Real Life Biology Applied to Chao

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 11 years and 11 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Real Life Biology Applied to Chao

Post by Mamkute »

Well, it has been a great while since I posted anything, but I have been motivated to apply my school studies to chao. Specifically my learnings in the class of AP Biology. I also understand that very people here will care, but I am enjoying seeing trends in chao life. I may post another application later.

1) Evolution & Chao Inheritance of Genes: Chao pass on color and patterning genes in a very predictable fashion. Traditional Punnet Square mechanism, with separation of alleles. But the genes for grades don't. Genes for grades in stats actually change as chao get older.
Of course, by modern understanding of genes, traits gained over the course of life are not passed on. Unless we wish to apply the now-accepted-as-wrong evolutionary theory of Lamarck. He made his theory pre-Darwin about evolution. It is the idea that an organism becomes more complex over its lifetime, and passes that increased complexity to its kids. The giraffe example: A proto-giraffe extends its neck because it wants to reach leaves, and that gradual neck lengthening result in very long necks over generations.
So, to go back to chao, here is a hypothetical population of 5 chao, all with E's in Stamina. Without interfering, assuming they all mate successfully, and with all chao not going through reincarnation, After several generations, the entire population will all have S's in Stamina. Applied Lamarckism.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Re: Real Life Biology Applied to Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

^Bravo, this is the sort of thing I like to see. Though really nothing described is especially informative compared to what you observe in the game.

If you can explain how Chao reproduce, THEN I'll give you a hug.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

I will admit that this was not necessary to make in any way whatsoever, but I enjoy. I am going to assume most of all that the creators did not give a thought about the relation to their system to Lamarck. They just made the system that way because it was funner, and had a continued generational effect. Adding traits up is funner than Darwin's "kill things off if they don't meet selection" system.

And chao mating is ridiculous! Instantaneous formulation of an egg made by 'hugging.' Works to the point of it being a child's game, I suppose.
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

I find genetics fascinating. I was pretty thrilled when I discovered that you can get two-toned color chao by breeding colors and a normal chao. Chao could only be more awesome if they had genetics as interesting as that in the Creatures series. Though Creatures could be considered more survival of the fittest than this considering some of their genes could mutate through generations to the point where they could live forever if they managed to continue to find foods and things they needed.

xD Speaking of the Creatures series, the Norns in that game reproduce by 'kiss popping', so I'd buy the 'hugging' mating chao have.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
Mayo
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Motto: Hey hey! This is SapphireChao

Post by Mayo »

This seems a little relevant soo....

COPYPASTA TIEM:
Spoiler:
There is even less sense around the...mechanics of how chao reproduce. I obviously use that term loosely. All they do is rub their cute little faces together until the power of love spawns an egg. Not much logic in that. Here's my idea of how chao would actually breed.

NUTHER BIG FILE.
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2016/theory01.png

CHAO SEX: IT DOESN'T EXIST

In my interpretation, chao have no sex organs. I say this because that's just wrong and gross. Therefore, chao do not reproduce sexually. They reproduce by much more innocent means: pollination.

I'll start off with an explanation. Chao have what you could call "spores" in their faces, much like the scent glands of cats. Kind of like human sperm and egg cells, when these spores unite, there is a reaction. However, there is a major difference here. All spores are the same, so any two genders can mate together; two males, two females, or a male and a female. Which genders mate doesn't make a difference. The only reason chao don't produce eggs with their selves is because an egg can't form from a group of spores with identical genes...and there's some other science behind it that I'll explain next.

Before I go into the process, let me elaborate on these spores. These spores are made up of cells that contain the data for a new chao. When united, they develop an embryo. Most of the time, these cells are dormant. Mating season is a time in a chao's life during which they are active, able to produce eggs. The cells also contain some metals. We all know that metal expands as temperature increases (and if you didn't, now you do), so pay attention.

1: Two chao, both ready to mate, rub their faces together.

2: The friction caused by this action creates heat; enough to expand the spores. They branch out and link. Shortly a visible cluster is formed.

3: Chao separate. The cluster falls to the ground. It is too delicate to touch, so chao immediately make a mark by it and guard the area staunchly. A protective membrane quickly forms around the cluster.

4: The egg does not actually appear instantly. Over a period of several days, the cells rapidly fuse together and grow.

STAGES OF EMBRYONIC DEVELOPMENT

1: Cells are fusing together inside the membrane. All germs are blocked out but it is too weak to hold an embryo just yet.

2: Membrane has periodically thickened and is translucent; zygote can barely be seen in the center.

3: Hard outer shell is near formed. Egg is the size of a large bowling ball. Zygote is beginning to develop into a living child.

4: Egg shell is complete, egg is the size of a watermelon. Embryo is growing and the beginning of sentient life is drawing near.

5: Hatched hatchling is hatched!

Make sense now?

P.S.: Regarding chao genders...there is a difference between sex and gender. Sex is your biological structure that determines whether or not you can bear children or...spit them out. Gender is what you identify as.
Chao have no sex, but their behavior and appearance differ depending on their gender.

originally from: http://chaobreederxl2.proboards.com/ind ... z1rKDHRJj6
Spoiler:
In geometry class today, I was doodling a chao skull in the back of my workbook when I had the awesome idea to brainstorm how these guys really work. They're anatomically incorrect...by human standards, anyway. I'm a massive science junkie, so I decided to make them correct.

WARNING: BIG FILE
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5391/theory1.png

The image I have posted here contains my theory on how the chao body works. I'm gonna type out the text because it's hard to see it in the picture.

HOW THE F*** DO THESE THINGS WORK

First off, chao are delicate creatures. If they didn't have the defense mechanisms in their bodies, they'd be incredibly easy to injure and infect. Let's go over this.

Chao have a pudding-y outer texture, correct? Their insides are fragile and their immune system is weak. They need plenty of protection against falls, cuts etc. I theorize a gelatinous layer of soft tissue that lies above the fat and muscle, just under the skin. This thick mass acts as a cushion that absorbs shock and greatly decreases the chance of infection.

Now on to ears and nose...holes. You may notice that they don't exist on a chao. In my opinion, they do. Since chao's immune systems are weak, any orifice they have that cannot be closed is shielded. Over where the holes in the skull are for ears and otherwise, the layer of tissue thins and is slightly expanded. The slight expansion creates tiny holes, like pores, in the skin and tissue itself. These holes are actually microscopic tubes down which sound travels smoothly; hearing is normal.

Chao have fingers. The bones are short and thick. They barely protrude from the skin when in use, but the reason they can still hold things is because they're so squishy...whatever they're holding kind of sinks into the skin.

Now the feet! Three fat toes, work the same way the fingers do; usually hidden, protrude when they're being used to a relatively great extent. Chao don't necessarily have legs. What they have is a ball at the top of the foot and base of either side of the pelvis, connected by joints. The foot pivots on this. The foot can be bent so that a "knee" forms from this ball.

The wings are simple and are much like that of a pteranodon or rhamphorynchus. Linked bones create the outer frame of the wing, and then the skin is stretched taut across these bones. The rest is a no-brainer

Originally from: http://chaobreederxl2.proboards.com/ind ... z1rKE0tK8A
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I like Mayo's idea of Chao reproducing via spores that are released when they rub their faces against each other.

As for their physical anatomy, while Chao are bipedal(a trait usually exclusive to vertebrates), I think that Chao might actually be invertebrate, and might lack anything resembling a proper skeleton. Given their ability to fly despite having tiny insect-like wings, they likely have a very small body weight and are possibly supported by internal air sacs. Given their semi-aquatic nature, it is possible that their skin(which is likely hairless, though possibly scaly) serves as a respiratory membrane, allowing them to absorb oxygen from both the air and water. Of course, this would require that their skin be constantly moist if not augmented with internal lungs. Rather than manipulatable digits on their hands and feet, the likely have a gripping ability similar to that of the Gecko, which would also explain their talent for climbing sheer cliffs.

Now most interesting about Chao is that they have the ability to absorb DNA from other lifeforms and recombine it with their own. When they grab hold of a small animal, their gecko grip would scrape of a few layers of skin cells from the small animal. These cells would then be absorbed through the Chao's skin, where the Chao's immune system would attempt to either destroy or assimilate the invading cells. Depending on where the Chao's bloodstream takes the absorbed genetic material, it fuses to cells in the local tissues and triggers the mutations that cause the appearance of animal parts. A Chao's reproductive organs are isolated from these effects by something similar to the blood-brain barrier that exists in humans and other species with complex nervous system, ensuring that the mutations caused by this process do not interfere with the Chao's fertility. The recombinant Chao-animal DNA also triggers the varies switches that affect a Chao's growth and metamorphosis.

Speaking of metamorphosis, when a Chao enters its Blue Cocoon, the mechanisms that control what will be as an adult analyzes the cumulative DNA recombination the Chao underwent during childhood, and the results triggering a permanent mutation in the Chao's own, unrecombined genetic code: The inheritable stat rank boost.

Also, since it can be assumed that the whole 3 Hours Real-Time = 1 Year Chao-Time was done to make for an interesting game, I think it safe to assume that other biological events were also sped up, though not necessarily by the same factor. By the way, at the same factor 1 Minute Real-Time = 2 days, 40 minutes Chao-Time, so using the same factor(2920) might still leave the gestation and metamorphosis times too short to be realistic.
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Post by CitrusCat »

Mayo wrote:Three fat toes
Your so-called "research" is flawed, my friend. You see, Chao do not have fat toes. And assuming the Chao doesn't have any Animal Parts, it doesn't have any toes at all! You see, when Chao adapted to gain the ability of copying Animal Parts, their natural bodies became more simplistic than that of their ancestors. They did keep fingers, or rather, stubs, so they can grab. (Like you said.) However, the toes served no purpose. So as the ancestor evolved into the Chao we know today, the toes disappeared completely, leaving no trace whatsoever that there used to be toes, aside from tiny bones that serve no purpose. (Like a whale's "leg bones".) And thus the modern Chao has no toes, unless it has certain Animal Parts. Understand?
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

^A number of beings in the Sonic universe seem to lack toes. Sonic, Tikal, and Big are all shown to lack destinguishable toes- presumably all anthros are like this. Ironically, Chaos, a mutated Chao, does have toes.
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote: Also, since it can be assumed that the whole 3 Hours Real-Time = 1 Year Chao-Time was done to make for an interesting game, I think it safe to assume that other biological events were also sped up, though not necessarily by the same factor. By the way, at the same factor 1 Minute Real-Time = 2 days, 40 minutes Chao-Time, so using the same factor(2920) might still leave the gestation and metamorphosis times too short to be realistic.
It is specifically stated that time works differently in the Chao Gardens than in the Sonicverse proper. Most likely, the Chao life cycle is much, much slower in reality compared to what game play would suggest. Consider Cheese, an important Chao in-universe that has changed very little over the course of the series.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

Mewtamer, I think the most interesting part of chao in a real life view is the ability to transform, and their highly dynamic DNA. Do they take in the DNA of the animals (and drives...?) when they touch them, much like bacteria can take in foreign DNA? In that case, they are a ridiculous example of the bacterial ability of transformation. And then the permanent change, resulting in a change in genes is interesting as well.

Not to mention the reincarnation of chao, and how that relates to their DNA. Almost as though they return to their 'spore' state when close to death, or even split into a separate egg/spore, identical to the parent. Making them also capable of the same genetic code living forever, assuming favorable conditions. And also capable of a sort of asexual reproduction.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Since you mentioned bacteria, I have realized that the pink cocoon and subsequent return to an egg has some similarities to bacterial Endospores. The chief difference being that endospores are formed as a defense mechanism in unfavorable environments whereas a Chao's regeneration is a normal physiological response to old age.

As for the Chaos Drives, considering that they have kept the Artificial Chaos aboard the ARK functioning for over fifty years, it is likely that they are some sort of nuclear battery, perhaps producing the same kind of radiation as the Chaos Emeralds. Given that one of the original goals of Gerald Robotnik's research was finding the secret to immortality(or at least a cure-all for terminal illnesses), the Chao's regenerative abilities coupled with Chaos Chao's apparent immortality probably caught his eyes, with the Chaos Drives being a by-product of experiments to better understand how Chao grow stronger over time. I daresay that the Artificial Chaos might even be the results of such experiments on the Chao. Using the Drives as batteries might have just been a practical afterthought.

As for what happens when a Chao drains a Chaos Drive: Each drive absorbed results in a fairly consistent dosage of a specific type of radiation that has a specific effect on the Chao's growth. They do not cause the physical mutations that small animals do as there is no extra DNA being added to the mix, just radiation effecting switches in the Chao's existing DNA. If the hypothesis that Chaos Drive produce the same kind of radiation as the Chaos Emeralds, it is likely that giving a Chao a Chaos Emerald would produce similar results, but on a much greater level. Continueing from here, it is possible that Chaos is what results when a Chao is exposed to the Emeralds for an extended period of time, and we all know what happens to Chaos when it wields all seven directly with negative emotions.
Enzo03
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao
Motto: Resident forum dinosaur.

Post by Enzo03 »

You know how some people at MIT (I think) put together a paper on Tiberium? Yeah, that kind of Tiberium. What would be cool is if a group from some institute did a white paper on Chao.
Steam: crazyenzo03 - Discord: Enzo03 #2547
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote: As for the Chaos Drives, considering that they have kept the Artificial Chaos aboard the ARK functioning for over fifty years, it is likely that they are some sort of nuclear battery, perhaps producing the same kind of radiation as the Chaos Emeralds.
Chaos Drives are most likely small, man-made Chaos Emeralds. Each Chaos Drive contains a tiny sliver of crystal that resembles the material the Emeralds are made out of. The same game has Tails showing off his fake Chaos Emerald, no doubt created through the same process. Gerald may indeed have studied Chao in his quest for immortality- it would explain why his research into things like the Knuckles Clan, Chaos, and the Chaos Emeralds converged with Project: Shadow.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

Mewtamer, those endospores are very interesting. It seems reminiscent of chao, with modification. And how a large creature, not something so small, could do the same thing, seems strange.

The hypothesis on the chaos drives, and their relations to Chaos, Chao, and the Chaos Emeralds, are all very interesting, and quite likely. However, the problem there arises in how the drives induce a specific stat alteration. Would a full Chaos Emerald give influence to any sort of stat, or even by color coding (in which case, what does white and cyan and such do.) Or would they just propel the chao to a state of Chaos Chao (similar to Chaos, just more natural.)

And Enzo, that sounds amazing. Not sure if there is enough support for that, but who knows. I hope I will encounter people interested in chao at college.
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Post by CitrusCat »

Citrus_Chao wrote:So as the ancestor evolved into the Chao we know today, the toes disappeared completely, leaving no trace whatsoever that there used to be toes, aside from tiny bones that serve no purpose. (Like a whale's "leg bones".)
To add to this theory of mine, I must clarify that the tiny bones that I mention look nothing like the ones in Mayo's picture: They are much smaller and thinner than Mayo's version, so small that they are hardly noticeable. I predict that, as evolution goes on, they will become one with the foot bone, or in other words, they will gradually morph with the foot bone and basically be gone completely. I believe that when ancient Chao ancestors evolved to gain their Animal Part-copying skills, their bodies changed to have the pudding-like texture so they could easily change form. This also allowed them to evolve into different types of Chao such as the Run Type. And this pudding-like texture decreases injury (like Mayo said), so if the lack of toes causes the Chao to trip (which Chao often do, thus making my theory more likely... I think...), the Chao will not be injured, unlike a person would be if they fell. That is part of the reason why modern day Chao lack toes: When they got their pudding-like skin, they no longer needed toes to keep balance as tripping no longer harms them. So Mayo's sketch of the Chao's foot was not like that of the modern Chao's foot at all, it was more similar to one of the Chao's ancestors, back when they had real toes. (The rest of the sketches were accurate, however.)

Now, I may explain more on this later. But I would like to try to figure out the logical explanation for the "exploded Chao glitch"...
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")