsokumaru
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: Klaatu barada nikto

Post by Onsokumaru »

The steam version works with the xbox 360 and xbox one controlers.
ChrisOfChaos
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by ChrisOfChaos »

I use a Gamestop Xbox 360 Controller on SA2 for the PC all the time. You just have to set it to the controller in the launcher and it should work.
PrincessPeach
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by PrincessPeach »

My friend recently gave me this generic controller that connects to the PC. Guess I'll try that first. (still haven't gotten the game yet) If that fails, gc controller will be my next attempt. Then xbox 360 if all else fails.
GoopyDumpy
Egg
Egg

Post by GoopyDumpy »

I use an Xbox 360 controller that I configured with my steam account which works well ^^
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

The XBox 360 controller is the only controller that's officially supported universally by Steam as far as I know, but it's possible to download files that trick Steam into thinking a PS3 Dualshock is a 360 controller due to them having all the same buttons and functionality, and that's what I do.

I'm not entirely sure about how to use other kinds of controllers though, and I've also never tried Joy2Key. I did however once try to use my USB Gamecube port for the Wii U, but it didn't work really well (or at all except for one game, being SADX), but it may be because I didn't download something or set it up correctly.

EDIT: Wait, I just now realized this thread is from 2016 (O_o)